Pre-Match thread

One For The Road

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

It’s a nice ‘problem’ to have anyway. I think you have to try and explain to Anwar how important it is to get Ross back, and that he’ll be straight back starting two days later when Ross has to sit out for Chelsea. It’s incredibly harsh on Anwar, but you have to find a way to get Ross back playing. 

Anwar you’ve been brilliant in the last two games but we have to play Ross, ( he’s a Chelsea player you know) you can have a game after that cos we can’t pick Ross then you can f**k off back to bench . Ok off you trot. That should do it.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, smg said:

Anwar you’ve been brilliant in the last two games but we have to play Ross, ( he’s a Chelsea player you know) you can have a game after that cos we can’t pick Ross then you can f**k off back to bench . Ok off you trot. That should do it.

Yeah I think the side will be unchanged judging from Deano's previous man management. We need the 2 of them to keep firing because Barkley won't be available to play against Chelsea.

On the flip side, he can argue he wants to keep them fresh for Chelsea which is only a couple of days later.

2 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Palace have no injuries or suspensions, we'll be getting the best of them.

My only doubt is which of them turns up? The one that outplayed manure at Old Trafford and hammered the baggies, or the one that folded against Liverpool? I think we've got the quality to beat them but it will not be an easy game.

They only really hammered West Brom when they again got someone sent off, was 1-1 and actually an even game.

Palace away results haven't been as good as previous seasons. Lost to Wolves, Burnley and Chelsea without scoring a goal and just about beat Fulham 2-1.

2 hours ago, DWG_Pauly said:

If indeed he's available, would Dean consider/be able to have Ross come off the bench for either Traore or AEG as a way to ease him back in considering his match fitness?

That's actually the perfect way to give someone coming off month lay off back into swing of things. I'd be tempted to put him on at the hour mark. Hopefully AEG's insanely bad shooting last game at VP was just a one off but I can't really see him being dropped after two goals, just not the DS way. And Traore's best performance by miles so I get the feeling he'll be one of those streaky players and do well over next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

My birthday is the 28th of December, it's amazing how miserable villa have made those days, as we usually play boxing day or the 28th at home, I usually go to villa park for the game

Remember some dour games including the 0-3 against Wigan, one of the worst was 2013, boxing day at home to palace, we lost 1-0 to a 93rd minute dwight gale goal

This year of years villa, please give me something to celebrate around my birthday

I don’t manage go to the Villa often but my wife surprised me with tickets on Xmas day for that palace game.

she was surprised with the level of hate the players were getting from the fans and eventually joined in!

• Like 1

I've got Optus Sport now, so will be watching every game from here on out in full, whether live or not.  Will be watching live with you lot for Crystal Palace though.

Both teams have some exciting attacking players, haven't seen CP play this season yet, so will save you all the uninformed commentary!

UTV!!

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, DWG_Pauly said:

If indeed he's available, would Dean consider/be able to have Ross come off the bench for either Traore or AEG as a way to ease him back in considering his match fitness?

It's what I'd do. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Remember some dour games including the 0-3 against Wigan, one of the worst was 2013, boxing day at home to palace, we lost 1-0 to a 93rd minute dwight gale goal

I remember that game very well. We played like shit and ended up conceding.

It was the worst Villa Park game for me, just because of the performance, Christmas, relatively high expectations following decent previous seasons, overall shit show.

So as long as I can see McGinn do his predictable ass turn, it will make for a better experience this year!

If we can create half as many chances as we've done in the games against Burnley and West Bitter Albion against a Palace side that will be hopefully more offensive-minded than the two aforementioned teams then we've got half a chance.

15 hours ago, smg said:

Hey, I agree it would be harsh, and if Deano chooses to reward Anwar by keeping him in, I have absolutely no issue with it. 

Edited by Michelsen

For me, if you've got your best players back then play them. Cons is our best performing defender and needs too start if fully fit. Hause has been fine for these past two games but Palace will absolutely provide a much sterner test than Burnley or Baggies did. This two games couldn't have been better for Hause. Palace's movement, pace and attacking threat will mean we need to be at our best defensively to try keep them at bay, and to do so we need to field out best.

Same goes for Barkley. If he's fully fit then het starts for me. I'm all for rewarding players for their performances, but let';s face it Anwar wasn't making the bunch a few weeks ago so the fact that he's as much as a candidate to potentially start out wide with Trey and Traore is testament to his performances. But Barkely coming back really gives us that extra power and attacking boost going forwards. It also means we can shift Jack back out wide and have a dual threat in midfield from the pair. After we beat Fulham people said Hourihane should start ahead of Barkely and then Ross performed fantastic and showed his class and how there's levels to this game. I maintain, if he's fully fit then he must start.

However, hearing that Barkley will only return to training on Wednesday tells me he wont be fully fit at all and I therefore expect him to start one the bench. Therefore I expect us to keep Traore and El Ghazi out wide with Barkley benched.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I've got Optus Sport now, so will be watching every game from here on out in full, whether live or not.  Will be watching live with you lot for Crystal Palace though.

Both teams have some exciting attacking players, haven't seen CP play this season yet, so will save you all the uninformed commentary!

UTV!!

Is that with iptv mate?