Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Just now, gwi1890 said:

Instantly put him self under pressure with the comments of a move away wether the comments were taken out of context or not it’s better just to keep quiet. Villa fans would instantly defend him and forgive mistakes based on his past form but the moment  you start talking about a potential move away you lose that connection and it absolutely typical for him to have been out of form since the story broke.

He didn't talk about a move away, he said he wants to win things and thinks he's at a level where he can play Champions League football.

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

But if the manager says don't do it then the player should listen instead of just doing what they want.

It's a respect thing.

Its one of those cases where I think both are wrong in their own way. Martinez was wrong for not listening to the manager. But Unai was wrong for telling Martinez to stay. Like, the final goal was scored in the 8th minute of stoppage time when only 6 were scheduled, I don't know how Unai could've thought there was still a bit of time left.

Unai made a dig at him in his post match interview as well. 

"I'm not happy with how we are scoring one goal quickly and then sitting back, hoping the 90 minutes pass as fast as possible and we are not playing the match the way we are preparing - being confident across 90 minutes". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Its one of those cases where I think both are wrong in their own way. Martinez was wrong for not listening to the manager. But Unai was wrong for telling Martinez to stay. Like, the final goal was scored in the 8th minute of stoppage time when only 6 were scheduled, I don't know how Unai could've thought there was still a bit of time left.

They scored a goal during the 6 minutes so it’s right that the ref add a couple of extra mins where we might get one back. Obviously it ended up going against us though 🙄

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

He didn't talk about a move away, he said he wants to win things and thinks he's at a level where he can play Champions League football.

Like I said wether those comments were taken out of context or not. It was have been better to keep quiet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I pretty much guarantee that any keeper we try to buy is going to be a step down.

We’d have no chance of signing Martinez if he wasn’t already here. We just got super lucky that we pulled him out of Arsenal’s reserves at the time we did. 

I think there are a couple of ways to look at really. In terms of shot stopping then I agree absolutely, we aren’t going to get an upgrade. But I can’t help think that we could get an improvement in terms of a keeper that will suit our style. 

Emery wants to play out from the back and I lost count of the amount of times Emi kicked the ball straight out of play today with one directly resulting in their first goal. We also saw the suicide passes that lead to goals against Leicester and Brighton, so we might get a slight downgrade in terms of shot stopping but a big improvement in other areas. 

Add to this his current market value. I keep seeing posts regarding the summer claiming we need a new RB, a new CB, a new midfielder, winger etc. We probably need to supplement that with sales and Emi could bring in big money. 

I honestly think we Will actively look to sell him in the summer. 

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

He's been time wasting for ages when we need to slow the game down and win. When it works we all laugh about it, this time it didn't and now people are in here blaming him? 

His kicking wasn't good but Arsenal press high, there isn't many options.

Yellow cards for a keeper? Who cares. He went up for a corner because its the last minute and we need to score, it makes no difference if we concede right after as the game is done.

I think it does make a difference and, from his interview, it makes a difference to Unai. Worth listening to it. 4-2 feels like a thrashing compared to 3-2. Also small matter of goal difference.

Martinez needs to shut up and concentrate on his game which is not where it needs to be. If that had been Olsen out there today then we'd be all over him. I don't care about goal #4 but his kicking was poor and his time-wasting sends out all the wrong signals when there's still 30-40 minutes to play ...... we are at home and he/we should have been more positive.

Not sure his head is where it needs to be at the moment !

• Like 1

I don't really care about random interviews give as long as they're playing well but he had me feeling like tearing my hair out today. Was as culpable as anyone for the team being more uncomfortable in possession than they should have been and inviting pressure on. Every time he got it an Arsenal throw in felt inevitable.

• Like 1

There is a fine line between time wasting and game management. Emi is crossing that line too much right now. He was doing it the entire second half, inviting Arsenal to get their shape, get a breather and come right back at us. 

• Like 1

Might be a good keeper, but why does he feel the need to time waste all the time, its bad mentality? Can we not win the game unless he wastes time. He ain't as good as he thinks if he feels the need to pick up cards by wasting time nearly every game.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Might be a good keeper, but why does he feel the need to time waste all the time, its bad mentality? Can we not win the game unless he wastes time. He ain't as good as he thinks if he feels the need to pick up cards by wasting time nearly every game.

He must have been the only one that felt like we were clinging on. Don't get it at all.

And yeah he's a good keeper, nothing more.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

There is a fine line between time wasting and game management. Emi is crossing that line too much right now. He was doing it the entire second half, inviting Arsenal to get their shape, get a breather and come right back at us. 

Yes think this is fair. Had we held on for a draw it would be easy to look back and say Emi done his bit but its not the way we should be playing most of the time. I don't remember one occasion today where Emi initiated a quick turnover of the ball to try and create an attack. In the past he has been good at this especially with his long throw outs for example. Perhaps today he was nervy of the scoreline and his ex club wave after wave of attack - and as a result simply over egged the pudding with time wasting. Sure Unai will have words to iron it out.

Edited by birdman
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Whats that his 4th yellow now for timewasting. It cant help the players as it sends out the wrong message doing the lets hold on to what we have routine. Kicking was poor again today too. He hasnt had the best of times against his former employers since fans have been back in grounds. 

I think the fullbacks need to do better when he is trying to pick them out. They both are 3/4 yards too far in field imo. They need to be on the byline if they were today they most likely keep possession. 

Â