Ross Barkley

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

If Unai wants him, that's good enough for me. 

It does indicate that we're operating with restrictions though. 

Who isn't............Man City perhaps?

Interesting signing (if it happens). Has had a really good year at Luton and started really well with Villa the last time.

If Unai wants him I’m on board! 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Who would he be cover for in the middle then - McGinn? 

Way I see it this signing means if we get an injury in midfield we won't have to drop Mcginn/Tielemans back, leaving them to excel further up the pitch. McGinn's form dropped off a cliff when Kamara go injured as he was forced to play deeper (where we know from the Gerrard days that he is ineffective).

Posted (edited)

I'm not saying he was great at all when at Villa previously, but I found some of the abuse he took to be a bit ridiculous. He underperformed when the whole team did - when Grealish was absent - but still had some big, match-winning moments for us. I thought he just looked like one of those players that had passed his physical peak early due to how young he broke through initially, so as much as the ability was still there he was fighting a losing battle athletically. 

He was great for Luton this season though and if that is just his level now as opposed to a flash in the pan at this point in his career then he could prove to be a pretty useful (home-grown) signing on a free.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

started well for us, then deteriorated. had a real chip on his shoulder it seemed and hated getting subbed even though he was clearly unfit and playing crap.

i imagine he knows that we've moved on considerably since his time with us and he knows that he's being brought in as basically a dendonker replacement, just to bulk the squad a bit

i also hope he's not a bad influence on mcginn, who slimmed down once his drinking buddy (grealish) left.

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

No I hate this. I want to spend £60 million for Connor Gallagher instead. 

Completely changed from the player we had here. Ran the Luton midfield with non-stop energy. We could easily double his wages from Luton and it would still be an amazing deal. 

Exactly.

And if we did buy Gallagher we'd probably have to sell someone like Douglas Luiz.

This way we likely get to keep Dougie, and bolster our midfield options.

• Like 2

'Modest fee' so what like £4-5m?

Barkley has shown that he does well when he plays consistently. Will he have that option at Villa? Who knows but I thing I do know it that if King Unai wants him, that's good enough for me. 

He was genuinely excellent for Luton whenever I watched them play, but not sure where he fits into our system, he doesn't suit playing in a two man midfield, he doens't suit the wide midfield roles that Ramsey and McGinn play

I could only really see a space for him if we switch to a three man midfield whilst he's on the pitch, or if he plays in the No.10 area, but we already have Buendia, and Rogers, for that, plus Tielemans who can play there, and Diaby who can play in that area as a second striker

I think would be a bit part player at best, but truth be told not a bad option based on the season he's just had

My only other slight concern would be, was he only as good as he was at Luton, because he excels at being the main the player, which he wouldn't be here of course

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I should give him the benefit of the doubt considering last time I saw him was under Gerrard and no one was good then. Think part of me just wants a younger guy like a Rogers signing who could be good while also giving you the potential to grow whereas Barkley is capped at what he will give you.

I’m in the same frame of mind but you only have to look at the squad of so called misfits Unai assembled at Villareal to reach the CL semis to understand that he see’s something in players that no one else does. I’d love a younger player too but maybe just maybe Unai can turn him into a super sub or at least a good 6 till Boubs comes back. Would anyone put it past him? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CroVillan said:

I’m in the same frame of mind but you only have to look at the squad of so called misfits Unai assembled at Villareal to reach the CL semis to understand that he see’s something in players that no one else does. I’d love a younger player too but maybe just maybe Unai can turn him into a super sub or at least a good 6 till Boubs comes back. Would anyone put it past him? 

I was just thinking, watch Unai squeeze an England call up out of him lol.

• Like 1

Could be a very smart signing. If he repeats this years form, we get an extra body in our injury hit midfield and he costs us very little. Surely he's happy taking a low salary again if he was on 30k at Luton.

Certainly an improvement on Chambers/Dendonker. He played very very well for Luton as a creative 6. He's great in tight spaces. Physical & his distribution has always been great. But we already have Luiz & Tielemans who do similar things. He's not good enough defensively yet to be a direct Kamara replacement but maybe Emery thinks he could be with his coaching. The fact he is more imposing & physical than Luiz, Tielemans & can play 6/8 and even 10 if needed makes him a useful & astute signing if it's true.  

• Like 1

Â