Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Any move we make could very well be decided by injury.

If we don't have any pressing matters I would love a good winger, one that can impact a game when we need a goal. We also need some depth in midfield. Hourihane gets swatted aside by 90% of the league and Marv is desperately short on the ball.

Christoph Baumgartner from Hoffenheim would be a good option. Buckets of skill, plays in the middle, off the left, up front, don't think he'll have a set position for a few years yet, only 21. If he stays in Germany he'll probably be at Dortmund or Bayern in two years, we can get him now.

Mounir Chouiar is going to go somewhere about our level soon as well. Perfect impact winger who we can throw on if we're chasing a game.

After the prices we paid in the summer I do wonder if we're shopping slightly above the level I'm thinking of. Which would be absolutely fine, and pretty exciting. 

Perhaps some serious players like Mikel Oyarzabal, Oliver Torres or even the mighty Milot Rashica are on the radar. Probably nothing that big in January.

Wow had to look Torres up to see what he's doing as I remember he was massively rated breaking through at Atletico Madrid 7-8 years ago but seems he stalled and went on endless loans to Porto. Now could be rehabilitated like so many at Sevilla. Only turned 26 today which is a bit mad considering how long he's been around.

Oyarzabal is very good but he's currently playing for number one team in Spain who also should have good europa run. And he's Basque so not moving anytime soon and a hundred times more difficult to get than Rodrigo was.

Valencia probably best bet given their state. Would've loved Kondogbia but Atletico Madrid signed him to show what his level is last week.

Think Granada are worth looking at as they play a similar style to us and doing well in europa. Got a good DM in Yangel Herrera who's errrrrr on loan from Man. City so if you want the new Douglas Luiz he's your man. A bit taller but still very box to box in style.

Darwin Marchis also a good front 3 striker. Improved his goal scoring over last 12 months. Was at Udinese, now at Granada but Watford in no position to sign him out of the prem so very realistic target.

I suspect though given we've just paid 15m for Traore and he's barely played we'd rather give him a serious chance when injuries hit and El Ghazi is still around aswell so think CB and LB are the obvious priority areas and perhaps midfield aswell if we can move two out.

Edited by VillaChris

7 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Once again, I don’t understand the fascination with wanting a powerful, strong DM. We seem to be getting on okay with a defensive midfielder of relatively smaller stature that has excellent technical ability.

If it’s to offer an alternative for games when we’re ‘under the cosh’, then I suppose I see the logic, but then again we’ve done fine against some great teams without a battering ram in the middle.

Answered your own question.

See Soutampton, Leeds etc.

Destroyed us in Midfield.

All te top teams ave at least one, starters or not.

We are relevant for the first time in about 10 years. We should capitalise and strengthen with some quality.

Equally, if we can’t improve without having our pants pulled down then I’m happy to wait until the summer confident that we will finish in a decent enough position to improve on what we have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Answered your own question.

See Soutampton, Leeds etc.

Destroyed us in Midfield.

All te top teams ave at least one, starters or not.

Leeds destroyed us on the wings specifically our right. They bypassed middle of park most of the game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see us buying someone who'll easily dislodge anyone from first XI the way we're playing. We need to be looking at young talent good deals to improve backup in some areas mainly LB CB like Leicester got Justin from Luton a season before they started playing him regularly

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't see us buying someone who'll easily dislodge anyone from first XI the way we're playing. We need to be looking at young talent good deals to improve backup in some areas mainly LB CB like Leicester got Justin from Luton a season before they started playing him regularly

And Wesley Fofana this summer.

Our starting 11 might be mid table but our bench (hopefully with Traore the exception) is relegation quality. We really need to strengthen a lot.

Edited by sne

I'd go for a quality Striker and then send Wesley and Davis out on loan as both of them need regular minutes. Then a CB cover and let one of House and Engels leave.  Other than this it would basically be finding replacements for players that will be off in the summer MF (Hourihane); LB (Taylor); LW (El Ghazi?), but this is not urgent unless we already have an injury crisis on our hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Leeds destroyed us on the wings specifically our right. They bypassed middle of park most of the game

Yeah. Their DM had to be subbed off before half time because he was going to get sent off, due to his inability to compete with our midfield. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Rashica has already agreed to join Leverkusen in January hasn't he?  Like you I'd like us to look for a younger understudy for Targett, maybe loan them back til the summer like we did with Guilbert.  Same with a centre half.  

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/11/11/president-says-reported-20-5m-aston-villa-target-could-leave-in-january-wants-75k-a-week/

Suggests he is still definitely available - Werder need the money and Leverkusen is not a done deal.

i think we have to balance it between our current season objectives / ambition and what we may have coming through towards the end of this year / next year

for example do we go buy a 21 year old CM for the next 10 years when we have ramsey x 2, chuk, bogarde, chrisene all potentially breaking through in the next 2, same with the striker position with barry and shakpoke

i think you look at where we haven't got anyone coming through and then can get excited about linking us to young and big name talent but in midfield in particular i think we will be careful with it, if anything we'll get another (hopefully better) drinkwater type signing just to see us through 

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wow had to look Torres up to see what he's doing as I remember he was massively rated breaking through at Atletico Madrid 7-8 years ago but seems he stalled and went on endless loans to Porto. Now could be rehabilitated like so many at Sevilla. Only turned 26 today which is a bit mad considering how long he's been around.

Oyarzabal is very good but he's currently playing for number one team in Spain who also should have good europa run. And he's Basque so not moving anytime soon and a hundred times more difficult to get than Rodrigo was.

Valencia probably best bet given their state. Would've loved Kondogbia but Atletico Madrid signed him to show what his level is last week.

Think Granada are worth looking at as they play a similar style to us and doing well in europa. Got a good DM in Yangel Herrera who's errrrrr on loan from Man. City so if you want the new Douglas Luiz he's your man. A bit taller but still very box to box in style.

Darwin Marchis also a good front 3 striker. Improved his goal scoring over last 12 months. Was at Udinese, now at Granada but Watford in no position to sign him out of the prem so very realistic target.

I suspect though given we've just paid 15m for Traore and he's barely played we'd rather give him a serious chance when injuries hit and El Ghazi is still around aswell so think CB and LB are the obvious priority areas and perhaps midfield aswell if we can move two out.

Jesus, Torres must have been about 13 yrs of age when he was knocking them in for Liverpool. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

Would anyone take Ozil on loan for the rest of the season?

i do rate him but even if we only pay 30% of his wages that's 100k a week...no chance we're paying that

I think over the next two windows we need to upgrade the following positions and squad places, in no particular order and with some random names.  

CM/DM - We were reportedly interested in Uros Racic from Valencia in the summer and I’d like us to go back in for him as completion for Luiz as Nakamba isn’t near the same class.

ST - Josh Sargent is a striker I really like the look of from Bremen and would compliment Watkins & Wesley. Edouard at Celtic is another obvious name but not so sure now. 

LW - Let’s forget Rashica my LW dream signing would be the lad from RB Salzburg Dominik Szoboszlai, but he is unrealistic at this stage - next summer perhaps? Antonio Marin is another one to keep tabs on. 

CM/AM - Christoph Baumgartner is a talent we should be keeping an eye on especially if Barkley is a no go permanently next summer. Michael Olise from Reading is also one we are hopefully monitoring. 

LB - Lloyd Kelly from Bournemouth fits the mould. I also wonder if Robert Skov could be a LB version of Cash at RB? Owen Wijndal is another fantastic young LB from AZ Alkmaar. 

CB - I wonder if our reported interest in CB Victor Nelsson from FC Copenhagen was for real or simple clickbait lazy link journalism? A really like the look of Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic & Djule Caleta-Car from Marseille. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Rashica has already agreed to join Leverkusen in January hasn't he?  Like you I'd like us to look for a younger understudy for Targett, maybe loan them back til the summer like we did with Guilbert.  Same with a centre half.  

We don’t care. We need to sign him to unlock the best thread in VT history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i do rate him but even if we only pay 30% of his wages that's 100k a week...no chance we're paying that

Seriously? You haven't watched him play last 4-5 seasons when he actually even played. Total show pony and garbage at that. This can only be name recognition and not based on watching surely?