Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looking at the fixtures in the new year it’s really difficult to see where they will squeeze the 2 games in hand in. Especially if we progress in the FA Cup

The fact they still haven’t set a date for the city game is mad. Shows how ridiculous is was to pander to Man city and Utd to get there first league games delayed. No doubt they will both moan about fixture congestion when they do finally set a date. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t like the amount of games in the Europa but winning it is probably more likely than breaking the top 4.

It would be great for AVFC to be back in Europe. Hopefully the lockdown is over when Europa League starts and Villa fans can travel with the team . It will be a raucous and lively return to a proper football experience. You have to think all football fans will bring a real party atmosphere back to stadia. I'd like to think I could make a trip over from USA. We shall see! 

The pragmatist in me does worry about the grueling schedule. Add on two domestic cup runs, and we will be stretched thin. There was a reason MON surrendered in Moscow, as annoying as that was.

Edit: I'm aware of the fact that I'm putting the cart waay before the horse.

Edited by maqroll

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The pragmatist in me does worry about the grueling schedule. Add on two domestic cup runs, and we will be stretched thin. There was a reason MON surrendered in Moscow, as annoying as that was.

Love it that we’re getting worried about how to cope with a European campaign 😬😬😀😀

• Haha 1

Taking this report as a nice, fat reminder of our progress.

According to WhoScored, the best team in Europe’s top five leagues so far this season has been… Aston Villa.

No – not Bayern Munich, PSG, Barcelona or Liverpool, it’s Villa, who currently sit ninth in the Premier League.

WhoScored’s brainboxes crunch the numbers to produce average performance ratings for both players and teams as a collective, and in terms of average rating across all league games played so far this term, Aston Villa come up trumps.

New-Project-2020-12-22T085748.241.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mean, you see all of the above after nearly being relegated last season and it’s amazing anyone is complaining (I’m guilty of the odd whinge too but Jesus we are being spoiled this season. We need to cheer tf up as a fan base. Maybe good things can actually happen at Villa.)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, VillaChris said:

There's a week's gap between playing Man. United and Liverpool in the cup if Newcastle get knocked out by Brentford tomorrow so I can see that fixture being played in that midweek.

They did get knocked out but Newcastle play on 3rd Jan in the PL and us on the 8th in the FA cup, so there’s still no way of fitting it in then unless one of us agrees to less than two whole days off.

23 hours ago, VillaChris said:

No idea when Man. City game will take place.

This could next be squeezed in on Wednesday 20th January with the two days off by my reckoning, despite the FA Cup 4th round (if either team is still in it) starting on Saturday 23rd (if not Fri 22nd).

There’s no way of fitting in the Newcastle game then if they are still in it, but if we are both out then it’s easy. If we are still in then we could play Newcastle on Thurs 21st Jan, FA Cup 4th round TBC on Sun 24th and we’re in the PL vs Burnley is on Weds 27th.

Yes, I’m bored. Also there doesn’t have to be two whole days off between games, but we might not agree to those conditions this early on unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We carry on this form and we will have a 69 points, thats top 6 for the last 5/6 seasons I didn't go back any further. Even allowing for a dip in form later in the year we are looking like a top 10 side.

However DS sides tend to improve over the season - just saying!

• Like 1

Â