Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

4 losses in 5 is relegation form.

We need to stop the rot. Once you start losing it quickly becomes a habit.

This is very true, heads can drop quickly and the valiant / unlucky losses can quickly become stinking losses and the nice play becomes nervous play.

We do seem to be a streaky team under Deano where we can win a few on the run but equally lose quite a few, I sometimes wish we could turn a few of these narrow losses into draws. We need a win now against Newcastle, if we drop more points in that game then we could quickly find that our early season form stands for nothing and we are in for a battle over the rest of the season. Here is hoping this is just a blip, and the good results are close to returning.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

5 wins in 9 is 8th-6th place form.

Beat Barcodes and we are 4th.

This is a very good start, and this team is clearly playing well, yesterdays performance was solid.

Very good start is a stretch, any team is capable of stringing a few results together at the start of a season. As things have started to settle down we have quickly been found out. You don't even have to look at other clubs for proof, it was literally us last season. The football was really good for 10 games but then we got he stuffing knocked out of us and basically clung on for the rest of the season. Lose to Newcastle and we are starting to look over our shoulders already. Amazing how such a promising start can be thrown away in 6 games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Everton aren't a team that barely survived last season.

Looks like our game against Newcastle is going to be postponed as well, increasing the chances that we could be just six points of the relegation zone after this weekend and then with Wolves to come, a game we might have had some confidence going into a while ago, but not on current form.

Can't dine out on those first four games of the season forever, need to improve our form fast or we'll be in a relegation battle in no time and with fixture congestion and a ridiculously hard end to the season.

That's strange. Hello?

58 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Very good start is a stretch, any team is capable of stringing a few results together at the start of a season. As things have started to settle down we have quickly been found out. You don't even have to look at other clubs for proof, it was literally us last season. The football was really good for 10 games but then we got he stuffing knocked out of us and basically clung on for the rest of the season. Lose to Newcastle and we are starting to look over our shoulders already. Amazing how such a promising start can be thrown away in 6 games.

To be fair, we weren't dominating games last season the way we are this year even when we were playing well.

Only eight points between us and bottom three as it stands.

Really could do with the bottom three of four clubs losing this weekend or those four defeats in five are going to starting catching up with us.

Because if Burnley win we get drawn closer to the relegation zone, and West Brom are at home to Palace tomorrow as well.  We don't want to go into the Wolves game being only seven points clear of relegation places, knowing if we lose it gives the others the chance to cut the gap between us and them to four or five points.

Teams in the top half of the table are always going to win games, if we want to better them we have to win our fare share of games too.

We've just lost four winnable games out of five, conceding eleven goals, and are away to Wolves next. Of course we want the bottom three or four teams to lose this weekend. Doesn't matter if Everton win, if we're good enough to finish above them then we will see to that by winning enough games of our own.

West Brom and Burnley have six points from ten games each. At that rate, they'll each finish the season with around 23 points.

I remain very confident we can get the three wins we'll need to stay up in our next twenty-nine games.

Of course at least one of the teams at the bottom will improve, but this season is extraordinary at that end of the table and I think the nine point gap we have at the moment is enormous for those sides.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

We've just lost four winnable games out of five, conceding eleven goals.

And yet, the season is such that if we were to continue with that really poor run of form, we'd win another five games and be safe. As bad as the last five results have been, just repeating them for the rest of the season would mostly likely keep us up - not improving, not getting the bit of luck we lacked against West Ham, just being bad and unlucky like we have been for the last five games for the entirety of the rest of the season would in all probability still not see us relegated.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

As it stands it less about worrying about actually being relegated, and more about worrying about being dragged into a position where it becomes to close for comfort.

Agreed, although I don't think that's likely in all honesty. I reckon we'll be comfortably between 9th and 15th and I think there'll be a gap to the relegation places.

• Like 1

The gap will likely be minimum 8 points over next few weeks even if we lose at Wolves. Even with their shock win at Leicester I can't see Fulham getting anything v Man. City or Liverpool.

If Burnley don't get a late winner v Everton they'll be 9 points off us and we have them at VP in 12 days time so obvious chance to get that difference back into double figures.

Sheffield United too far behind to be seriously in coversation, 14 points ahead of them.

West Brom do have a good chance of picking up some points in next two. If they get 4 points off Palace and Newcastle then those two will be looking over their shoulders a bit.

If you go by last season we only needed 20 more points to stay up and I think it will be a point or two less from what I've seen of the standard this season.

Edited by VillaChris

Agree on the 20 points, would put us on 35 which is the same as last season, 20 points from 29 games so that's 0.69 points per game

To overtake us Sheffield would need 1.25 ppg (currently at 0.1) Burnley 1.07 (currently 0.6) baggies the same

And then remove the unrealistic teams like city and arsenal maybe leeds you would also need the other teams Palace, Fulham, Brighton and Newcastle to be getting more points than us too

I really just don't see it, especially because baggies and Sheffield are **** awful, Fulham are not better than us, Burnley I think will recover 

We would have to fall off a cliff to get dragged in to that fight, not sure why people are thinking about it, I think based on this season us sneaking in to Europe is more realistic than relegation (neither will happen, we will finish about 12th)

Edit - we're currently on track for 63 points which would have put us 5th last season 

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Draw is fine. Keeps us two points off Everton with the poor form they're in.

Everton, have gone like us......too easy to play against.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Agree on the 20 points, would put us on 35 which is the same as last season, 20 points from 29 games so that's 0.69 points per game

To overtake us Sheffield would need 1.25 ppg (currently at 0.1) Burnley 1.07 (currently 0.6) baggies the same

And then remove the unrealistic teams like city and arsenal maybe leeds you would also need the other teams Palace, Fulham, Brighton and Newcastle to be getting more points than us too

I really just don't see it, especially because baggies and Sheffield are **** awful, Fulham are not better than us, Burnley I think will recover 

We would have to fall off a cliff to get dragged in to that fight, not sure why people are thinking about it, I think based on this season us sneaking in to Europe is more realistic than relegation (neither will happen, we will finish about 12th)

Edit - we're currently on track for 63 points which would have put us 5th last season 

12th is about right.....with a few tweaks in the right area, we could over achieve. it is within us to do it, but the right strengthening needs to take place.

1 hour ago, useless said:

We've just lost four winnable games out of five, conceding eleven goals, and are away to Wolves next. Of course we want the bottom three or four teams to lose this weekend. Doesn't matter if Everton win, if we're good enough to finish above them then we will see to that by winning enough games of our own.

That is the crux of the frustration.....all winnable games.

our achilles Heel should be fairly easy to spot, these teams seem to have spotted it.