Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Yusuf Yazıcı (Lille) an Attacking Midfield 23 year old Turkish player is worth looking at.

They signed him in summer of 2019 for around £15.7million from Trabzonspor and he has had a great start this season.

Two hat-tricks (inc Hat-trick vs AC Milan last week) in Europa League already this season. 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

a comparison ozil in 184 PL appearances has 54 assists, 65 big chances created and 121 through balls

It's great looking at player total stats and ignoring my original point that he's gone to shit several seasons ago

39 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Yusuf Yazıcı (Lille) an Attacking Midfield 23 year old Turkish player is worth looking at.

They signed him in summer of 2019 for around £15.7million from Trabzonspor and he has had a great start this season.

Two hat-tricks (inc Hat-trick vs AC Milan last week) in Europa League already this season. 

Lille dont sell cheap, they got 150 million for Pepe and Oshimen in last 2 summers. We wont be paying them prices yet

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Nah no signings, Just keep the team we've got now.
Winter transfer window is for the teams that aren't run very well. 

I half agree, not a big fan of January transfers but if something comes up we should definitely go for it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i think we have to balance it between our current season objectives / ambition and what we may have coming through towards the end of this year / next year

for example do we go buy a 21 year old CM for the next 10 years when we have ramsey x 2, chuk, bogarde, chrisene all potentially breaking through in the next 2, same with the striker position with barry and shakpoke

i think you look at where we haven't got anyone coming through and then can get excited about linking us to young and big name talent but in midfield in particular i think we will be careful with it, if anything we'll get another (hopefully better) drinkwater type signing just to see us through 

I haven't seen anything more than clips but these boys - as talented as they are - are mostly 16 years old and whilst we should have a development plan for them, I see this as at least three years out unless some are really exceptional - Rashford and Greenwood, Bellingham, Rooney historically - that type/quality.  If we are looking at competing at the top end of the PL we can't be relying on these guys in the short term.

I would imagine they need a year or two together to bond/get to know the club and then the bulk will need to start a proper loan programme at, say, 18 to get some experience of the men's game.  I think most are best served by getting experience at a lower level and building up.  We have retained Jacob Ramsey, who looks a real talent, but he doesn't seem to be anywhere near the first eighteen and I think he would be developing much quicker if he went out and was playing men's football week in week out but our lack of depth has stopped this.  Hopefully, we can get a couple in in January and let him go out for 6 months. 

40 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's great looking at player total stats and ignoring my original point that he's gone to shit several seasons ago

I'm with you.  He'd be an even more expensive Drinkwater. 

At his best, he was a wonderfully gifted footballer but he just doesn't fit the profile of a modern day footballer - he doesn't have the right work ethic and even the best teams in the world can't afford to carry luxury footballers nowadays.  Everybody has to work hard to make a team complete.

Anyway, we'd lose the last few Chinese followers (hanging on from the Xia days) if we bought him in! 😉

Priority is striker and central defence for me. 

January is USUALLY an appalling time to buy but this year might be different. 

With Covid 19 biting there may be a number of teams who are absolutely desperate to sell to survive. Many might have thought they could hold out in the summer and see it out but it's gone on for longer than they thought. 

If we can get bargains well and good, but if it's the usual overpriced rubbish, let's not bother. 

Tie up the Barkley deal, get some signings arranged for the summer (like we did with Guilbert and Chelsea did with Ziyech). 
Then bring in a young attacker (maybe from lower league), to learn and get ready for next season. 
If we can get a cb in great, but it’s probably not the best time to get one.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Tie up the Barkley deal, get some signings arranged for the summer (like we did with Guilbert and Chelsea did with Ziyech). 
Then bring in a young attacker (maybe from lower league), to learn and get ready for next season. 
If we can get a cb in great, but it’s probably not the best time to get one.

Spot on , type of deal spurs did for Dele Ali for a young up and coming player that is getting game time regularly

6 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I've watched a different Ozil to you then. He's the most creative player at Arsenal creates so much for them. Off the ball he's always getting players to move into good positions so he can break the lines and cause havoc. 

However as someone said above I think it's @villa4europe he wouldn't suit us. 

We surely need a number 10 less than even an RB though? Given Barkley is playing there and if he gets injured we can just move Jack back into that position (and even at a push McGinn could be effective there I reckon with late runs into the box).

Joking about RB but AEM will probably leave next summer and Gulibert is as good as gone in January so we will actually need another one to challenge Cash, could use Freddy in a swop deal I reckon.

Can also use loan market as will be loads of players wanting more minutes with the euros coming up.

6 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Harry Pickering (Crewe Alexandra) 21 year old left back that can also play as a Central Midfielder

He's already having yet another good season for Crewe and is the best young left back in lower divisions, as well as being a excellent talent his stats are impressive too.

@omariqyknow' how much i rate Pickering and i also mentioned him on my The Villa Talks podcast.

What level do you reckon Charlie Kirk will end up at mate? Watched him in pre season v Walsall on their YT channel and he's got ability and scored decent amount in league 2 last season for a wide forward.

Harder for Crewe to sell players to top league now, was the last ones Nick Powell to Man. Unired and Westwood to us in 2012?

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I half agree, not a big fan of January transfers but if something comes up we should definitely go for it

The risk though is players will just hit the wall fitness wise around March and we'll massively tail off like in the MON seasons considering there isn't much rotation now.

Of course expectations different and if falling away means we end up 8th or 9th then that's still an excellent season for us.

Just think with way season is shaping up there could be a massive opportunity for us to do something we haven't done in a long time and think with these owners they'd roll the dice if we were still in very good position late January.

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm with you.  He'd be an even more expensive Drinkwater. 

At his best, he was a wonderfully gifted footballer but he just doesn't fit the profile of a modern day footballer - he doesn't have the right work ethic and even the best teams in the world can't afford to carry luxury footballers nowadays.  Everybody has to work hard to make a team complete.

Anyway, we'd lose the last few Chinese followers (hanging on from the Xia days) if we bought him in! 😉

We’ll gain a lot of fans from the milk tea alliance though🤣

Could look at this a different way. Clubs looking to buy will be looking to save with Covid ruining everyone’s finances. We might not be buying, but it could be an opportunity to sell the likes of a Lansbury on the cheap to get the wages off the books.