Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I wouldn't know a YouTube influencer from a hole in the ground.

I don't give a shit who it is, the sentiment on the banner is the thing. 

He's a good lad who has a channel following villa away, showing the matchday experience - great for those of us who don't live in the UK and can't make it to games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's worth remembering that Arsenal have / will have with the obligation  to buy   , spent £60m replacing Martinez and still haven't got a keeper anywhere near as good 

oh well :D 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think he would have saved the Spurs goal if it wasn't deflected.

I agree. It was hit straight at him then the deflection took it away.

Can you imagine the Spurs meltdown if it was 2-0 not 2-1!? 🤣

23 hours ago, maqroll said:

if we make champs league he stays, right

I think if we make Europa League, maybe even Conference again depending on the circumstances, then he stays. We just need to progress to show him that his highest ambitions, of which he has now already achieved a lot of while at/thanks to Aston Villa, can be met here.

He's a settler - he waited for a chance at Arsenal for 10 years. He loves it here, he's got his family and a. house and South American mates to BBQ with.

But we're winning the league this season anyway so I wouldn't worry at all.

• Like 1

I think what doesn't get as much attention is that he did all that on Sunday with dodgy gloves. Three times he sadly and reluctantly had to slow down the pace of the game because the straps of those pesky gloves came loose and he had to re-fit them

It was so bad at one point that John McGinn had to help him out - while John himself was being substituted (with a few minutes to go and Villa in the lead). Incredible stuff 

• Haha 2

Unless Madrid or Barcelona come calling, I find it unlikely Emi moves.

Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but keepers aren't as keen to move as other position players. There's a certain comfortableness in their routine. 

Plus, Villa have never held him back from playing for Argentina or even resting so that he can go play for Argentina (to the detriment of our own domestic games), so that's a good relationship to have as we have seen that playing for the Argentina NT is probably his first love.

I absolutely love Martinez. Loves the club, is such a positive influence in the dressing room and on the pitch and is the best keeper we have ever had by a mile. Had the chance to go to a CL club but would rather win honours with us as it's a bigger challenge. Club legend! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

He's our best player, and that's not to demean anyone else.

If we'd cashed in and bought Onana to replace him we'd be mixing it up with mid-table scummers like the insufferable mufc brigade.

Their fans like to remind us that Martinez is not in fact the best keeper in the world and Onana is better. Hilarious really. Onana would be competition for Olsen, not Martinez. 

Emi at all times gives you total confidence at the back. Mistakes are always a suprise. One on ones , i have never ever felt safer than with him in goal

It feels like they have a more expensive Olsen in goal and i would shit myself every time i saw his name in a line up if i suported Manure. 

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Their fans like to remind us that Martinez is not in fact the best keeper in the world and Onana is better. Hilarious really. Onana would be competition for Olsen, not Martinez. 

That's because statistically onana is better at certain things like number of saves, percentage saves and he might even have more clean sheets 

As long as you don't look at the 10 odd goals he's thrown in so far he's alright 

If they actually watched football they'd know 

I feel kinda bad because he makes the amazing look routine. So when he pulls of something crazy I don't even understand how great of a save it was til the replay. He's amazing. 

Â