Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Barkley’s was blatantly a petulant act.

Sanson was clearly a guy extremely pissed that he was responsible for giving the goal away as well as subconsciously knowing that he’d missed an opportunity to stake a claim for a starting spot. 

if that’s what the manager believes (as per his interviews) why is there even a need to question it further.

This is where I am, completely different kettle of fish ( do your best lads, that's the set up ).

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Congratulations, you've found a quote from last season that fits your narrative. 

Wanting to score against your parent club because you were out of favor is a little different from clearly not putting in much effort for the majority of his loan.

It wasn't against his parent club though, was it, as he was on loan and couldn't play them. It was against piddling Everton, as if he has a special vendetta against the club he grew up playing for.

Barkley cared until he didn't, just like a majority of players out there including some that we've idolized as a fan base over the years. Regardless, I don't excuse him or anyone else for aggressive behaviour off the pitch, kicking bottles and generally throwing toys out the pram.

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It wasn't against his parent club though, was it, as he was on loan and couldn't play them. It was against piddling Everton, as if he has a special vendetta against the club he grew up playing for.

Barkley cared until he didn't, just like a majority of players out there including some that we've idolized as a fan base over the years. Regardless, I don't excuse him or anyone else for aggressive behaviour off the pitch, kicking bottles and generally throwing toys out the pram.

I think he most probably regrets that, hence the public apology (must be a French thing, cough.... Cantona)

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I think he most probably regrets that, hence the public apology (must be a French thing, cough.... Cantona)

Zidane loved a moment of madness too (14 red cards), so there could be something to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Exactly. My point is many people didn't defend Barkley at the time because he was only on loan. It's petty parochialism. I don't like to see any highly-paid professional lash out like a mopey teenager, particularly where it involves Villa supporters (however indirectly), regardless of what club they play for.

no. people didn't defend him because he kicked off at being subbed after showing zero effort. it was pure petulance. it didn't help that he was being criticised heavily around that time to the point that there were theories around him being contracted to play games as we could see no other reason

have no problem with a player being angry that they made a mistake. sometimes footballers can't win. you see players smiling in the dugout when their team's losing and they get criticsed for that too. i'm sure whoever got splashed by the water got a shirt or something so alls well that ends well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Loads jumping to his defence.

Wonder how many jumped to Ross Barkley's defence for doing the same thing last year. 🤔

Maybe it's because Sanson is clearly passionate about playing and works **** hard which is why he has nearly 50% more presses per 90 than any of our other midfielders. Barkley refused to move a yard to press someone 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Barkley’s was blatantly a petulant act.

Sanson was clearly a guy extremely pissed that he was responsible for giving the goal away as well as subconsciously knowing that he’d missed an opportunity to stake a claim for a starting spot. 

if that’s what the manager believes (as per his interviews) why is there even a need to question it further.

Yep barkley also had a full minute to cool down as he walked round the pitch and took his boots and socks off. 

5 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Most pressures is just wrong. He has 2 fewer per 90 than Luiz, 5 fewer than ramsey. Like 5 fewer than nakamba, 14 fewer than Sanson. Got the worst passing accuracy of all our midfielders bar Sanson and as you say limited sample size so the percentages are biased though historically it's been about the same for both.

Sanson has also been one of our 5 best players in every game he's started so I think he deserves the opportunity for more game time. 

Apologies I misread that, late night post that was. The reason McGinns passing accuracy doesn’t bother me is because he gets the ball and is progressive with it, will try balls over the defence etc. Watching how we’re starting to play now I don’t know if our game suits Mcginn now anyway, but I do think he’s still being underrated  

I want to see Sanson get a decent run in the starting xi. I think he's got the quality to earn it and keep the likes of mcginn and dougie fighting each and every session to say otherwise. 

McGinn has graft and ambition, Dougie has potential and an understated skill set. I see Sanson as having a more refined and adequate array of skill on and off the ball to play either as a deeper lying or central midfielder at this level, from what I've seen of him outside of Villa showings.

Shame he made that blunder pass and had to come off for Coutinho. I know Gerrard said he didn't want to take off goal potential, but Sanson can offer that indirectly through winning the ball and his delivery with it, potentially more potent for goal threat than what ings and Watkins offer as is.

Many variables in finding your feet and role in a club whereby its all new and you've got to prove yourself among more established and entitled players, but I see him as having the football capability and nous.

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I want to see Sanson get a decent run in the starting xi. I think he's got the quality to earn it and keep the likes of mcginn and dougie fighting each and every session to say otherwise. 

McGinn has graft and ambition, Dougie has potential and an understated skill set. I see Sanson as having a more refined and adequate array of skill on and off the ball to play either as a deeper lying or central midfielder at this level, from what I've seen of him outside of Villa showings.

Shame he made that blunder pass and had to come off for Coutinho. I know Gerrard said he didn't want to take off goal potential, but Sanson can offer that indirectly through winning the ball and his delivery with it, potentially more potent for goal threat than what ings and Watkins offer as is.

Many variables in finding your feet and role in a club whereby its all new and you've got to prove yourself among more established and entitled players, but I see him as having the football capability and nous.

I agree with Sanson showing quality.

Also think its difficult for Gerrard to pick out a midfield 3.

We got Mcginn, Luiz, Sanson, Ramsey (can also say Chuk?).

Only Luiz suits the DM style (even though he isnt perfect for it).

By playing Sanson we hamper the development of Ramsey/Chuk. I feel Sanson is fighting with Mcginn for a spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MentalM said:

By playing Sanson we hamper the development of Ramsey/Chuk. I feel Sanson is fighting with Mcginn for a spot.

I'm not as excited for JJ and Chuk to be on field as much as others on here.

My care factor for them being academy graduates is fairly minimal as even junior club sport is cut throat in terms of recruitment and poaching talent. I want to see as many academy graduates as possible but because Villa have that model down well as opposed to seeing a few players make it every few years or so.

That said, Ramsey has earned his spot and until his form dithers he should retain his place. If that does happen though even slightly, I think Sanson should come in if he is up to standard in training, just to be given a chance at holding it down.

Ramsey has so long left to develop and then mould himself into the finished article. McGinn is at his peak and is in no way deserving to have that sidelined.

Dougie needs the games right now to go from the potential he has to becoming a more experienced and competent midfield general that he can be at his best. Otherwise he's just going to stunt his progress as his role has been a difficult one to really define and therefore own.

Sanson has shown such clear ability in France and I think given half a dozen games in a system that allows him to express that as well as adhering to his roles duties and we could have another class player that adds immense value both on the market and the field.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MentalM said:

Chukwuemeka looks like he will competing with Coutinho, Bailey, Traore and Buendia for one of the two 10's that Gerrard plays. 

I'm basing that purely on where he's been playing as a substitute this season under Gerrard. 

• Like 1

I just don't think it's going to work out for him here. 
I was frustrated at Smith for not giving him more game time, but it seems Gerrard doesn't really fancy him either. That to me says he isn't cutting it behind the scenes. 

I think we'll move him on in the Summer. A poor buy all things considered. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2022 at 11:37, tomav84 said:

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I'm not as excited for JJ and Chuk to be on field as much as others on here.

My care factor for them being academy graduates is fairly minimal as even junior club sport is cut throat in terms of recruitment and poaching talent. I want to see as many academy graduates as possible but because Villa have that model down well as opposed to seeing a few players make it every few years or so.

That said, Ramsey has earned his spot and until his form dithers he should retain his place. If that does happen though even slightly, I think Sanson should come in if he is up to standard in training, just to be given a chance at holding it down.

Ramsey has so long left to develop and then mould himself into the finished article. McGinn is at his peak and is in no way deserving to have that sidelined.

Dougie needs the games right now to go from the potential he has to becoming a more experienced and competent midfield general that he can be at his best. Otherwise he's just going to stunt his progress as his role has been a difficult one to really define and therefore own.

Sanson has shown such clear ability in France and I think given half a dozen games in a system that allows him to express that as well as adhering to his roles duties and we could have another class player that adds immense value both on the market and the field.

I think the main issue for me is, none really stand out or are 90 minute players....that to me makes them a bit samey, in lots of ways.

JJ and CC are learning the game, so their plateau, is not yet reached...but they have an appetite for game time too.

I usually judge a player by his effectiveness in a game, how much influence on the game he has......The players mentioned divide opinions and it's easy to see why....I think its difficult for the manager, post and present, because the same question is relevant.

Until we get real stand out midfielders or ones with clear varying attributes, this topic will continue to rear its ugly head.

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just don't think it's going to work out for him here. 
I was frustrated at Smith for not giving him more game time, but it seems Gerrard doesn't really fancy him either. That to me says he isn't cutting it behind the scenes. 

I think we'll move him on in the Summer. A poor buy all things considered. 

Don't think that's fair.

Haven't seen much to suggest Gerrard doesn't fancy him.

Seven apps this season. Six of the opponents were Leicester, Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea x2.

Not been available for a lot of the time.

We won't get much better than him as back-up any time soon. Certainly wouldn't put it past him to oust either Luiz or Ramsey at some point either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't think that's fair.

Haven't seen much to suggest Gerrard doesn't fancy him.

Seven apps this season. Six of the opponents were Leicester, Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea x2.

Not been available for a lot of the time.

We won't get much better than him as back-up any time soon. Certainly wouldn't put it past him to oust either Luiz or Ramsey at some point either.

Possibly but I think Gerrard fancies McGinn and Ramsey in there and Sanson isn't going to play as the 6. And that's without us bringing in another midfielder this window, which we will.
If he rated Morgan, I think he'd have played more by now, and not just when there is a suspension or an injury. He doesn't get into our best XI.

Agree about him being a good back up, I just think we'll further improve in Jan/Summer and then Luiz/Ramsey may find themselves as the back up. 

I think he'll move on in the Summer. 

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Possibly but I think Gerrard fancies McGinn and Ramsey in there and Sanson isn't going to play as the 6. And that's without us bringing in another midfielder this window, which we will.
If he rated Morgan, I think he'd have played more by now, and not just when there is a suspension or an injury. He doesn't get into our best XI.

Agree about him being a good back up, I just think we'll further improve in Jan/Summer and then Luiz/Ramsey may find themselves as the back up. 

I think he'll move on in the Summer. 

I always guage it by, what impact a player has made.

Sure injuries have decimated any chance of that....but how long do we wait?

It can equally end up as nothing short of procrastination.

Edited by TRO

Â