Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I'm thinking that, we may be saving the actual cash ( Allowed spend ) we have for a " big " signing, and filling out other squad areas with frees to increase the overall quality of squad. Our bench the last few weeks - months has been telling.

• Like 2

If you are judging him based on the last time he was here..

• He started well and got injured. 
  • Our squad was very different (including sub appearances)
    1. Elmo played 14 games
    2. Trez 21
    3. El Ghazi 28
    4. Sanson 9
    5. Nakamba 13
    6. Traore 35
    7. Keinan Davis 15
    8. Wesley 3
    9. Matt Targett played all 38
  • Jack was the star; perhaps too much so
  • Ollie did well in his first season, but is a different player now
  • So is McGinn

Barkley wouldn't be a headline signing; he was a major signing 4 years ago.
He'll maybe start 10 or 15 games, often in the cup against weaker opposition so the first choice players don't get knackered. He will be a sub in a position we are light on players, and brings experience and a bit of size.

And we have Youri, who does struggle to string 90 minutes together regularly - I can see Youri and Barkley rotating like Moreno and Digne did last season. 

But the biggest difference this year to 4 years ago - our manager wants him and he is a footballing genius. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm thinking that, we may be saving the actual cash ( Allowed spend ) we have for a " big " signing, and filling out other squad areas with frees to increase the overall quality of squad. Our bench the last few weeks - months has been telling.

This level of intelligence and wisdom is neither accepted nor tolerated here!!

• Like 2

He was heads and shoulders the best player at Luton this season.

He’ll be useful as cover in our midfield.

We can’t have another season where we run Luiz into the ground to the point that fans start turning on him again. 

• Like 4

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Good passer, can drive forward and is a bit of a physical unit. 

He brings the average ability of the squad up as well. See him as a replacement for Sanson/Dendoncker. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Why? We need back up players

We do

I'm not convinced barkleys head will be in that role 

He's played well at Luton because of what he is at Luton, he won't be that here 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

We do

I'm not convinced barkleys head will be in that role 

He's played well at Luton because of what he is at Luton, he won't be that here 

Fair points. Hard to predict really. Emery seems to value mentality very highly so I think if he doesn't have an issue there then neither should we.

Could be a savvy pick up, kind of depends on where Barkley's head is at, but if Unai can see where he fits in and feels he can get the best out of him, then it's certainly worth the gamble.

I can imagine financially it's not going to be extravagant, would help to top up the homegrown quota, and if we can coax out of him the form he displayed this season for Luton then he could be a very useful addition. 

He's a talented player, experienced, and technically has it all. It's just, can he stay fit and is his head in the right place? Unai and his team have revitalised many careers, I see no reason why they could do the same with Ross.

The financial situation we are in means we are going to have to get creative, use the loan and free markets, and find value in some positions. We simply aren't in a position to chuck £30/40m at every problem.

One year deal would be sensible enough. He can't be on huge money, he's a good player and an all rounder and we're going to need them.

Anymore than a year and you are absolutely asking for trouble with this bloke. He turns like the wind.

He's the Mido of midfielders. You either get the fat one or the ripped one.

• Like 1

Â