Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/20 at 17:30

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

a mystery why Traore was sacrificed?

I thought this as well at the time but probably due to the fact that he is still not up to 100% match fitness given that he didn't play much last year and has only just started getting proper minutes.  Dean maybe didn't think he would last that well with 10 men.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

When Oli Watkins starts scoring again what a player he will be!

MOTM for a striker not scoring goals shows just how good his front play is!

Real shame Traore had to come off as he was awesome in that 1st half.  He is 1st choice now for me as he offers so much!

We look a really good side!

Wonder if he'll get into Garth's team of the week?

That second half performance was as good as we've played all season and it was us that looked like we had the extra man advantage not Palace. Absolutely outstanding effort from every single player (barring Mings) and huge credit to Smith (& the coaching staff)! 

To boss the second half like we did and to still keep creating chances, dictate play, pass and move like we did was a joy to behold. It really was. 

We are really good to watch right now and have such a likeable squad that I am on cloud 9 right now. The turn by El Ghazi, the goal by El Ghazi, the flick by Grealish, the link up with Jack & Ollie, was just a delight to watch it really was.

Dean picked the right team for me, regardless whether Barkley would have been fit. And I understood fully why Traore came off even though at that point he was clear MOTM. For me that was a tough call and a bold one but ultimately proved to be the correct one. We have a real capable squad and competition is fierce but it is only a good thing and by sticking with the players that are performing is a major reason (for me) why there is such a great camaraderie amongst the squad.

Watkins MOTM for me, ran the channels superbly second half and worked tirelessly all match, deserved a goal but it will come sooner rather than later. 9/10. The rest (bar Mings) 8.5. Smith 10/10.

Thought the sending off was harsh, but Mings needs to know better. He has a cool persona about him but when forwards get under his skin (Bamford/Zaha) he becomes a liability. Hopefully its a kick up the arse to stay more focused moving forward.

Up to 5th. What a season. UTV 

• Like 2

Watched about the last hour of this, most of it craning my neck from a family zoom meeting! So it was hard to get a proper view of what was going on. However, what I saw left me feeling this was a really good performance. The way we took control in the second half was impressive. A thoroughly deserved win. Can’t award MOTM because I didn’t see the whole thing. But people who are saying Watkins have a strong case based on what I did see.

Very disappointed in Mings - he ought to know better.

Edited by briny_ear

Probably our best performance of the season given the circumstances. Played 10 men for half the game 1-0 up and won 3-0, another team would have given up near the end but we kept on going and could have had 5 or 6 let's be honest. Played the counter attack to perfection and were very good with the ball.

Absolutely superb, professional performance (other than Mings' daft red, which was a bit harsh too) and once again Dean deserves credit for keeping the team structured when we went down to 10 and switching to a 4-4-1.

Martinez is a truly great GK, what a signing. Didn't have an awful lot to do but it's his work behind the defence that is so impressive, organises them so well. All of the back four deserve credit but especially Targett, he's turned into such a solid LB and once again today was brilliant defensively. All the midfield good but Jack once again was masterful, just a tremendous footballer and performs week in week out. Special mentions to AEG and Traore who both played well again and both scored (Traore unlucky to go off so early).

But MOTM goes to Ollie, worked hard all game which meant when we went down to 10 we could cope. So unlucky not to score but 3 assists isn't bad, the goals will come soon. He gives the whole team a platform to perform and one of the signings that has lifted this team to where it is that's for sure.

What a season it's been so far but next four games are tough, will be interesting to see where we are after the Everton game.

• Like 3

Was out earlier so set it to record and just finished watching 🙂

Well, where to start? Absolutely excellent performance. From everyone, except Mings (pillock)

Jack is just Jack - thought he was a bit off the pace in the first half, but seemed to be encouraging others to have more of a go, which is good to see. Second half he turned on the taps.  Ollie - Everywhere and on the end of everything. Two assists (arguably 3 with the Hause goal), I felt like I was kicking the ball with him in the last 10, willing it to go in - really feel for the guy but it will come good soon - he brings so much to the team, even when not scoring himself. 

Hause - Brilliant. Credit where it is due, he has looked excellent for the last few games, has really earned his place, and welcome back Konsa as well - looks assured and confident. 

Cash was decent, a few mistakes but overall did well. Targett absolutely monstered left back - nothing got past him. He has really stepped up a level this season. Great to see.

Emi - Why the hell did Arsenal sell him to us? And for 20mil???? Are they f**king mad????? Absolutely brilliant, still cannot believe he is ours - saying best keeper in the league is not hyperbole.

Sorry to see Bertie get the hook just before half time, but he will be fully fit and raring to go for Chelsea, he is starting to look like the player we all thought we were getting. 

Anwar - good to see his bounce back. Excellent strike for his goal and a threat all game. Doug doing what Doug does, and McGinn everywhere. Nice to see Ramsay getting a couple of minutes at the end there.

Oh Tyrone. WTF were you thinking? OK, slightly unlucky with the first yellow, but he needs to learn not to get into it with opposition players, even if they are utter t*ats - he has got into a few scrapes, when he lifted Bamford by the shirt and then shoved him over, I winced expecting a card. He REALLY needs to mature and cut out that side of his game. He is supposedly our senior CB and and England international - he cannot let opposition players niggle him like that. And when on a yellow you just DO NOT give the ref no choice like that. Idiot. Even if Zaha scores, at least it is still 11 vs. 11 and you are not banned for the next game. Jesus wept - sort your head out man.

If he is carrying a knock, being out for the next game is a good thing, recovery time and time to reflect on what he has done. I am sure Deano will let him know he f**ked up. For me, he starts on the bench against ManUre.

• Like 1

One of the best performances I’ve ever witnessed from us, taking into account the red card.

Bossed that second half really, never looked in too much trouble at the back and looked lethal going forward, pace and movement.

This team is starting to feel really special and today’s performance and result feels seminal potentially.

Any other season and beating Liverpool 7-2 would easily be the standout game but we keep producing these memorable  performances - Liverpool, Arsenal, the last 30 mins against Southampton, today and even the Burnley game despite not scoring. The only game we’ve been comprehensively beaten and outplayed in was Leeds (and I think a lot of us saw it coming) and the first hour against Southampton. Even in defeat to Brighton and West Ham we were easily the better team.

Gave Watkins motm but it really goes to the whole team because every one of them (Mings aside, who I thought looked a little casual before the red card) was outstanding today.

Really proud fan.

• Like 3

Wow, what a performance.. .

I thought 'oh no here we go again' after Mings was Sent off. Turned to my Mrs and said "hope we do a Rotherham here" She looked at me blankly, and realised her Being a Toffee has no clue what I was going on about.

That Second half performance is one of the best I've seen from us since the Days of Big Ron & MON.

I voted Matt Targett as MOTM he just locked his side of the pitch down, cut out everything, did some great tackles, good to see him improving. 

There could of been 4-5 others getting the Reward. Special mention To Ollie Watkins, Kid just keeps running and making chances and bringing other players into the game, His goals will come I have no doubt of it,

SJM another unsung hero just did his usual thing never stopped running breaking up play and looking for an out ball.,

Matty Cash lovely little player getting better as each game passes.

Jack was well just Jack, we are getting spoilt by his skills every game, long may it continue. 

I'm off to have a few more drinks thanks for a Merry Xmas Villa, lets kick on and have a awesome New Year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fazilla said:

Magnificent team performance. What is really pleasing is that the fringe players such as AEG, Hause and Traore have all made a contribution. There is real competition for places now.

No longer fringe players

Â