Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Theres no wy he will start ahead of McGinn. Its not going to happen unless McGinn is injured. 

Why not? I love the guy, but what has McGinn done to deserve that sort of guarantee?

• Like 2

Showed some proper class against united, was our best player along with Buendia first half. Knows how to dictate things with his passing, tidy feet, good first touch, protects the ball well, got good vision... Really can't see what's not to like, we just have to hope he'll stay injury free. Competition between Ramsey, Luiz, McGinn, Sanson, Nakamba, Iroegbunam, etc. can only be a good thing for us.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Trust me, I completely agree. I just find it interesting how some could blame anyone other than Sanson and then place that blame solely on Mings. 

Nobody is “just” blaming Mings, but he was caught on his heels and could have taken man and ball, he hesitated

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, macandally said:

Nobody is “just” blaming Mings, but he was caught on his heels and could have taken man and ball, he hesitated

It's not that Mings is blameless it's that Mings error gets called out in the Sanson thread and then the blame train just stops. 

Only fair it seems if you are giving that goal a critical eye you dole out the blame appropriately.  I guess it's easier to blame the whipping boy and let everyone else slide. 

Edited by Rightdm00

17 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

It's not that Mings is blameless it's that Mings error gets called out in the Sanson thread and then the blame train just stops. 

Only fair it seems if you are giving that goal a critical eye you dole out the blame appropriately.  I guess it's easier to blame the whipping boy and let everyone else slide. 

It was an under-hit pass by Sansom in an area you shouldn’t overplay, but Mings arguably could and should have taken man and ball but didn’t.

We are a work in progress, but to play the way Gerrard wants we need players to be brave on the ball, we will get caught at times.  It is what is, learn, move on.

Coaches question that they will go through during analysis, “if in same situation what would you do different”.  

23 minutes ago, macandally said:

It was an under-hit pass by Sansom in an area you shouldn’t overplay, but Mings arguably could and should have taken man and ball but didn’t.

We are a work in progress, but to play the way Gerrard wants we need players to be brave on the ball, we will get caught at times.  It is what is, learn, move on.

Coaches question that they will go through during analysis, “if in same situation what would you do different”.  

You speak in certanties when Mings is miles away from the under hit pass. Bruno is running free due to Douglas letting him go.  If Mings steps then Fred just plays the pass sooner. Not sure how you were coached growing up but in a 2v1 you don't commit unless you know you can get there otherwise you have just taken yourself out the play. 

Once Mings realizes he can't get there he plays it as well as you can forcing the pass but got let down by his midfield. It happens, definitely not trying to lay the blame on any one player. But if you are going to run a critical eye after the poor backpass you need to take in the entire play and not just what is happening around the ball. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

You speak in certanties when Mings is miles away from the under hit pass. Bruno is running free due to Douglas letting him go.  If Mings steps then Fred just plays the pass sooner. Not sure how you were coached growing up but in a 2v1 you don't commit unless you know you can get there otherwise you have just taken yourself out the play. 

Once Mings realizes he can't get there he plays it as well as you can forcing the pass but got let down by his midfield. It happens, definitely not trying to lay the blame on any one player. But if you are going to run a critical eye after the poor backpass you need to take in the entire play and not just what is happening around the ball. 

All of that is predicated on whether he can get there, you say he couldn’t I say he could.  

I don’t speak in certainty, it’s an opinion (for a minute I thought I was on a forum) As for being coached, well fwiw it’s a long time long time since I played mate! 😂

Edited by macandally

Fred was moving for the pass long before Mings realized it was under hit. Mings was never going to make it there first.

You can argue that he should have taken Fred out with a foul - but he runs the risk of denying a goal scoring attempt doing so and being sent off, and another free-kick in a goal-scoring position after we conceded one in the first half.

I can't really fault Mings on this one. The pass needed to be firmer or not made at all (Sanson to draw a foul when receiving the ball under pressure).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Theres no wy he will start ahead of McGinn. Its not going to happen unless McGinn is injured. 

under smith, yes that was the case. but i don't think gerrard will hesitate to drop mcginn if he's not performing. sanson has given him a decision to make after saturdays performance

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Why blame anyone. It was a split second pressurised thing that had an unfortunate result. I thought Sanson was really good yesterday.

i'm actually finding it quite refreshing that for once VT is cutting someone some slack and trying to excuse his mistake. agree i don't like finger pointing but i was dreading coming on here last night thinking he was going to be getting destroyed and i'm pleased to see that's not the case

• Like 1

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think he had a good game even beyond the error.

I see someone saying he was "neat and tidy" which I think is more codespeak for "I didn't see him really do anything much so he must've just been keeping it simple".

But his passing accuracy this game was bad. As literally evidenced by this misplaced pass that led to the goal being conceding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Why not? I love the guy, but what has McGinn done to deserve that sort of guarantee?

Out of all our midfielders. 3rd for goals and assists in the league for us, most out of our midfielders. Most shot shot creating actions per 90. Most tackles and tackles won. Most pressures. 2nd behind Luiz for tackles and interceptions combined. Highest dribble success rate only behind Sanson (smaller sample size). Most carries with the ball. Sanson looked very tidy and I enjoyed watching him play, but I’m surprised the Mcginn hate continues. What has Sanson done to deserve a guaranteed start?

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Out of all our midfielders. 3rd for goals and assists in the league for us, most out of our midfielders. Most shot shot creating actions per 90. Most tackles and tackles won. Most pressures. 2nd behind Luiz for tackles and interceptions combined. Highest dribble success rate only behind Sanson (smaller sample size). Most carries with the ball. Our who scored highest rated player behind coutinho.  Sanson looked very tidy and I enjoyed watching him play, but I’m surprised the Mcginn hate continues. What has Sanson done to deserve a guaranteed start?

Edited by IrishVilla10
Double post

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think he had a good game even beyond the error.

I see someone saying he was "neat and tidy" which I think is more codespeak for "I didn't see him really do anything much so he must've just been keeping it simple".

But his passing accuracy this game was bad. As literally evidenced by this misplaced pass that led to the goal being conceding.

his short range passing accuracy was 93% (misplaced just 1 pass) and his medium range accuracy was 89% (misplaced 2). if you're looking at overall % then it's probably his long balls that have dragged that % down

7 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Out of all our midfielders. 3rd for goals and assists in the league for us, most out of our midfielders. Most shot shot creating actions per 90. Most tackles and tackles won. Most pressures. 2nd behind Luiz for tackles and interceptions combined. Highest dribble success rate only behind Sanson (smaller sample size). Most carries with the ball. Sanson looked very tidy and I enjoyed watching him play, but I’m surprised the Mcginn hate continues. What has Sanson done to deserve a guaranteed start?

Most pressures is just wrong. He has 2 fewer per 90 than Luiz, 5 fewer than ramsey. Like 5 fewer than nakamba, 14 fewer than Sanson. Got the worst passing accuracy of all our midfielders bar Sanson and as you say limited sample size so the percentages are biased though historically it's been about the same for both.

Sanson has also been one of our 5 best players in every game he's started so I think he deserves the opportunity for more game time. 

Â