Formula One - 2021

BOF

i actually like Lewis, he was thrust into a very unfamiliar world and will always have felt an outsider. He’s definitely had an awkward no idea what to do with bring a rich guy celebrity stage, and I probably couldn’t hang out with him for too long, but I never understand why some despise him.

Nice side note, it seems Hamilton is now the victim of the racism that definitely doesn’t exist in this country on social media after yesterday.

Edited by a m ole

I mean sure he's not from a multimillionaire background, but just google his childhood home.... He wasn't exactly poor. He lived in this 4 bed home he called a 'slum' 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2018/12/19/life-really-like-lewis-hamiltons-slum-home-8264477/amp/

Then moved to this huge pad 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/youre-the-pits-stevenage-tells-lewis-hamilton-v6sr3l2hn

But he bangs on like he grew up in a high rise or something

14 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I mean sure he's not from a multimillionaire background, but just google his childhood home.... He wasn't exactly poor. He lived in this 4 bed home he called a 'slum' 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2018/12/19/life-really-like-lewis-hamiltons-slum-home-8264477/amp/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/youre-the-pits-stevenage-tells-lewis-hamilton-v6sr3l2hn

I mean slum might be a bit strong, but this one is hardly the house you'd expect the greatest F1 driver of all time to grow up in given the money usually needed in the sport

SEI_44898856-4e3e.jpg?quality=90&strip=a

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Location is everything, that doesn't look like a nice place but it could be in a nice location.

We used to give out about Max doing things like that about 2 years ago, when Max was a 21 year old. He doesn't do it any more. All the criticisms of Max's driving have quietened down because he grew up. Lewis is 36. It's one of those 'racing incidents' where Lewis knew exactly what he was doing by putting his car where he did on a track and corner that he knew you don't do that on.  He did it later in the race too and forced Leclerc to veer off into the run-off area.

But anyhoo, whatever we all think of the incident is irrelevant. What Lewis has done is he has given Max licence to do the same thing back to him at a later date. I expect he'll pick his corner carefully and the Hamilton fans may have some cognitive dissonance to handle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

But anyhoo, whatever we all think of the incident is irrelevant. What Lewis has done is he has given Max licence to do the same thing back to him at a later date. I expect he'll pick his corner carefully and the Hamilton fans may have some cognitive dissonance to handle.

I think what Lewis has done is descended to Max's level, and in fairness, he's needed to - Max has been throwing his car across people since he was old enough to pout - Lewis has been playing the adult this season and trying not to engage in it and as result he's been second best. Now he has engaged in it. Fire with fire and all that.

I think if Max were to learn the lesson that's on offer about adjusting his driving style to take into account the existence of other racing drivers he could comfortably win the championship this season, he's a very quick driver in the quickest car - drive sensibly and you'll win. I'm very sure he won't do that- the massive burden of his sense of self entitlement won't let him - so I think you're right, we can look forward to a season with a series of incidents and recriminations. Which frankly will be utterly brilliant.

Max is home and hosed as long he can avoid getting into a pissing contest with Hamilton - does anyone, anywhere believe Max can do that?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean slum might be a bit strong, but this one is hardly the house you'd expect the greatest F1 driver of all time to grow up in given the money usually needed in the sport

SEI_44898856-4e3e.jpg?quality=90&strip=a

He was bankrolled by McLaren from a young age.

Lewis was talented as a kid and was groomed to be a driver. Maybe thats why he is a bit 'awkward'? Not had a normal childhood. Tiger Woods is the same... people have commented that he is mega weird. Then again, he had pressure from being a childhood prodigy. Gotta mess you up. 

• Like 2

It’s not about whether he was given money by McLaren or not or whether he moved into a nicer house aged 12, it’s about the change in his lifestyle and how different from the norm it was for kids in Stevenage.

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Lewis was talented as a kid and was groomed to be a driver. Maybe thats why he is a bit 'awkward'? Not had a normal childhood. Tiger Woods is the same... people have commented that he is mega weird. Then again, he had pressure from being a childhood prodigy. Gotta mess you up. 

This. He’s also got that little thing of being the only black f1 driver ever, and one of about 4 black drivers in motorsport history. Same as Woods.

Either that or he’s clearly “gay”. That would also explain it.

Edited by a m ole

20 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think what Lewis has done is descended to Max's level, and in fairness, he's needed to - Max has been throwing his car across people since he was old enough to pout - Lewis has been playing the adult this season and trying not to engage in it and as result he's been second best. Now he has engaged in it. Fire with fire and all that.

Nah I don't think that's fair. Max was throwing his car around up to 2 years ago when he was getting pelters even in the VillaTalk F1 thread for doing so. He has cut that out as he has matured (he was 21 remember) and his critics, of which there were many, went silent and some even acknowledged that he had cut it out. Lewis descended to that level alright, and probably because he had to. But that's not Max any more. It just shows what Lewis may have to resort to if he's going to win in that Merc.

I think if Max were to learn the lesson that's on offer about adjusting his driving style to take into account the existence of other racing drivers he could comfortably win the championship this season, he's a very quick driver in the quickest car - drive sensibly and you'll win. I'm very sure he won't do that- the massive burden of his sense of self entitlement won't let him

I think I address that above. Max's driving style these last few years is a far cry from where he was.  That's not to say he has lost an edge. He just knows when to go and when not to now. But I think we agree that Lewis has now decided for both of them that the gloves can come off.  So I think we are in for a treat. I just hope no-one is badly injured. Maybe Lewis hasn't seen Eau Rouge or 130R from the other direction yet.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Max having some sense of self-entitlement over and above top drivers doing their best to win.

Max is home and hosed as long he can avoid getting into a pissing contest with Hamilton - does anyone, anywhere believe Max can do that?

I don't agree that anyone in this title race is home and hosed. The rate of development from both teams and the difference in which tracks favour which car means it could easily go either way from this point onwards or it could continue to ebb and flow.  Given Merc's utter dominance for the past donkeys years I think it's certainly unfair to suggest any of Mercedes' opposition to be home and hosed against them in a race Merc have just won and with 12 races still to go.

• Like 1

Regarding what @BOFhas put, I'm not seeing that change in driving style, see imola and Spain this year on lewis opening laps, and just before they collided max initially banged wheels by moving into lewis on the straight 

We all want to see racing at the best level, but max for me, in these battles takes it to far with defending the position. It's just I'm putting my car here, if we crash it's your fault and I'll blame everyone but me if we do

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Regarding what @BOFhas put, I'm not seeing that change in driving style, see imola and Spain this year on lewis opening laps, and just before they collided max initially banged wheels by moving into lewis on the straight 

We all want to see racing at the best level, but max for me, in these battles takes it to far with defending the position. It's just I'm putting my car here, if we crash it's your fault and I'll blame everyone but me if we do

Yeah I think Max has got better, but not by much. 

He still drives in the "I'm putting my car here so you better get out of the way" style. 

He just got a taste of his own medicine on Sunday and looks like it tasted bitter

Max definitely has his elbows out this season, he is driving aggressively, but I think within the rules. I don't blame him, beating Lewis is an incredibly difficult thing to do and he is clearly desperate for that success. The problem is that Lewis has his elbows out too now as he simply cannot afford not to. If you have two drivers not giving an inch then on occasion contact will be made. It is fascinating and exciting racing.

I think maybe Max had a chance in the last race to chill out a bit and let his natural pace and strong pit crew get him back past Lewis later in the race. Given the gap between them in the championship he has to assume that Lewis is not going to yield. Max had it all to lose taking the contract and all to gain by letting his team pull him through. We have seen Lewis do the same enough times, knowing that he has the fastest car, looking after his tires and winning on strategy.

It has left the season in a really thrilling place as now there is no obvious person who can afford to be the first to blink. I'd be surprised if this was the last contact between the two of them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Max definitely has his elbows out this season, he is driving aggressively, but I think within the rules. I don't blame him, beating Lewis is an incredibly difficult thing to do and he is clearly desperate for that success. The problem is that Lewis has his elbows out too now as he simply cannot afford not to. If you have two drivers not giving an inch then on occasion contact will be made. It is fascinating and exciting racing.

I think maybe Max had a chance in the last race to chill out a bit and let his natural pace and strong pit crew get him back past Lewis later in the race. Given the gap between them in the championship he has to assume that Lewis is not going to yield. Max had it all to lose taking the contract and all to gain by letting his team pull him through. We have seen Lewis do the same enough times, knowing that he has the fastest car, looking after his tires and winning on strategy.

It has left the season in a really thrilling place as now there is no obvious person who can afford to be the first to blink. I'd be surprised if this was the last contact between the two of them.

That's the main thing for me. We actually have a title race. I'd prefer Lewis to win over Max but ultimately I don't really care as long as it's close.

The sport needs the excitement

• Like 3

Never forgiven Max for his swerving at Baku that ended his and Danny Ric's race.

In the aftermath, he barely got a handslap from Marko and co at Red Bull. The writing was on the wall for Ricciardo from that point.

Lewis has been pretty good at getting Red Bull cars off the podium in the last year doing it twice with Albon and now this with Max. Pretty similar incidents so can see why Red Bull are a bit miffed.

Be interesting to hear what Albon thinks about this latest incident.