Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't see the pace everyone were raving about before we signed him

"Everyone"..... the same "everyone"  who is now busy explaining the logic behind Brexit and why covid is bullshit after watching to many YouTube videos. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tinker said:

"Everyone"..... the same "everyone"  who is now busy explaining the logic behind Brexit and why covid is bullshit after watching to many YouTube videos. 

The hyperbole is strong with that one.

But then that’s the world we live in today and we’ve created for ourselves. Everything is black and white, all or nothing, with us or against us. 

In reality of course, it was probably two or three posters saying he was quick and one ‘raving’ about it. 

Idiots see something, just once, and it automatically means it’s a) true, and b) everyone must also be saying that one thing. Brexit is the perfect example of this in action. Super rich people telling us we’ll all be better off out of the EU even though our economy was surging whilst being a part of it. I hope the lads up north at Nissan have a plan B when they lose their jobs. Still, at least they’ll be rid of those unelected officials in Brussels while the repo men take their furniture. 

Back on to Traore. Yeh, he’s not that quick which goes against what someone said once. Let’s riot.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm really struggling to see how this guys best position is on the right hand side. His only asset seems to be when we are attacking and hes given somewhat of a free role to just bomb forward or pull off a bit of skill. 

Being in the right winger position requires some proper discipline to the role and i don't feel like he has it at all, nor are we good enough as a team to accommodate that. Also he has absolutely no right foot so no chance of a whipped in cross like Elmo could offer,

Edited by AVFCDAN

7 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

How did Lyon command such a fee for him. Wasnt playing regularly was he, seemed a big fee for someone out of favour. Need to see more of him, feels like he’s just being drip-fed minutes all the time. 

I don't think he is a winger buddy. Much too one footed.

I'd like to see him more in the Barkley role

50 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

How did Lyon command such a fee for him. Wasnt playing regularly was he, seemed a big fee for someone out of favour. Need to see more of him, feels like he’s just being drip-fed minutes all the time. 

he fell out with the manager thats why his fee was low, Klopp wanted him the previous summer but Liverpool wouldnt pay 40 million

• Like 3

I don't remember him and Jack swapping wings much against Wolves, maybe because we were playing in a more disciplined way.  Maybe in home games where we expect to be on the front foot we could make us of him more as an old-fashioned left winger, getting to the by-line and delivering crosses for Watkins.

27 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't remember him and Jack swapping wings much against Wolves, maybe because we were playing in a more disciplined way.  Maybe in home games where we expect to be on the front foot we could make us of him more as an old-fashioned left winger, getting to the by-line and delivering crosses for Watkins.

I don't think that's him at all. He is more a CAM than anything. It's impossible to judge him completely yet, but I just think he will be a rotational utility player for us. 

18 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't think that's him at all. He is more a CAM than anything. It's impossible to judge him completely yet, but I just think he will be a rotational utility player for us. 

Agreed. But I don't think he was brought in to be. 
We didn't spend 17m on a right sided forward when our worst player last season was our right sided forward, for him to then sit on the bench and become a utility player. 

I don't paticularly mind Bertrand personally, I actually think he's better than I thought he would be but I have no doubt we'll be shopping around for a right sided winger/forward again in January or the Summer. 

It was an odd signing. I'd have preferred to spend a little more money on Brooks or Buendia (they may not have even been available). 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed. But I don't think he was brought in to be. 
We didn't spend 17m on a right sided forward when our worst player last season was our right sided forward, for him to then sit on the bench and become a utility player. 

I don't paticularly mind Bertrand personally, I actually think he's better than I thought he would be but I have no doubt we'll be shopping around for a right sided winger/forward again in January or the Summer. 

It was an odd signing. I'd have preferred to spend a little more money on Brooks or Buendia (they may not have even been available). 

I don't think he is a right sided forward.

He has looked much better in the CAM role

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

I don't think he is a right sided forward.

He has looked much better in the CAM role

That might be the case but I absolutely do not think he was brought here to be our no. 10 (CAM). 
We don't play with a 10 and we brought in Barkley to play the advanced role in midfield. 

Can't see him starting many games in that position tbh. Not unless we're down to the bare bones. 

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That might be the case but I absolutely do not think he was brought here to be our no. 10 (CAM). 
We don't play with a 10 and we brought in Barkley to play the advanced role in midfield. 

Can't see him starting many games in that position tbh. Not unless we're down to the bare bones. 

He was a weird signing.

Our approach this season was basically quality over quantity. Signing players to go straight into the eleven.

That has been the case with all the signings except for this guy who has really looked out of depth at times. Also our strategy this window has looked like going away from the International marked and targeting players Smith knows well From England, the Championship mainly.

Surely possible to find a decent RWF in the Championship in the 17 M range. Was Sarr never an option or too expensive?

Edited by villalad21

From Grealish's recent interview it sounds like we had no idea Barkley was going to come until after the Fulham game, so maybe Traore was attractive to us as he could've played in that role should Barkley not fancied the move.

I have to be honest, have struggled to see what Klopp and Dean have seen in him to both be willing to spend such a large chunk on him, I know we generally counter attack down the left side via Jack but I thought we'd have seen more of a showcase of Traore's supposed pace by now?

Regardless he had very few minutes in the last season with Lyon in a year in which the league was called off by March anyway, he needs minutes in his legs more than anyone and so for that fact I'm more than happy to reserve judgement until end of season like we saw with Luiz and Konsa, I just hope that injuries don't force us to rely on him and some bad performances knock his confidence - his style of football with the flair seems like it needs confidence to work.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think we should judge how he is going to turn out yet he hasn’t had enough time on the pitch, he’s new and is probably getting his fitness back.

In other words he needs a run in the team of half a dozen games at this point.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not offering very much apart from set pieces.

If it wasn't for him being so one footed he would probably have scored on that one chance

Two chances now. Ridiculous to not just stick your foot through it. 

Â