Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

We already have 25 registered players, no? And Lansbury not given a squad number.

Given that it's hard to imagine us being able to shift many off the books, I doubt we will be too busy. I would definitely like to get a striker on a loan or short term deal, and let Davis go on loan to get game time. Otherwise, it would be good to start bedding in a left-back ready for when Taylor's contract ends.

EDIT: Are there any quality players in the US or China who might be open to a 6 month loan?

Edited by HanoiVillan

I can see Heaton maybe going on loan to free up wages and for him to get some game time. Sadly I don't really think he has a future at the club now. Hopefully terminate Lansbury contract as well. El Ghazi could go as he seems to be out of the pecking order.  I think we will keep players like Taylor and Elmo  till the end of the season as back ups. We need to shift about 3-4 out to free up some space, perhaps another forward as back up for Watkins.

54 minutes ago, thabucks said:

LW - Let’s forget Rashica my LW dream signing would be the lad from RB Salzburg Dominik Szoboszlai, but he is unrealistic at this stage - next summer perhaps? Antonio Marin is another one to keep tabs on. 

not just me playing FM then...

szoboszlai will get a big big move next summer i think, marin could be realistic but he's gone out on loan to monza this year which suggests that he's not ready yet

• Like 2

If we're still anywhere near the top 6 by Jan - and I'd hope we will be given fixtures - we should strike whilst the iron is hot and there is still reduced competition from other clubs due to Covid financial pressures. There's a potential opportunity here to make a big stride forward this season but I can't see our squad holding out without quality reinforcement. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Seriously? You haven't watched him play last 4-5 seasons when he actually even played. Total show pony and garbage at that. This can only be name recognition and not based on watching surely?

couldn't tell you last time i saw him play to be honest...anyway my point stands that i wouldn't want him based on the amount we'd have to pay in wages

In the past teams have made some very astute signings in January.

If we are still top six then a strong acquisition to the first team could make this a big season for us?!

Imagine if someone like Rashica comes in and scores ten goals to help us win the league; then I'll forgive him.

Where's @AvfcRigo82 anyone seen 'em?

staring bruce lee GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Seriously? You haven't watched him play last 4-5 seasons when he actually even played. Total show pony and garbage at that. This can only be name recognition and not based on watching surely?

disagree slightly

he was a quality player, absolute rolls royce, to me as an outsider looking in i can assume that a lot of what other fans say about grealish is also true of ozil, you can look up his wikipedia page and say that his goal contributions arent enough when in reality his chances created stats and assist to the assist nonsense are both sky high

the problem with him was arsenal were shit and he was scapegoated, sky picked him apart based on his work rate which they are now also trying to do with grealish but thats not what he's there for, then you throw in those muppets at AFTV and the whole place was just a cesspit which he got sucked in to rather than pulled himself clear of, he was still winning Germany's player of the year whilst the arsenal boo boys were trying to force him out of the team

i think he did and especially now would have to be in a very successful team who play good possession football to click and we're not that, he wouldnt fit us, he'd fit in to man city for example as a 2 year replacement for silva whilst foden was still breaking through

as a comparison ozil in 184 PL appearances has 54 assists, 65 big chances created and 121 through balls, jack has 77 - 12 - 18 - 2, i dont like using stats for comparing players because its so misleading but ozil is almost the other way round, you see his body language and hear the complaints about him and then need the stats to remember just how good he is

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

disagree slightly

he was a quality player, absolute rolls royce, to me as an outsider looking in i can assume that a lot of what other fans say about grealish is also true of ozil, you can look up his wikipedia page and say that his goal contributions arent enough when in reality his chances created stats and assist to the assist nonsense are both sky high

the problem with him was arsenal were shit and he was scapegoated, sky picked him apart based on his work rate which they are now also trying to do with grealish but thats not what he's there for, then you throw in those muppets at AFTV and the whole place was just a cesspit which he got sucked in to rather than pulled himself clear of, he was still winning Germany's player of the year whilst the arsenal boo boys were trying to force him out of the team

i think he did and especially now would have to be in a very successful team who play good possession football to click and we're not that, he wouldnt fit us, he'd fit in to man city for example as a 2 year replacement for silva whilst foden was still breaking through

as a comparison ozil in 184 PL appearances has 54 assists, 65 big chances created and 121 through balls, jack has 77 - 12 - 18 - 2, i dont like using stats for comparing players because its so misleading but ozil is almost the other way round, you see his body language and hear the complaints about him and then need the stats to remember just how good he is

It's just like the folks on here turning down the idea of Bale last summer.  

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

We already have 25 registered players, no? And Lansbury not given a squad number.

Given that it's hard to imagine us being able to shift many off the books, I doubt we will be too busy. I would definitely like to get a striker on a loan or short term deal, and let Davis go on loan to get game time. Otherwise, it would be good to start bedding in a left-back ready for when Taylor's contract ends.

EDIT: Are there any quality players in the US or China who might be open to a 6 month loan?

Yes not much wiggle room at all, apart from that we've got 3 RBs registered. I suppose as a priority you'd have to be looking to move on (and that could just mean a loan) Guilbert, like it or not, of the 2 backups if Elmo can supposedly cover CB and certainly RW, as this would free up a slot for anywhere on the pitch.

After that if a (or another) forward comes in you need to take Davis or AEG out of the squad, LB for Taylor obviously, CB for Hause. Not much more can be done as I see it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Winger/Inside Forward - Hopefully Traore will come good, but if there is any doubt from the Coaching Team, we need someone to actually fill that right wing (or can play right wing/other positions - versatility), imo we need someone who offers something attacking down the right, to balance out the quality on our left wing. (even if Traore does come good, i might still say we need another versatile winger, ie: Grealish, Traore, Trez, NEW)

That is pretty much my thinking too on that position. Otherwise, if something comes up at the right price, which it may well then I would think that we might just have a serious look. Otherwise, it may be another three or four quality signings in the next window to further improve us. We might also need a bit more squad depth then, if we are to be playing in Europe next season. ;) 

12 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't see us buying someone who'll easily dislodge anyone from first XI the way we're playing. We need to be looking at young talent good deals to improve backup in some areas mainly LB CB like Leicester got Justin from Luton a season before they started playing him regularly

We won’t sign any of these in January but we should keep tabs on Nathan Collins, Lloyd Kelly and Rico Henry.  Definite options at CB and LB but probably next summer would be more realistic and dependant if any of these clinch promotion. 

6 hours ago, thabucks said:

I think over the next two windows we need to upgrade the following positions and squad places, in no particular order and with some random names.  

CM/DM - We were reportedly interested in Uros Racic from Valencia in the summer and I’d like us to go back in for him as completion for Luiz as Nakamba isn’t near the same class.

ST - Josh Sargent is a striker I really like the look of from Bremen and would compliment Watkins & Wesley. Edouard at Celtic is another obvious name but not so sure now. 

LW - Let’s forget Rashica my LW dream signing would be the lad from RB Salzburg Dominik Szoboszlai, but he is unrealistic at this stage - next summer perhaps? Antonio Marin is another one to keep tabs on. 

CM/AM - Christoph Baumgartner is a talent we should be keeping an eye on especially if Barkley is a no go permanently next summer. Michael Olise from Reading is also one we are hopefully monitoring. 

LB - Lloyd Kelly from Bournemouth fits the mould. I also wonder if Robert Skov could be a LB version of Cash at RB? Owen Wijndal is another fantastic young LB from AZ Alkmaar. 

CB - I wonder if our reported interest in CB Victor Nelsson from FC Copenhagen was for real or simple clickbait lazy link journalism? A really like the look of Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic & Djule Caleta-Car from Marseille. 

All RB Salzburg players have release clauses. I'd bring in some their talent spotters along with our own @Villain4Life who rarely gets anything wrong when identifying players.

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've watched a different Ozil to you then. He's the most creative player at Arsenal creates so much for them. Off the ball he's always getting players to move into good positions so he can break the lines and cause havoc. 

However as someone said above I think it's @villa4europe he wouldn't suit us. 

• Like 2

With how well we’re playing lately, plus all of the plaudits we’ve been getting in the media, as well as Mings, Grealish, Martinez and Luiz all moving forward in their international careers under us, you’d think we’re a really attractive option for players to sign for.

It’ll only take a little bit more of this form for Watkins, Konsa and Barkley to break in (or break back in, in Barkley’s case) to the England squad.

That’s really positive for us as a club, when it comes to signings. We could realistically now be looking at a market of players a level higher than we’ve shopped in for a long, long time.

• Like 2