General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not only 2 days before but they got back early Friday, then had to travel to the game

how can they be focused on anything with such a heavy schedule? We don’t expect players to play Thursday/ Saturday but it’s ok for refs to moonlight?

the whole thing stinks 

So he's working out of the public eye  watching a game whilst presumably being a bit jet lagged.. drifted off to sleep / zoned out, realised he'd been asked to check a goal he hadn't seen in real time (nor the fact it was ruled out on the pitch), and then said "check complete" after a cursory panicked check. 

Sounds fairly plausible. 

Can't wait to see the transcript for this one to come out...although part of me thinks that's what they want...another product they can sell/ interest they can generate..."VAR decisions gone bad". It creates media attention, clicks and views. 

Edited by MrBlack

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree they’ve been consistently allowing them, but it’s a **** shit decision. There’s no way they should be allowed and if it had happened at the other end we’d all be (rightly) fuming

Happened a few weeks back on the first Liverpool goal that Emi couldnt see through a player

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The liverpool offside was a new low for VAR mistakes. 

Although one of the worst decisions of the day was allowing one of our goals to stand 👀

I dont agree if your referring to the zaniolo goal. Those ones are are always very questionable if he is blocking/interfering with play.

Personally think offside is offside whether you are interfering with play or not

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I've said before that giving refs the ability to delegate responsibility to VAR that has degraded the quality of officiating. 

Refs have become risk averse, and they are now in a constant game of 'pass the responsibility' with the VAR guys. 

The irony here is that the linesman did put his flag up (incorrectly) for offside - exactly the scenario where he should be keeping his flag down to allow VAR to check.

There's so much wrong with the implementation, it's daft. If the lino keeps their flag down and the ball goes for a corner, the attacking team still get the corner even if the play was offside.

PGMOL are one of the worst things about the game right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

The irony here is that the linesman did put his flag up (incorrectly) for offside - exactly the scenario where he should be keeping his flag down to allow VAR to check.

Didn't he allow play to continue then put his flag up when the play had finished, which is the correct protocol (other than getting the decision wrong, obviously).

What they're not meant to do is put the flag up before play finishes, so he'd have been acting improperly by stopping them having the chance to score a goal for VAR to review.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Didn't he allow play to continue then put his flag up when the play had finished, which is the correct protocol (other than getting the decision wrong, obviously).

What they're not meant to do is put the flag up before play finishes, so he'd have been acting improperly by stopping them having the chance to score a goal for VAR to review.

Oh, thinking back you may be right actually. My bad.

It's just all so rubbish, and they know it. Hence why they don't want the audio to be broadcast in real time. 

I understand that there may be some issues with the language for TV broadcasters, but surely they could operate a 5 second delay, or do what they do for the F1 comms broadcast.

There's no reason to be opaque unless they know themselves that there's a serious shortfall in the standard of officiating.

50 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

There's so much wrong with the implementation, it's daft. If the lino keeps their flag down and the ball goes for a corner, the attacking team still get the corner even if the play was offside.

PGMOL are one of the worst things about the game right now.

Yeah, this is a great point. He's only supposed to flag when someone is blatantly unquestionably miles off side. We've all seem some of ours where its absolutely clear a player is offside but the lino let's play go on and you're wondering how the **** he can't see that's clearly offside with no question. 

So what the **** is this guy doing putting his flag up when there is clearly someone at worst in line with the attacker. The guy was onside, how can any competent lino decide there was absolutely zero doubt about offside? 

The whole thing stinks. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, this is a great point. He's only supposed to flag when someone is blatantly unquestionably miles off side. We've all seem some of ours where its absolutely clear a player is offside but the lino let's play go on and you're wondering how the **** he can't see that's clearly offside with no question. 

So what the **** is this guy doing putting his flag up when there is clearly someone at worst in line with the attacker. The guy was onside, how can any competent lino decide there was absolutely zero doubt about offside? 

The whole thing stinks. 

He let the play run then flagged, didn’t he? Like they all do. 

3 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

The worst thing about the whole shambles of yesterday is that it's made non-Liverpool fans have sympathy for Liverpool, and that is not acceptable on any level

And that they'll get favourable treatment off officials for the rest of the season to make up for it

Just now, bobzy said:

He let the play run then flagged, didn’t he? Like they all do. 

Yes, I saw the subsequent responses to the OP. 

Still a shocking offside decision though. How can he not see the guy playing him onside by a good couple of feet? 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yes, I saw the subsequent responses to the OP. 

Still a shocking offside decision though. How can he not see the guy playing him onside by a good couple of feet? 

It’s not that big IMO. I’ve got no issue with the linesman getting that wrong - it’s what VAR is there to correct. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s not that big IMO. I’ve got no issue with the linesman getting that wrong - it’s what VAR is there to correct. 

When you consider all the things they have to take into account, I'm amazed they get it right as often as they do.

The relative position of the ball, multiple attackers, last defender(s), all at the exact second the ball is played which is often literally impossible to be watching all those things. You can focus on the line and listen for the kick of the ball but if the stadium's noisy that's easier said than done. The rule has got gradually more complex over the years with little consideration for how the guy running the line is meant to assess all of it in a moment.

All the more reason to take offside decisions away from ARs entirely, when it's considered a "matter of fact" for VAR to review, what's even the point of the AR trying anymore?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Blatant justifyable shout for a penalty in the Forest v Brentford game.

Wissa runs towards the ball as the keeper is getting it out of his feet. Wissa nips it away from the keeper's kicking motion, which then subsequently misses the ball and brings Wissa down.

As the ball was still heading towards the goal, Wissa gets straight back up to try and score so the ref ignores it. No apparent VAR check.

Had Wissa stayed down and appealed harder he would have been more likely to get the pen (which IMO he should have got anyway). 

The reason players exaggerate most of the time is because the officials don't know what they're looking at, and need a neon sign to highlight a foul. 

They ref the outcome and not the challenge itself. Idiots.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Yeah - if he stays down and rolls about then it’s a penalty. But because he’s honest about it; NO PEN. So daft. 

A lot of the officials simply do not understand what they're looking at. 

They're waiting for the outcome of an event to determine what action (if any) they take. I can understand the onfield ref maybe being unsure about what he's seen and erring on the side of caution, but there no excuse for the VAR not to give him the opportunity to review it on the monitor.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

When you consider all the things they have to take into account, I'm amazed they get it right as often as they do.

The relative position of the ball, multiple attackers, last defender(s), all at the exact second the ball is played which is often literally impossible to be watching all those things. You can focus on the line and listen for the kick of the ball but if the stadium's noisy that's easier said than done. The rule has got gradually more complex over the years with little consideration for how the guy running the line is meant to assess all of it in a moment.

All the more reason to take offside decisions away from ARs entirely, when it's considered a "matter of fact" for VAR to review, what's even the point of the AR trying anymore?

I've said all along they need to get away from the clear and obvious error nonsense and just say what they see. 

Â