Emiliano Martínez

hippo

58 minutes ago, tinker said:

I'm not sure how Martinez playing out from the back has anything to do with any of the goals we conceded against Arsenal or Man city? He does it slowly to try and draw the opposition out,  which the entire point of it all, isn't it

The first pass and movement draws the opposition out...not slowing down it because the oppo will wait for the first movement before they react.  Just allows them to get organised better which again...is pointless.

There was one saturday from a cross maybe.... but Cash would have been away if he had just rolled it out...but he just waited for everyone to reset.

Speaking to arsenal fan...he say Emery got rid of him because he cant play his feet......maybe this and the fact emi knows he cant is the reason its so slow....confidence thing...either way....its boring and kills any counter or attacking play

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I'm not sure how Martinez playing out from the back has anything to do with any of the goals we conceded against Arsenal or Man city? He does it slowly to try and draw the opposition out,  which the entire point of it all, isn't it? 

We hand all imputus to the opposition and completely stop our own offensive play thereby handing control to our opponents instead of taking the game to them. 

This means you're more likely to concede a goal than score one. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, david-avfc said:

Martinez is a top keeper but needs to calm himself down on the pitch, it's not all about him. I worry that Neil Cutler was able to manage Emi's emotional side and that's been lost since the backroom staff changes were made.

I think this is possibly the reason his performances have dropped off.

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Madness to have turned on him so much for such lame reasons. 

I feel his price will and should be too high for anyone to realistically buy him. We went years having shit keepers and we finally get a good one, one voted one of the top two in the world and suddenly people turn against him for something innocuous. This is the madness. 

He was integral to six points against Leeds and Southampton, maybe the point against Wolves too. And other games of course. 

The backlash is embarrassing.

Not getting my point at all there. If he himself wants a move it's likely to happen, so you saying he's definitely going to stay is one hell of a claim.

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree it seems unlikely, but maybe they're planning to move one or both of those on? The other club Bardell mentioned which seems more logical to me is Spurs. 

Do they still have Josh Onomah to offer us in exchange?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bazmonkey said:

The first pass and movement draws the opposition out...not slowing down it because the oppo will wait for the first movement before they react.  Just allows them to get organised better which again...is pointless.

There was one saturday from a cross maybe.... but Cash would have been away if he had just rolled it out...but he just waited for everyone to reset.

Speaking to arsenal fan...he say Emery got rid of him because he cant play his feet......maybe this and the fact emi knows he cant is the reason its so slow....confidence thing...either way....its boring and kills any counter or attacking play

Martinez waits for the forward to close him down then passes the ball. 

Anyway his sweeping skills are more or less irrelevant when hes paid to dominate the area and stop teams scoring, he's arguably the best keeper we have ever had ( certainly in the last 20 years) and the best player we currently have, he's the least of our worries. 

Listening to Arsenal fans give their opinion.....I have read enough of them to last lifetime and most of it is pure shite.

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

I actually think Martinez has been decent with his feet in recent games - he plays on the edge with opposition pressing, drawing a forward in then playing the ball to either centre back who spread wide (hi Kenneth) when he has the ball.  This is (presumably) exactly how Emery wants us to build up from the back.  Where Martinez has been worse - and I think it was noticeable against Arsenal - was 'chipping' a ball further forward to a wing back; those were pretty wayward.  His short game and calmness on the ball seem decent to me, though.

It's interesting how people have read comments by Emery as being about Martinez' distribution as well, whereas I think he was actually more disappointed with, say, Mings who often looked to play the ball longer into the channel when under pressure.  This type of long ball is a gamble and will result in a turnover in possession more often than not.  Somewhat ironically, it's actually what fans like to see when a defender is under pressure but it's clear that Emery wants us to take risks in retaining possession and building an attack.

58 minutes ago, tinker said:

Martinez waits for the forward to close him down then passes the ball. 

Anyway his sweeping skills are more or less irrelevant when hes paid to dominate the area and stop teams scoring, he's arguably the best keeper we have ever had ( certainly in the last 20 years) and the best player we currently have, he's the least of our worries. 

Listening to Arsenal fans give their opinion.....I have read enough of them to last lifetime and most of it is pure shite.

Kamara is our best player, comfortably.

2 hours ago, Mister_a said:

I think this is possibly the reason his performances have dropped off.

How have they dropped off? Before the last three games, where I can honestly blame him only for the corner goal, and when we played the two best teams back to back, he won us games making worldies...and people were saying he was back to form. 

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Not getting my point at all there. If he himself wants a move it's likely to happen, so you saying he's definitely going to stay is one hell of a claim.

Relax. It's the kind of language people use when talking about footballers. I feel my point is getting lost. I don't think many clubs will be willing to pay the asking price. 

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Relax. It's the kind of language people use when talking about footballers. I feel my point is getting lost. I don't think many clubs will be willing to pay the asking price. 

In the words of Noho Hank:

"I am relaxed, I'm super relaxed guy"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Martinez and Cash aren't suddenly bad players. They are very good players but not suited to how Emery wants the team to play and what he wants from players in those positions. If Martinez can't demonstrate he can be good with ball at his feet and playing from the back then he should probably move and we replace him with a player who is able to do that to level Emery requires. 

Emi is a brilliant shot stopper and a very good GK. It's his weakness which becomes exacerbated if it's a fundamental key part of what is required for a GK in this team

Emi is not a brilliant shot stopper unless  I've been watching an alternate version of him the last few years.  Quite the opposite, I'd say there have been loads of "could and should have done better" goals he's conceded from shots.  He's made the odd amazing save, like against Leeds this year, but his big strength is claiming crosses - one of the best I've seen at Villa for that.  That's not enough to make him elite or anywhere near it, and he has other weaknesses like poor distribution.  I do like him in a way even though his antics get on my wick, but he's far from irreplaceable and I wouldn't be overly bothered if he was sold as long as we got a good replacement or two.   

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2023 at 11:58, Tomaszk said:

Plenty of fans are gobbling it up as well.

We won't get a fair market price for him if he does leave. No one with the money will bother.

Man Utd perhaps. But I'd be appalled if we didn't take them to the cleaners. Daftest club in the transfer market going.

Good evening sir. 

May I present:

undefined

• Haha 3

Emi is in a predicament. He will not leave here just to play group stages of the Champs League. He will want a big team. Spurs need a keeper but i just think we would never negotiate with Levy . Manure need a keeper but again they need someone better with their feet. Chelsea will not get euro football this season. So England is ruled out  

Then its Italian teams who do not have mega money anymore .  Then its Spain who do not need him other than possibly Athletico .if they sell Oblak. 

Bayern Munich ? Possibly . 

Alot less choice for him than maybe at first thought. 

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I can see Spurs going for him if they get top 4. Logical in that they'll have champs lge, need to replace lloris and it will wind up the arse fans.

No way is Levy bidding what we will want though

Spurs could be buyers if Conte remains, I have a feeling he’d focus on signing a shot stopper rather than a fancy ball player. Not likely Conte stays though..

Â