Emiliano Martínez

hippo

54 minutes ago, smg said:

Don’t understand that attitude but everyone to their own.

I guess you’re not keen on our 1957 FA Cup Final win then? Although Peter McParlands challenge on the Man U goalie was fair but both players were hurt by  the accidental clash of heads but Woods was substituted whereas McParland stayed on to score both our goals and we won 2-1.  

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

Yep. Trying to VillaTalk while in work meetings. 

verbal warning.

I hope you are not a brain surgeon.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I guess you’re not keen on our 1957 FA Cup Final win then? Although Peter McParlands challenge on the Man U goalie was fair but both players were hurt by  the accidental clash of heads but Woods was substituted whereas McParland stayed on to score both our goals and we won 2-1.  

18 months before I was born but I have seen it a few times and while it was deemed ‘fair’ at the time it isn’t a great challenge and I wonder what the reaction of Villa fans would have been if it had been on Simms ?

On 17/12/2023 at 23:36, ender4 said:

Are there actually any better goalkeepers in the Premier League over the last 15 months?

And before someone says Ederson and Allison, they have better defences in front of them so do they have to make so many difficult saves every match as much as Martinez.

Alisson almost definitely does, in fairness to him. The amount of goals he's saved Liverpool over the past couple of seasons has been phenomenal and he's probably been the best on the planet in that time. Martinez is obviously brilliant in his own right though and it's fine margins.

14 hours ago, smg said:

18 months before I was born but I have seen it a few times and while it was deemed ‘fair’ at the time it isn’t a great challenge and I wonder what the reaction of Villa fans would have been if it had been on Simms ?

I’m sure we wouldn’t be happy but would probably complain as much about our lack of winning mentality as much as the challenge. Why do we always come out the wrong side of these situations?  being the relevant question. 
Perhaps with Unai that can change. There’s no doubt that he’s a decent and good man but to succeed he has to have a ruthless streak too. Just like Ron Saunders had, I’d no more bet against him than call into doubt his honesty either! Nice guys can win but weak guys rarely do and I think Emi Martinez was in some part trying to demonstrate that we won’t be bullied and that’s a very good thing. Ok I can see the value of his housery skills but perhaps he has to be careful that he doesn’t become a marked man for it, either by the opposition or by referees. I’m sure he and Unai are aware of this and will adjust accordingly. UTV!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Emi goes long the most often of the 3, but only slightly more often than ederson. He has as many touches per games as Alisson and more than ederson. He sweeps as often as Alisson and way more often than ederson. He stops crosses in a way those 2 don't, and his post shot xGA-G is higher than Both of them. 

Basically he's a better traditional keeper than them but is basically as good as them at what they do great. 

Emi’s greatest strength is his mind set and winning mentality. Which is why he is a World Cup winner and the best goalkeeper in the world. He can be a great asset to us in any ways if and when we start winning trophies as well as lots of games. When a striker has just the goalie to beat, it isn’t just any goalie, it’s Emi Marlinez the best goalie in the world. A huge psychological advantage in the same way that Peter Schmeichel had. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/12/2023 at 23:36, ender4 said:

Are there actually any better goalkeepers in the Premier League over the last 15 months?

And before someone says Ederson and Allison, they have better defences in front of them so do they have to make so many difficult saves every match as much as Martinez.

I think there's more of an argument that Ederson isn't in the top 10 than there is that he's better than Emi.

Anyone listen to Souness talking about world class players on Talkshite? I actually agree with what he was saying but interesting Emi's name wasn't mentioned. Can only assume he doesnt think he is or is simply fixated on traditional "big teams". I would consider Emi world class but its clearly a very subjective matter. Thing is he was instrumental in winning Copa America, world cup and now a huge part of Villa's resurgence plus officially world number 1 keeper. What do you have to do to get that recognition? 😆

5 minutes ago, birdman said:

Anyone listen to Souness talking about world class players on Talkshite? I actually agree with what he was saying but interesting Emi's name wasn't mentioned. Can only assume he doesnt think he is or is simply fixated on traditional "big teams". I would consider Emi world class but its clearly a very subjective matter. Thing is he was instrumental in winning Copa America, world cup and now a huge part of Villa's resurgence plus officially world number 1 keeper. What do you have to do to get that recognition? 😆

Play for Liverpool or Manchester.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, birdman said:

If the term "world class" doesn't apply to Emi, then it's a meaningless term as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, birdman said:

Anyone listen to Souness talking about world class players on Talkshite? I actually agree with what he was saying but interesting Emi's name wasn't mentioned. Can only assume he doesnt think he is or is simply fixated on traditional "big teams". I would consider Emi world class but it’s clearly a very subjective matter. Thing is he was instrumental in winning Copa America, world cup and now a huge part of Villa's resurgence plus officially world number 1 keeper. What do you have to do to get that recognition? 😆

Stopped right there mate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, birdman said:

Stick a red shirt on in his opinion I suppose. Sky blue would probably get you a sideways glance too. But shove it up ‘em all should be our attitude and used to spur us on for the rest of the season and longer. Fergie used this motivational tool for years even after they were winning stuff all over the place. Us against the world works just fine! Let them keep scoffing and dismissing us all they like. UTV!!!!! Emi will enjoy showing the world every trophy he lifts and anyway he wants!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Embarrasing helping Garnacho with his cramp, surely wouldn't have gone down well with the away fans at 3-2.

He's an amazing keeper, an seems a great guy, but sometimes, he's just a law into himself, I don't enjoy that side of him.

Disagree

If the ref doesn't stop the game he doesn't touch him, once he stops it you help him speed it up, don't wait for the physio 

• Like 2

Just now, villa4europe said:

Disagree

If the ref doesn't stop the game he doesn't touch him, once he stops it you help him speed it up, don't wait for the physio 

Time would have been added on, you don't need a opposition player helping the goal scorer with cramp.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Time would have been added on, you don't need a opposition player helping the goal scorer with cramp.

We were a goal down. What do you want him to do? Just let him time waste? He was helping him so we could **** get on with it and try and equalise.

It was nice for someone to show some urgency because nobody else on the team did

• Like 1

Â