Emiliano Martínez

hippo

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He’s not saying that though, Mbappe tarnished an entire footballing continent at the expense of Europe which wouldn’t have the success and power it does without players from South America. You’d think being around Argentinian and Brazilian players at PSG and Monaco he’d understand. 

He said the football in SA isn't as advanced as Europe, that's why SA teams haven't won the World Cup in ages.  But as most Brazil/Argentina squad play in Europe it shouldn't matter how advanced football is in SA, as they all benefit from the same footballing environment as the European players.

The only teams in SA that have a realistic chance of winning a WC are Brazil and Argentina, and they just haven't been that good the past couple decades. 

22 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Here’s what Mbappe said before the final:

"Argentina haven't played games of great quality to reach the World Cup. In South America football isn't as advanced as Europe. That's why if you look at the last World Cups it's always the Europeans that win," 

Emi was very gracious in his reply: 

“He doesn’t know enough about football. He never played in South America. When you don’t have this experience, it may be better not to talk about it. But it doesn’t matter. We are a great team, recognised as such”

The banter is just fine. 

If he said the same thing about African football i bet there would be alot more made of mbappes comments and rightly so.

To me it felt like he was belittling south american football

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He said the football in SA isn't as advanced as Europe, that's why SA teams haven't won the World Cup in ages.  But as most Brazil/Argentina squad play in Europe it shouldn't matter how advanced football is in SA, as they all benefit from the same footballing environment as the European players.

The only teams in SA that have a realistic chance of winning a WC are Brazil and Argentina, and they just haven't been that good the past couple decades. 

Pretty daft thing to say really. As you say they haven’t won it in recent history because it’s just 2 teams good enough from a whole continent.  These two teams are capable of winning World Cups pretty much every tournament. Mbappe making out France have won several. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think pricks a bit harsh. He’s just a very emotional person and clearly gets carried away. He’s probably off his head too.  It’s no excuse but I wouldn’t be surprised if once everything has calmed down and he does an interview he will apologise for some of his antics .

He has nothing to apologise for and I don’t think him or Argentinian fans or any reasonable fan think he does.  It’s a sport, it’s banter, the winner gets to gloat and antics are just part of sport…

As Argentina have just proven though you don't give your opponent too much motivation to use against you and if you're going to poke bears you probably shouldn't do it to one of the most potent players in the world.

Still, it's not like Villa are going to be playing against Mbappe at any stage soon so I am guess that's a moot point for us.

Would be interesting to see what Kamara or Digne think of it though.

I dont see the problem with any of it to be honest.

Sport at the highest level make any small advantage you can get count.

And as for the celebrations, go for it it's all enjoying themselves they deserve to it's a laugh its entertainment 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He has nothing to apologise for and I don’t think him or Argentinian fans or any reasonable fan think he does.  It’s a sport, it’s banter, the winner gets to gloat and antics are just part of sport…

Fair enough. I’m just talking about from what I’ve seen of Martinez over the years he seems a good guy. He might just say sorry if he offended anyone. Just my opinion. 

I mean I don’t care either way. End of the day all I care about is him performing for Villa. I hope he is fully focused on us for rest of the season once celebrations are over. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

MBappe is just trying to gain a psychological advantage and Emi is countering it. You’re right it’s just banter. 

What I find amazing and unbelievably sad is that our only World Cup winner in our long and wonderful history is being called a pr1ck and basically being abused. I understand this from fans of other clubs it’s the nature of the beast, but from an apparent Villa fan on our own forum is truly unbelievable and probably highlights the ridiculous negativity and lack of self belief that seems to often be an underlying theme in here. 

Well done Emi World Champion and natural winner. Enjoy every minute and bring that winning mentality back here soon. 

Oh I agree. He’s clearly just having fun with it. People are losing their minds over it. But if this was Pickford and Grealish they’d be celebrated and lionised. 

Emi understands how to win at all costs and makes no apologies for that.  I don’t blame him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phily85 said:

I dont see the problem with any of it to be honest.

Sport at the highest level make any small advantage you can get count.

And as for the celebrations, go for it it's all enjoying themselves they deserve to it's a laugh its entertainment 

It’s a bit kick a man while his down though isn’t it?  Kick a kid almost! Easy to forget Mbappe only 23. 

Anyway who cares. Get your ass home Emi!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

39 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Here’s what Mbappe said before the final:

"Argentina haven't played games of great quality to reach the World Cup. In South America football isn't as advanced as Europe. That's why if you look at the last World Cups it's always the Europeans that win," 

Emi was very gracious in his reply: 

“He doesn’t know enough about football. He never played in South America. When you don’t have this experience, it may be better not to talk about it. But it doesn’t matter. We are a great team, recognised as such”

The banter is just fine. 

This was also said a few months ago by Mbappe so its not a one time comment either

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s a bit kick a man while his down though isn’t it?  Kick a kid almost! Easy to forget Mbappe only 23. 

Anyway who cares. Get your ass home Emi!

Mbappe is also an elite level athlete who gives as good as he gets it's all part of it.

• Like 4

What strikes me as incredibly futile and ridiculous about all the backlash is that it's directed at an individual who clearly couldn't give a single flying duck about what anyone else has to say.

Part of why he's stirred up "controversy" is his absolute disrespect and disregard for what anybody else thinks.I

It's energy best spent elsewhere.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, est1874 said:

What strikes me as incredibly futile and ridiculous about all the backlash is that it's directed at an individual who clearly couldn't give a single flying duck about what anyone else has to say.

Part of why he's stirred up "controversy" is his absolute disrespect and disregard for what anybody else thinks.I

It's energy best spent elsewhere.

I still think he made a lot more admirers that critics. Everyone I have spoken too (non Villa fans) think he’s brilliant. Also a bit jealous we have him. 

You know the saying. Haters gonna hate!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

17 minutes ago, chappy said:

Some bizarre posts on here in the last few pages. He was thrown that doll by someone in the crowd, he didn’t stay up on the plane home from Qatar making it himself! Really want to see him back for the Liverpool game but if we don’t, we don’t. Don’t hold it against our best player who has just achieved something a Villa player hasn’t ever done before.

I really wish he had of done so 

• Haha 2

Â