Formula One - 2021

BOF

. McLaren have switched power units and will now have a Mercedes in the back of the car instead of a Renault.

Is that going to be a) more speed or b) better reliability? Or a a little of both?  Just asking for a Smiley friend of mine.

20 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Everything I see about Mazepin make him look like a prick. Is he actually a good driver or is he just there for the Russian sponsorship money?

He's quick. Arguably a better qualifier than Mick. He did come 5th in F2 and won as many races as Mick too. He's not in F1 solely because of money, although the money has pushed him to the top of the queue, where he might  otherwise have had a few others ahead of him. So he's no dodo, but he's a hyper aggressive driver. Ruthless. He has driven people off the road on more than one occasion this season rather than take what's coming. Which is yet another insight into what is a person who will do whatever the **** he wants in life. It's almost as if being a Russian billionaire's son has given him the impression he can do what he wants in life and succeed. Which ... he has. He won't get away with any of that in F1 with the added scrutiny that cones with the territory, but it'll be a blast watching it 😁

Anyone know what the story is with Lewis?

2 months till the season start and he hasn’t signed a contract.

He’s filthy rich, is he being super greedy? Are Mercedes trying to reduce their budget? Anything else?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Anyone know what the story is with Lewis?

2 months till the season start and he hasn’t signed a contract.

He’s filthy rich, is he being super greedy? Are Mercedes trying to reduce their budget? Anything else?

I'm sure he'll sign in the end, but I've read a few things suggesting his position has been weakened, both by Russell's cameo in Sakhir and by Lewis's huge demands which Daimler are not thrilled about meeting, because of Russell's emergence.  I'm sure it's all posturing and playing chicken, although it's also probably not completely beyond the realms of possibility that Daimler just lose patience and promote George. But that would probably be madness on their part.

Here's Webber

Mark Webber believes George Russell’s call-up to replace Lewis Hamilton for the Sakhir Grand Prix couldn’t have come at a worse time for the seven-time Formula 1 World Champion, who is negotiating a new Mercedes deal.

And it was a video I watched re- Daimler not liking his demands but I can't find it at the moment.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm sure he'll sign in the end, but I've read a few things suggesting his position has been weakened, both by Russell's cameo in Sakhir and by Lewis's huge demands which Daimler are not thrilled about meeting, because of Russell's emergence.  I'm sure it's all posturing and playing chicken, although it's also probably not completely beyond the realms of possibility that Daimler just lose patience and promote George. But that would probably be madness on their part.

Here's Webber

And it was a video I watched re- Daimler not liking his demands but I can't find it at the moment.

I did allude to this a few weeks ago, sticking a new driver in that car showed Mercedes and the world that they don’t necessarily need to chuck £40m+ at Lewis per year to be in the running for trophies. Of course, he’s so good it tilts it in your favour but with businesses looking at ways to offset Covid losses it was awful timing for Lewis.

With his other stuff outside of F1 I wonder if he’s tempted to jack it in. He’s made noises about it before. I remember year before last he was asking Jenson about when he knew it was time to quit. 

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

I did allude to this a few weeks ago, sticking a new driver in that car showed Mercedes and the world that they don’t necessarily need to chuck £40m+ at Lewis per year to be in the running for trophies. Of course, he’s so good it tilts it in your favour but with businesses looking at ways to offset Covid losses it was awful timing for Lewis.

With his other stuff outside of F1 I wonder if he’s tempted to jack it in. He’s made noises about it before. I remember year before last he was asking Jenson about when he knew it was time to quit. 

Yeah he has said it a few times, so you wouldn't know. As I say, it's probably all bull and he'll sign but he's definitely thinking it. 

• Like 1

Schedule updated.  China has been replaced with Imola. Australia moves to 25th November. Brazil, Saudi & Abu Dhabi dates move to accommodate it. China could be re-scheduled but is currently not on the calendar.

Not a bad season last year but it will hardly live long in the memory, hopefully a few new faces and some possibility of the mid field teams improving mean this could be a better season, were certainly overdue a classic year but it’s hard to see it while Merc are still dominating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suppose we should mention that Lewis Hamilton has signed with Merc :) Although it is only for 1 year which is interesting. Gives both sides some flexibility.