Formula One - 2021

BOF

Penalty almost seemed on the harsh side if anything to me. Looked like a textbook racing incident. Neither completely blameless or completely at fault. I think both of them expected the other to pull out of it, VER especially has had success playing chicken with HAM in those situations previously and just assumed he would've backed out.

I actually think the crash ended up being worse than it otherwise would've been because VER cut so hard across what he assumed would be HAM's line in order to hurt his downforce and build a gap quickly.

Absolutely fantastic racing from both until that point though. Exactly what we all tune in for.

• Like 1

Lap one Lewis is dangerous, reckless and risked the safety of his nearest competitor. Lewis needs to be banned.

Lap 50 Lewis did exactly the same thing but the leader at the time leaped out of the way to avoid another accident. Lewis is a hero.

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

Lap one Lewis is dangerous, reckless and risked the safety of his nearest competitor. Lewis needs to be banned.

Lap 50 Lewis did exactly the same thing but the leader at the time leaped out of the way to avoid another accident. Lewis is a hero.

That's racing mate, they are both fighting for the title, Ves could have backed out, it happens alot.

35 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

That's racing mate, they are both fighting for the title, Ves could have backed out, it happens alot.

Yeah, I’m ok with it. Just the hypocrisy of how it’s interpreted by the media.

They spent an hour saying how irresponsible Lewis was for the first one then not a word for the second only because Leclerc leaped out of the way.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And he’s always raced like everyone has to move out of the way of him so he can’t really complain when someone does the same to him

That's the problem, as someone on sky said max put the car in places that mean there will be a crash unless the other driver backs out and today it didn't happen

I'm no expert on F1, but I fail to see what was wrong with what Lewis did. Aren't you supposed to try and overtake in a race? If not on a corner like that, then where??

33 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

I'm no expert on F1, but I fail to see what was wrong with what Lewis did. Aren't you supposed to try and overtake in a race? If not on a corner like that, then where??

I’m exactly the same, I’m trying to figure out how much of is because hardcore f1 fans just hate Lewis or I’m missing something, I watch enough to have an opinion though.

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

Of course you are but you’re also not meant to cause accidents. Generally very high speed corners are not overtaking places because of a variety of reasons. But mainly the lack of a significant braking zone makes overtaking difficult, the high speed makes racing side by side difficult, and the potential for a very nasty crash is high like we saw today. 

You can’t just Chuck your car down the inside of every corner and hope you get past otherwise everyone would crash in the first couple of laps. 

The general rule of thumb is that for a corner like that the car that is ahead has the right to take the racing line and the other car should back out to avoid a collision. There are exceptions, but that’s why if Lewis had got his nose in front it would have been on Max to back out. Obviously that’s easier said than done at 160mph

All that being said I don’t think what Lewis did was that bad. I do think he’s at fault and the penalty was justified, but I don’t think he’s done anything particularly stupid or deliberate 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

That's the problem, as someone on sky said max put the car in places that mean there will be a crash unless the other driver backs out and today it didn't happen

Yep. Remember that battle between him and Ricciardo when Ricciardo was at red bull. Baku I think. 

Max was driving like a mad man and Ricciardo was literally having to dodge him. It was Max putting the car wherever he wants and Ric having to get out of the way. Eventually Max crashed into him

I don't buy that Hamilton ran him off. 

Hamilton needs to be beating him. You can't manufacture a coming together where you are OK and the other guy goes off.  The most likely result is that you will both go off which would not have suited Hamilton at all, it's ridiculous to suggest he did this on purpose. 

As others have said Verstappen was weaving all over the road.  I still insist that he just drove into Lewis. 

Lewis tried to dive in and had shown earlier he had the speed.  Then Verstappen put the power down himself and kind of dived into Hamilton, I suspect as Verstappen was quite far ahead of him by the time they came together that Hamilton was backing out but these things happen in a split second. 

It actually amazes me there are not more collisions in F1. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1