Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

Agree with most of that but for me Nakamba would be the midfielder to make way unless Hourihane wants out. Hourihane has much more quality than Nakamaba and will be of use this season at some point.

The Elmo/Guilbert scenario needs sorting. I personally would like to keep hold of Guilbert and use him as our backup right back; Elmo to stay with the squad until the end of his contract.

IMO, Nakamba can more effectively cover for Luiz/McGinn than Hourihane can. So, unless we know for certain that Luiz will be off and are bringing in an early replacement for him, I'd be more willing to let Hourihane go, since we have Jack/Ramsey/Traore who can play just off the striker.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Transfermarkt lists him as Jan. 1. so you may be right that he was signed a month earlier, but transferred January. 

Nah he signed nearer the start of the season iirc. Made his debut in like October against Wimbledon. Jan 1st had no significance for transfers back then, transfermarkt probably just defaults transfers as that if they were midseason transfers pre window

2 minutes ago, a-k said:

IMO, Nakamba can more effectively cover for Luiz/McGinn than Hourihane can. So, unless we know for certain that Luiz will be off and are bringing in an early replacement for him, I'd be more willing to let Hourihane go, since we have Jack/Ramsey/Traore who can play just off the striker.

Forgot about that Luiz clause. It's going to be a long January/Summer!

I hope we have a list of replacements lined up just in case.

• Like 1

It's wrong to write off Watkins saying he is not good enough to compete at the top end of the table.  His non-penalty xG is 7.5 or 0.6 per 90.  As good as any striker in the league.  He is getting into the right positions he has just been unlucky with 2 or 3? very close VAR decisions, a wonder save from De Gea and a few that have hit the post he could easily have 10 goals so far this season.  To put things in context Rashford has a npXG of 0.41 per 90 and 7 goals and is considered to be having a good season.  Kane is 0.4, Vardy 0.4 Tammy 0.58 (also on 6 goals btw).

Watkins, if anything has proven he can be a top premier league striker and will get 15 goals or more in his first season plus maybe 5 assists.  Wesley will be back soon to provide some competition. 

If we strengthen we need a CM/DCM to provide competition/cover for McGinn/Luiz.  Hourihane and Nakamba are not good enough and should be sold.

I would also be in for Buendia if he can be bought for <25m and I would sell Trez.

A young LB would also be good to provide cover for Targett who is playing very well.  I would also get a young CB to provide some more depth and sell Engels.

• Like 2

Just on the RW question specifically, everyone has to remember that we play with inverted winger. That means a RW should be left footed and they left footed wingers don’t grow on trees.

El Ghazi and Trez are both right footed, Traore is left footed.

The problem with Traore is that he is painfully one footed.....on the RW he can ONLY cut inside. He also doesn’t track back enough which probably means Cash is reluctant to get forward as much as he could/should because he is left exposed.

To find a left footed RW who can also use their right foot to hit the byline AND track back is gonna be really hard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Nah he signed nearer the start of the season iirc. Made his debut in like October against Wimbledon. Jan 1st had no significance for transfers back then, transfermarkt probably just defaults transfers as that if they were midseason transfers pre window

You're correct. Found an article from September 8th. that he signed for us.

If you ask me I think if we dont bring at least two or three players in january, we are asking for trouble to just drift down the table from fatigue. We need viable options, real solid quality players or I fear tiredness will kill this team and cost us a europe place.

Surely the Owners will spend if there are options we can take and players who would suit us. I just cant see us winning any of the big games from now on unless we give our first eleven some much needed rest and start rotating.

Barkley and Wesley may not be back for abit, our bench at the moment isnt all that good, they certainly are not game changers. As good as weve played against teams so far those performances at some point may start to dip, we need to take action to prevent this, it will cost in January.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If you ask me I think if we dont bring at least two or three players in january, we are asking for trouble to just drift down the table from fatigue. We need viable options, real solid quality players or I fear tiredness will kill this team and cost us a europe place.

Surely the Owners will spend if there are options we can take and players who would suit us. I just cant see us winning any of the big games from now on unless we give our first eleven some much needed rest and start rotating.

Barkley and Wesley may not be back for abit, our bench at the moment isnt all that good, they certainly are not game changers. As good as weve played against teams so far those performances at some point may start to dip, we need to take action to prevent this, it will cost in January.

I think we'll still pick up results and look competitive but my issue, like you, is options. 

Just looking at the bench is deflating, there is nothing on there that is going to make a difference and even worse will make the team significantly worse. 

Normally the bench gives options like a different type of striker or a speedy winger or a different kind of creative midfielder but we have nothing. 

Yes when Trez comes back, Barkley and eventually Wes it'll help but we need more and I hope we do pick up some players if possible because we should try and capitalise on this great start to the season.  We have a great first XI but really struggling beyond one or two players after that.

I know Dean doesnt want to stockpile players but at the same time the current pile isnt of quality and I know it maybe hard to get rid of some of them but we shouldnt hurt ourselves because of that. 

A couple of players could really be the difference, as you say, than fatiguing down the league table as the season goes on.

• Like 3

With Kalinic going out on loan does this open up a space? Think Davis really could do with a loan where he will get more game time (only if we bring someone else in of course)

When trez is fit and say we bring in another winger, I’d use Traore as the back up forward to Watkins.

15 minutes ago, Loxstock92 said:

With Kalinic going out on loan does this open up a space? Think Davis really could do with a loan where he will get more game time (only if we bring someone else in of course)

When trez is fit and say we bring in another winger, I’d use Traore as the back up forward to Watkins.

I think we need another winger but we need somebody to lead the line like Ollie and that isn’t Traore.  I think more than anything we need another striker even if just on loan to provide competition for Ollie or at least an alternative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

No 

And I don't think he'd come either, South London boy who got a move to the big south London club, its a very good move for him 

Shame, Eze is the calibre of player we need in those wide forward positions. Strong, confident on the ball and works hard... As good as they've been recently, AEG, Traore and Trez are the areas we need to upgrade.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Shame, Eze is the calibre of player we need in those wide forward positions. Strong, confident on the ball and works hard... As good as they've been recently, AEG, Traore and Trez are the areas we need to upgrade.

can we keep signing wingers only to find its not what we wanted?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

can we keep signing wingers only to find its not what we wanted?

Maybe... It just seems that, given our chosen shape or playing style, the defence is solid, the midfield strong and we have a forward who holds the ball up well and keeps defenders busy. What we're lacking, in comparison, is real quality wingers to complete the picture. Watching the game yesterday if the teams switched the wide players, i.e. Fernandez and Rashford were Villa players, it'd be us changing for the top 4/title.