Weekends Football 25/27 September

andykeenan

Looking at how Sheffield (and Newcastle) played last season and at the stats they got incredibly much out of very little. Hopefully this season they will not be as successful with that style.

They are 2 teams I hope we can finish ahead of because I think at least one of them will be in the relegation scrap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Second season syndrome for Sheffield United, do we think?

Yep it reminds me of Reading about a decade ago when they came up to prem with likes of Sidwell, Doyle and Shorey and had a really good first season but then lost the momentum in second season and went down on last day.

Sheffield really need to get a new striker in as Oli Burke and McGoldrick must've scored about 5 goals between them in last two seasons and Billy Sharp is a year older.

Feels a bit like they were disrespected last year and when teams eventually worked out a plan to combat their system they were so full of confidence it didn't matter. Now that confidence is gone and they look pretty ordinary. Arsenal away for them next.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yep it reminds me of Reading about a decade ago when they came up to prem with likes of Sidwell, Doyle and Shorey and had a really good first season but then lost the momentum in second season and went down on last day.

Remember Shorey and Sidwell playing for Villa. Both were shite.

Bonus points for Sidwell scoring the odd screamer though 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rino8 said:

Remember Shorey and Sidwell playing for Villa. Both were shite.

Bonus points for Sidwell scoring the odd screamer though 

We have had a list of shit full backs but Shorey was certainly at the top of the list. Unbelievable he won some England caps when England had Cole, Baines, Bridge and even Warnock at the time

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I thought they would struggle. Burnley too with their lack of investment. 

I don't know what they do with their £100m TV money every year? They don't spend it on the team, thats for sure. 

49 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Second season syndrome for Sheffield United, do we think?

Yes, I was just coming on to ask that. 

It's funny how far a winning streak can perpetuate as confidence rockets. It can take you a long way. 

Conversely when things aren't going well teams can find it hard to turn around. 

Last season was just like them surfing a wave of confidence. 

• Like 1

Â