Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

28 minutes ago, rayk said:

I don’t think he’s setting the Chumps on fire. His team mate Joao Pedro seems to be catching the eye more.

I honest to god never saw what the fuss was ever about.

His stats were worse than our ‘shit’ wingers in a team that was pretty much on par with us all of last season.  

Yet there were people on here shouting for us to spunk £40m on him!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Gregg Evans said there's no clause.

So there's more than just hope I'd say. It's a sure thing.

One way of looking at it is we've already paid a loan fee of 11m so got to think that as a sort of down payment will help us get a manageable final fee compared to say West Ham wanting him next summer.

I'm quite confident we'll get him unless Everton suddenly decide they want him back but I doubt that as they're pretty stocked in midfield currently.

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

One way of looking at it is we've already paid a loan fee of 11m so got to think that as a sort of down payment will help us get a manageable final fee compared to say West Ham wanting him next summer.

I'm quite confident we'll get him unless Everton suddenly decide they want him back but I doubt that as they're pretty stocked in midfield currently.

the loan fee for Barkley was 11m?....bajeesus :P

I think he was a great marquee signing for where we are, but also im trying to look at it constructively, he has only played 6 games for us, got injured, and due to being unavailable for the Chelsea game might not get another start until Jan.

My heart says he would be worth a 25-35m punt in Jan or the summer, my head says that although he has done pretty well in the games he has played for us, he maybe hasnt warranted us splurging 35m on him....yet.

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

We need a genuine goal threat on the bench. I know Wesley is due back soon, but I wouldnt mind another one. And yeah, like Targett but we're weak there. Another LB would be nice.

To be fair for a quick cheap option I can only think ofJosh king, he can play across the forward line and play behind a lone striker, can provide a good few options.

You know im not sold on these Renato Sanchez and Lingard rumours because of nasty injury record, yet I think Smith could get something out of King but he to has had some injury problems..

Edited by Dave-R

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the loan fee for Barkley was 11m?....bajeesus :P

I think he was a great marquee signing for where we are, but also im trying to look at it constructively, he has only played 6 games for us, got injured, and due to being unavailable for the Chelsea game might not get another start until Jan.

My heart says he would be worth a 25-35m punt in Jan or the summer, my head says that although he has done pretty well in the games he has played for us, he maybe hasnt warranted us splurging 35m on him....yet.

I honestly think that this was a ‘Grealish signing’

He was probably promised we’d go get some big names to get him to sign a new contract, and he might have said ‘well what about Barkley?’

Pure speculation on my part, but if true, best £11m we EVER spent.

10 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I'd try for Llyod Kelly. We've gone down the more athlete route with our signings this summer ( obviously married with decent footballing ability ) He's a big unit, can defend and get forward. Lot of development in him also. Targett is playing well but he's probably maxed out in terms of how good he is going to get. Don't think there's huge improvement in him. I don't buy into the theory that Bournemouth wouldn't sell because they are challenging for promotion. I think they'd sell at any time if a club met their valuation of a player. Kelly would be a sound investment for Villa.

Great shout, he can play centre back as well which would cover both positions quite nicely.

Personally feel we should look to sign Michael Olise, the guy looks a sensational talent and will probably end up being these players we live to regret not signing in the future when someone like Leicester or Southampton pick him up instead. 

4 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Personally feel we should look to sign Michael Olise, the guy looks a sensational talent and will probably end up being these players we live to regret not signing in the future when someone like Leicester or Southampton pick him up instead. 

I’ve heard great things but the ghost of Tshibola still haunts me. 

Ive said it before plenty of times, there is enough talent in the Championship to build a very good Premier League side. 

• Haha 1

I think Saka is probably unrealistic as even if he was available I'd imagine that there'd be a lot of interest from clubs better positioned than we at the moment to attract him. My ungreat guess is that if we go for a leftback it will be someone to eventually challenge Targett and add competition but not to immediately replace him, maybe someone from the championship or the French league.

Maitland-Niles might be pushing it as well, was out of favor but of late there have been calls to give him more of chance.

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm also serious re Arsenal, I'd test the water for some of their good young players because they need cash for a rebuild. They've some good young players like Saka, Nelson and Maitland-Niles they might be tempted to sell.

I think that angry bloke who does the arsenal  fan tv would blow up if they sold us any of them!

• Haha 2

Its actually getting hard to upgrade this first 11 now without spending £40 million on a player. 

And those sort of players don't want to come to Villa if we aren't in the Champions League/Europe.

This is where every team that challenges the top 6 hits the glass ceiling - how to find better players on lower wages than the big 6 will pay and who will come to your team.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1