Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

I feel our greatest need is for a centre back to step straight in beside Konsa.

Ans much as I like him, I think we would benefit from a centre forward to take the heat off Watkins.

The left back position needs strengthening. Tayler completely changes the way we play.

I would suspect Mings gives you the Heebie jeebies?

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Neither did Heaton or Jed Steer, or Elmo, or Hause over the games he played recently.

Ill continue to moan at every fan who is still allergic to the quality in depth, contingency plans and overall squad improvement concept.

A large contingent of us moaned about Guibert being replaced, and every quality attacking midfielder/left winger is met by "surely Jack is off" and  "Where will they play"

I Facepalm in every ones general direction. ;)

Wonder if Liverpool fans were perplexed when Minamino or Jota were signed as Salah and Mane were/are two of the best in the world?

We need to change the mentality somewhat IMO.

I agree, but it can be saved until the summer when better value for money will be available and we may be able to attract better quality after a good solid season. January is just about filling gaps in the squad on an emergency basis, for me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Neither did Heaton or Jed Steer, or Elmo, or Hause over the games he played recently.

Ill continue to moan at every fan who is still allergic to the quality in depth, contingency plans and overall squad improvement concept.

A large contingent of us moaned about Guibert being replaced, and every quality attacking midfielder/left winger is met by "surely Jack is off" and  "Where will they play"

Wonder if Liverpool fans were perplexed when Minamino or Jota were signed as Salah and Mane were/are two of the best in the world?

Yep, completely agree.  We need to keep growing and if a player becomes available whose better than a current favourite then we should still go after him both from a first XI improvement and squad size improvement.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Everyone needs to be kept on their toes and competition, is the one way, players push them selves in training....drive and urgency has to be maintained.....a few injuries, suspensions, or form dips ,leaves us exposed, like last season.

• Like 3

It’s no coincidence or wise players are the most improved through competition with the signing for Traore. 

Trez essentially kept out our new £20m player from His performances before his injury and Traore has played well because he knows if he doesn’t hes on the bench. 

Having one really good XI and a rubbish bench just doesn’t work. As good as Targett is Taylor and Guilbert (less so Guilbert) are very unlikely to perform as good as him. 

Now they could of course prove us wrong as I expect one of them to start against  Liverpool. 

if we are to progress in the league we need multiple people as good as each other in different positions. 

The big clubs have this in multiple positions, we have it in the right wing and one extra CB position and goalkeeper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I agree, but it can be saved until the summer when better value for money will be available and we may be able to attract better quality after a good solid season. January is just about filling gaps in the squad on an emergency basis, for me.

I woul be tempted to look down the divisions for a gem, take a punt.....we can afford to....there will be another Jamie Vardy out there.

No big money signings for me.....I think we have enough talent, for now.

I would look for a Kalvin Phillips type as back up to SJM or Dougie.....better version of Nakamba.

I think there will be more focus in the home market, since Brexit, we need to be ahead of the game.

Edited by TRO

In a weird way, i think some fans love the players (attitude, mentality, togetherness) so much that we are almost fearful of what a villa team would look like without the likes of mcginn, mings etc in the side. Almost like the band they adored in their teenage years has broken up. Will we ever love villa the same way without them?

In reality, i love the team how it is but im not blind to see that if we want to be a consistently top 6 side, we need a top 6 squad. I'm confident all of our current first choice 11 would not look out of place in that top 6 squad, but the first 11 would probably look very different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I woul be tempted to look down the divisions for a gem, take a punt.....we can afford to....there will be another Jamie Vardy out there.

No big money signings for me.....I think we have enough talent, for now.

I would look for a Kalvin Phillips type as back up to SJM or Dougie.....better version of Nakamba.

I think there will be more focus in the home market, since Brexit, we need to be ahead of the game.

Agree, we’re short in the middle of the park and a young player who can drop in as a back up DM is a priority for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

The signings of Martinez and Cash in positions where most of us thought we were solid enough gives me confidence in our recruitment strategy. I believe Smith and his team know exactly which areas need upgrading, competition or depth.

Was it not the Copenhagen guy who came in that plays a big part in spotting talent now?

Edited by HeyAnty

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Pretty sure the new lockdown will kill any deals involving players from abroad. 

I thought its quite common for medicals to be held abroad when time for deals is tight, so I imagine they'll do something like that and any discussions can be done on conference calls.

It does mean we won't be able to show off the best stadium in the country and our shiny new training facilities though. 

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

In a weird way, i think some fans love the players (attitude, mentality, togetherness) so much that we are almost fearful of what a villa team would look like without the likes of mcginn, mings etc in the side. Almost like the band they adored in their teenage years has broken up. Will we ever love villa the same way without them?

In reality, i love the team how it is but im not blind to see that if we want to be a consistently top 6 side, we need a top 6 squad. I'm confident all of our current first choice 11 would not look out of place in that top 6 squad, but the first 11 would probably look very different.

I'll admit I'm one of those, even to the extent I struggle to sell them if I'm playing FM! That's why it's so nice having competent people behind the scenes as I'm willing to trust the decisions they make. 

6 hours ago, sne said:

Palace interested in Amavi apparently as both Patrick van Aanholt and Tyrick Mitchell are out of contract in the summer.

Mitchell has looked half decent when I’ve seen him play. 

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's all about priorities though. Personally I don't see getting an upgrade on target as a priority.

I still think there is a question mark about all of the front 3 (Traroe, AEG , Watkins) - and the backups in Davis, Wesley, Trez. 

Mighty hard finding forwards in the Jan window , Watkins needs and will be given more time imo - I don't see us bringing in another £20m forward in case Watkins doesn't cut it. In the summer maybe - but not now.

• Like 1

Grealish to united rumours and now Liverpool sniffing at Konsa. I hope our ambitions see us retain our best players from the jaws of these types of shithouse clubs. Would be great if we could break the cycle of these big name clubs killing competition this way.

• Like 3