Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Think we are still some way from being able to poach the top performers from the top teams in the Bundesliga. But I hear Werder Bremen has a talented young player from Kosovo that might be worth a look.

Name??

41 minutes ago, sne said:

Think we are still some way from being able to poach the top performers from the top teams in the Bundesliga. But I hear Werder Bremen has a talented young player from Kosovo that might be worth a look.

Please no. I have heard enough terrible puns already today!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is Leon Bailey attainable? 🤔 Or would Traore essentially have taken that spot. I think Bailey can play anywhere across the front, been on fire this season it seems.

No

Leverkusen are doing better than us and if he was then bigger fish than us would be after him, he's not the world beater that he might have been but he's a CL player, he strolls in to about 16 PL starting 11s and pretty much all 20 squads 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Can’t believe people are still talking about Alli....  never happening and wouldn’t want him.

A falling star finds an ambitious team on the way back up and jumps ship to get going again. Meh, its happened before more than once. It could happen with Barkley 

I'm not saying it's likely or that we're even interested, but in lieu of anything else to discuss, its a bit of fun to consider. I can see pros and cons anyway.

9 hours ago, Mazrim said:

A falling star finds an ambitious team on the way back up and jumps ship to get going again. Meh, its happened before more than once. It could happen with Barkley 

I'm not saying it's likely or that we're even interested, but in lieu of anything else to discuss, its a bit of fun to consider. I can see pros and cons anyway.

If I were a ship I'd stay way clear of falling stars tbh. You'd end up lost and off course. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, sne said:

See what I did there 😎.

Planted the seed... 👀

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mic09 said:

While I wouldn't be jumping with happiness about Alli, I think that is a very important point.

I think that Barkley has just found the right club.

I think another player that is crying out for a transfer is John Stones.

It might just be that Alli also needs a change of scenery to be making an impact.

I think we suit Barkley perfectly.

(I think Stones would be great here, said as much in the summer.)

I think Alli would be great here too, in exactly the same way as Barkley. Definitely the level of quality that we need to be aiming throughout the team if we are move forward, we need 25 quality players and no one is a nailed on starter to compete for top 6 and all that goes with it(Europe).

FWIW I think Eriksen would fit right in too.

Just take in how much we would move on if we had those three on top of what we already have. 

Edited by thunderball

Alli is a good player, he'll either come good again at Spurs or go somewhere else, probably a team better positioned than we at the moment and return to form there, and then we'll look back on the last few pages with a humorous light in our eyes wondering why some of us thought that he might not be good enough for us.

That said I'm not sure why people are even talking about him, or Eriksen for that matter, even if they were realistic targets, the only way they would fit in our side is where Barkley plays, or if we changed formation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is Leon Bailey attainable? 🤔 Or would Traore essentially have taken that spot. I think Bailey can play anywhere across the front, been on fire this season it seems.

I've mentioned him before as that sort of step up in quality player like Barkley to get.

He lost his way a bit last season after being hyped up in previous years (probably more to do he was apparently thinking of declaring for England around that time) but from what I've seen he's been good the whole of 2020 and played big part in Leverkusen going top the other week although in true Leverkusen fashion they then decide to lose to Bayern Munich in 94th minute to basically end their title bid before it even begun.....

Anyway there's certainly space for another wide player given Traore is seen as more central player here I think, El Ghazi has only come back into the frame in last few weeks and could still be moved on end of the season and Trez has been good but has his limits e.g can't ever see him being a regular for us if we're finishing top 6 in the future.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I've mentioned him before as that sort of step up in quality player like Barkley to get.

He lost his way a bit last season after being hyped up in previous years (probably more to do he was apparently thinking of declaring for England around that time) but from what I've seen he's been good the whole of 2020 and played big part in Leverkusen going top the other week although in true Leverkusen fashion they then decide to lose to Bayern Munich in 94th minute to basically end their title bid before it even begun.....

Anyway there's certainly space for another wide player given Traore is seen as more central player here I think, El Ghazi has only come back into the frame in last few weeks and could still be moved on end of the season and Trez has been good but has his limits e.g can't ever see him being a regular for us if we're finishing top 6 in the future.

Obviously would be the dream for me as a Jamaican Villa fan, but in years past I got the impression he was a bit of a Billy big bollox.

Seems to have settled down in years past.

As others have said though, possibly bigger fish would be in for him. However, we improve by pushing the boat out a bit more each cycle don't we?

Irony is, it might get to the point where we are " too good " for the likes of Rashica.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Alli will surely go to PSG aswell. They wanted him on loan last summer apparently but Spurs didn't want to let him go then and Poch will probably end up there in next few days.

Has Pochettino been confirmed?

I fancy him to do well there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

I think we suit Barkley perfectly.

(I think Stones would be great here, said as much in the summer.)

I think Alli would be great here too, in exactly the same way as Barkley. Definitely the level of quality that we need to be aiming throughout the team if we are move forward, we need 25 quality players and no one is a nailed on starter to compete for top 6 and all that goes with it(Europe).

FWIW I think Eriksen would fit right in too.

Just take in how much we would move on if we had those three on top of what we already have. 

No to Ali and Erikson they would just cost too much in a fee/wage combination and would have top teams in for them anyway.

I said the same about Stone too (and got laughed at), I just think with a run of games at a 'lesser' club he will be a good acquisition for the money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

No to Ali and Erikson they would just cost too much in a fee/wage combination and would have top teams in for them anyway.

I said the same about Stone too (and got laughed at), I just think with a run of games at a 'lesser' club he will be a good acquisition for the money.

We have one of the lowest wage bills in the division at the moment and likely have ample headroom. Sadly the “wage bill league” almost mirrors the final league positions which says it all. We have to rise to the challenge, we can see what a difference Barkley has made as a quality recruit.

Edited by thunderball