Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

11 hours ago, kidlewis said:

How much room do we have then? I was thinking on the basis of we are in a position where we know we are staying up, do we bring forward any summer targets to January if the price is right? 

I'd assume we have some room if needed but not a lot... so if not desperately needed, Purslow wouldn't want to buy in January, but would be working on longer-term deals for the summer. 

45 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I'd assume we have some room if needed but not a lot... so if not desperately needed, Purslow wouldn't want to buy in January, but would be working on longer-term deals for the summer. 

I think that if there is a possibility that a player or two Dean Smith wants becomes obtainable in January, our owners will do everything possible to get it done. Everything. Especially given the way this season is panning out, where it genuinely looks like a title that is open to a host of clubs to go and win it. There’s been no outstanding team this season, it’s looking very reminiscent of the 2015-16 season. Imagine having the adrenaline shot of 1 or 2 good quality new players walking into the club in January! That’s why I think that if Villa are in with a sniff of top4 (which we will be) in January then we’ll find the money for the RIGHT player. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think that if there is a possibility that a player or two Dean Smith wants becomes obtainable in January, our owners will do everything possible to get it done. Everything. Especially given the way this season is panning out, where it genuinely looks like a title that is open to a host of clubs to go and win it. There’s been no outstanding team this season, it’s looking very reminiscent of the 2015-16 season. Imagine having the adrenaline shot of 1 or 2 good quality new players walking into the club in January! That’s why I think that if Villa are in with a sniff of top4 (which we will be) in January then we’ll find the money for the RIGHT player. 

How exciting all of this is, agree 100% with you 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

so what you're saying is that Villa are going to win the title! 

ITS HAPPENING (insert gif)

As I've said before just loan in a player or two and get it done permanently at a later date. Wolves loaned in Raul Jimenez for 18/19 and then signed him permanently the next summer and we've obviously done it with Barkley. It's also a way around FFP as you can dump the signing in the next year's accounts or whatever.

In normal circumstances I'd be o.k with just getting in another striker and leaving everything else until the summer but it's not a normal aseason and many of the top clubs look pretty vulnerable.

Can't help thinking back to the MON years aswell. We generally sat on our hands in the January windows while others around or below us strengthened and our results would always dip around March as we simply didn't or couldn't rotate much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ender4 said:

I think you’re right, my hope was that we sit 1-8 in the table when the window opens and they go for one or two solid signings which keep us in FFP but could drive us to EUROPA league this year. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Leicester are a bit like us....had chance to go top, lost and now lost 4 of their 7 home games.

Looking at the home and away tables, I don't think playing at home is an advantage at all this season. Only Liverpool have better home form than away really.

As fans start to be let back in this will change slightly though I'd imagine

• Like 1

Our wins at Arsenal and Leicester don't appear anything special given their respective home form. That and the fact Leicester had half their team out. Not a dig at the Villa, as you can only beat what's in front of you, but just an observation. 

Really need to win tonight to get us that much further away from the bottom 6 and put us back into the European mix, as this season is so unpredictable, it seems anyone can finish almost anywhere.  Can't afford 4 straight home losses if we are to bother the top half this season in my opinion.

7 points from the remaining 4 games of 2020 would see us top 8 with games had I suspect. That would be some achievement, and give us a fantastic platform to start the new year and head into the January window.

Then from there, who knows what we could achieve!?

Edited by One For The Road

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

As I've said before just loan in a player or two and get it done permanently at a later date. Wolves loaned in Raul Jimenez for 18/19 and then signed him permanently the next summer and we've obviously done it with Barkley. It's also a way around FFP as you can dump the signing in the next year's accounts or whatever.

In normal circumstances I'd be o.k with just getting in another striker and leaving everything else until the summer but it's not a normal aseason and many of the top clubs look pretty vulnerable.

Can't help thinking back to the MON years aswell. We generally sat on our hands in the January windows while others around or below us strengthened and our results would always dip around March as we simply didn't or couldn't rotate much.

Oh I remember when we badly needed a goal scoring forward to help cement our top 4 place back in 09, and then picked up Heskey. Nothing against him but he wasnt the right man at the time, and combined with a few other factors that led us to fall off the cliff that spring and it was a long long way down...

This januray hardly feels that consequential and I don't want us to make any big or impulsive move for the sake of it, but on the other hand it feels like we have a great opportunity to push on a create a great foundation for future success if we can continue our form throughout the season. We might need a couple of good squad supplements for that to happen.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

Oh I remember when we badly needed a goal scoring forward to help cement our top 4 place back in 09, and then picked up Heskey. Nothing against him but he wasnt the right man at the time, and combined with a few other factors that led us to fall off the cliff that spring and it was a long long way down...

This januray hardly feels that consequential and I don't want us to make any big or impulsive move for the sake of it, but on the other hand it feels like we have a great opportunity to push on a create a great foundation for future success if we can continue our form throughout the season. We might need a couple of good squad supplements for that to happen.

Nail on the head 👍

This season is very clearly presenting an opportunity, going into January. As things stand there are probably 7 or 8 clubs who are looking at the league table and thinking they’re in the mix for the title, let alone a top 4 place! If Villa can find a couple of wins in the next 4 then we’ll be heading into January as one of the realistic outliers in with a chance of top 4 or 5. Villa have the standout result of the season, beating the league champions 7-2. We have one of the leagues most talented players in Jack Grealish. We might not have looked so attractive in the summer, but that’s changed massively in a few short months. One shot, one opportunity, will you grasp it or just let it slip? As Eminem once said! I’ve calculated that we have owners who are the type of owners who want to grasp opportunities. I don’t see them being in with a chance of European football in January and so they go and get the manager an Emile Heskey from Wigan type signing, and think they’ve done enough! I really think we’re a lot more clever than that now. It’s all down to what happens on the pitch with results between now and January 1st. 

44 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

need to be getting 3pts tonight if we seriously have title aspirations. dropped 6 points recently vs shite teams...time to make a statement

I’m not concerned about making statements, I’d take a scrappy 1-0 win right now. Points on the board are all that  matter 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m not concerned about making statements, I’d take a scrappy 1-0 win right now. Points on the board are all that  matter 

Agree. Any win will do and given we have been patchy of late, back to back wins would be statement enough in itself. 

• Like 1

The bookies (only checked WH) have us 150/1 to win the league which is 9th favourite.  The usual suspects are ahead of us apart from Southampton taking Arsenals place (250/1) lolz.

It's only a little thing but it really is an amazing turnaround in such a small time-frame when you see stuff like that.  Only a few months ago we are odds on to go down and understandably so. 

The transition from newly promoted strugglers seeking stability to plucky but capable team having a go has been frighteningly quick and I suppose is a by-product of our size and stature as fallen giants.

If the next transition to genuine contenders is just as quick then next season this thread will be a lot busier than the current one.  Exciting times.

UTV 

• Like 1

Spurs losing 2-0 to Leicester. Everton bounding up into third place. Fascinating title race. With our games in hand it is *conceivable* that Villa stick their nose it as well if we go out and win more of these games while other teams slip up. One can dream...

• Like 1

On 18/12/2020 at 13:59, troon_villan said:

The bookies (only checked WH) have us 150/1 to win the league which is 9th favourite.  The usual suspects are ahead of us apart from Southampton taking Arsenals place (250/1) lolz.

It's only a little thing but it really is an amazing turnaround in such a small time-frame when you see stuff like that.  Only a few months ago we are odds on to go down and understandably so. 

The transition from newly promoted strugglers seeking stability to plucky but capable team having a go has been frighteningly quick and I suppose is a by-product of our size and stature as fallen giants.

If the next transition to genuine contenders is just as quick then next season this thread will be a lot busier than the current one.  Exciting times.

UTV 

Absolutely. For all of Lerner's promises and Xia's guarantees, these new owners have quietly, and without lofty promises, actually put in place an organization that is transforming before our eyes into something we've been desperate to see for decades. The good times seem to be just beginning. UTV!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Spurs losing 2-0 to Leicester. Everton bounding up into third place. Fascinating title race. With our games in hand it is *conceivable* that Villa stick their nose it as well if we go out and win more of these games while other teams slip up. One can dream...

There is no title race. With these recent results I can see Liverpool being 10 points clear by middle of January. Spurs were top a week ago and now they're 6 points off so you can see the way the wind is blowing. Chelsea also lost last two away games. As well as Man. United are doing bit optimistic to think OGS is going to mastermind a prolonged title assualt as they're simply not that good. Man. City might come in with charge but they're really flat this season.

Very fun below though. I doubt we'll finish top 6 but we can still be in the mix for that quite late into the season I reckon if we don't have a long winless run. Should certainly be looking at 7th-10th position and thinking we've got as much chance of finishing in those positions as West Ham, Southampton and Wolves have.

Edited by VillaChris

Â