Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

20 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Can’t believe there’s now all this Man United title talk... err hello, are you forgetting how close Aston Villa are plus we beat the defending champions 7-2. 

I think this is a conversation the media needs to start thinking about.

No way, let’s stay under the radar. We’ll be ready when ManU crumbles under all this pressure 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Can’t believe there’s now all this Man United title talk... err hello, are you forgetting how close Aston Villa are plus we beat the defending champions 7-2. 

The Small Heathens have noticed, being obsessed with us as they are..

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

As brilliant as it was, if we are honest, when we beat Liverpool they were not in the gear they are now.

Man United have a DEEP squad, compared to ours.

Lets be realistic here.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As brilliant as it was, if we are honest, when we beat Liverpool they were not in the gear they are now.

Man United have a DEEP squad, compared to ours.

Lets be realistic here.

Yeah but they also have to cope with Europe

If we can get through the hectic Christmas period and still be within distance of top 6 we have a real chance

When we beat Liverpool they'd just won their first three games of the season, so it's not as if they were out of form, and even if you concede that they weren't as good then as they are now, we're the only team that was good enough to take advantage as we're the only team to have beaten them in the league this season. So whilst we won't finish anywhere near them in the league, can't take anything away from that result.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Not according to Lawro 🤣🤣

We have made great progress this season and I think most people would have readily taken an offer of being in this position before the season started.

I think the two games against Chelsea and Man Utd will be a true indicator of our current standing. We have had some greats results this season but i think I would exchange most of them for a victory over United.

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I guess a 0-0 draw today between Chelsea and West Ham suits us best...

I think what we are doing is a much more sustainable model than what West Ham are doing.

We are creating much more chances than them and they rely much more on individual brilliance.

Managed to find an xPTS table for this season, for all the anoraks out there...

Some interesting things to note about Villa:

• We are 4th on expected points, with 1/2 games in hand on those above us (i.e. we are statistically one of the best teams so far this season)
  • Our attack is 6th in the league based on xG, and our defence is 3rd behind Chelsea and Man City based on xGA.
  • We are 1.65 points under what the xPTS statistic shows we should have, indicating we should have picked up a couple more points already

And other interesting tidbits about some other clubs...

• West Brom are by a long way the worst team in the league on xPTS, even with only 7 points they have overperformed according to xPTS
  • Wolves, United, Leicester, Everton and Southampton are picking up way more points than they deserve for their performances
  • Sheffield Utd have been unlucky not to have picked up more points, but they're still one of the worst teams in the league.

I really do think that although xG and its related cousins aren't always helpful, they do cut out a lot of the uncertainty in football to see what teams really deserve. Overall the signs for Villa this season based on their start are extremely positive, currently on track for a top 4 finish and perhaps more with our games in hand. What an exciting time to be a Villa fan!

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 19.12.53.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looking at the fixtures in the new year it’s really difficult to see where they will squeeze the 2 games in hand in. Especially if we progress in the FA Cup

There's a week's gap between playing Man. United and Liverpool in the cup if Newcastle get knocked out by Brentford tomorrow so I can see that fixture being played in that midweek. If not probably have to wait until February and play it when european matches are on.

No idea when Man. City game will take place.

Â