Emiliano Martínez

hippo

On 05/09/2022 at 11:42, weedman said:

I've been thinking of the captaincy. Mings has improved I think without it, McGinn has shriveled with it, but Emi seemed to absolutely thrive with the armband yesterday. He was back to his best, winding up the crowd, making good saves, and just making the whole defence assured in those last few minutes. 

I think he should be taking the captaincy full time, his personality just seems ready made to be captain and he's at his best when he's fired up and given responsibility. He's a natural leader in this team

I agree. He is a captain without the armband. I love how he gees the crowd up too, was doing it during the Everton game! He's a really big personality.

• 2 weeks later...

Becoming a big problem. Plays like we are 3-0 up at every goal kick, pass back or claim.

Roll  the ball out.

See those players to the front and side of you wanting the ball? Kick it to them.

See when teams overcoming and we have overloads on both flanks. Take advantage.

Everything comes from the back and it's no wonder we are so turgid at times 

Painful.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

only on the bench versus Honduras today, Rulli was in goal.

Any idea why our boy is being benched?, the other 10 players looked like "first 11" players, so unsure why Martinez is warming the bench?

The Gerrard curse. Lets hope they were just taking a look at Rulli with back up in mind. 

• Like 1

Basically, everyone who was doing well to make it into their national teams have regressed so much they've largely been dumped. 

Watkins, Mings, Cash, Coutinho, Luiz, Digne, Kamara, Buendia...and now Martinez. 

You can chuck Archer in as well.

Shows how poor we've been. 

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Any idea why our boy is being benched?, the other 10 players looked like "first 11" players, so unsure why Martinez is warming the bench?

Maybe some niggle? Considering how Emi has become a national hero in his country, I doubt he would be dropped that easily.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Because that's how it should be, martinez is nailed on as starter so playing him vs Honduras 2 months before the WC teaches the manager nothing

If the competition for 2nd choice is open then these games are the time to look 

Surprised messi played but then the game was also in miami at hard Rock stadium so maybe it was a money spinning thing, the subs looked experimental and there was lots of them, Di Maria didn't play, 3 players made their debut 

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

Basically, everyone who was doing well to make it into their national teams have regressed so much they've largely been dumped. 

Watkins, Mings, Cash, Coutinho, Luiz, Digne, Kamara, Buendia...and now Martinez. 

You can chuck Archer in as well.

Shows how poor we've been. 

To nitpick a bit… Martinez is on the Argentina roster currently, Kamara and Digne did get picked but had to drop out due to injury and Mings continues to get screwed over by Southgate 

38 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Mings continues to get screwed over by Southgate 

Got screwed over in the summer admittedly but once stripped of captaincy and dropped for the first game, he was never getting back into the England squad. I think that will have been the worst part of it for Mings. 

To be fair to Gerrard though while I think it was an awful decision I also think Gerrard can only think about Villa to an extent whatever the knock on effect.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Got screwed over in the summer admittedly but once stripped of captaincy and dropped for the first game, he was never getting back into the England squad. I think that will have been the worst part of it for Mings. 

To be fair to Gerrard though while I think it was an awful decision I also think Gerrard can only think about Villa to an extent whatever the knock on effect.

If Maguire still gets a game for England we'll anybody can with his form.

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

but once stripped of captaincy and dropped for the first game, he was never getting back into the England squad.

Shouldn't affect it, unfortunately Boregate places too much importance on status.

Regarding Martinez, hopefully they are just having a look at Rulli.

Edited by Tom13

16 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

To nitpick a bit… Martinez is on the Argentina roster currently, Kamara and Digne did get picked but had to drop out due to injury and Mings continues to get screwed over by Southgate 

What's wrong with exaggerating a bit 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Links to Atletico Madrid starting to pop up again now that January is approaching and Oblak only having 9 months left on his contract.

That's why it was so great to get that extension done. Don't think Atletico can afford him to be honest.

Decent chance we'll have a world cup winning goalkeeper in January as well.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

That's why it was so great to get that extension done. Don't think Atletico can afford him to be honest.

Decent chance we'll have a world cup winning goalkeeper in January as well.

As long as that contract hasn't got an out for CL clubs or some such.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sne said:

As long as that contract hasn't got an out for CL clubs or some such.

Don't mind if it's £100m.

Pickford out of contract in the summer. Hope Purslow doesn't think he's found a good idea again.

Oblak leaving on a free might mean there's a merry go round but I still don't think there's a great market out there for keepers, who at the top table needs one? Juve? You can say man utd but they'd need to shift de gea and no one is picking him up with those wages, maybe spurs but it's not a huge competitive market for him so Oblak won't get mega money out there 

atletico would then need to replace a top 5 keeper which would easily be north of £50m, they would be better off paying Oblak the money and he would be better off taking it 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Oblak leaving on a free might mean there's a merry go round but I still don't think there's a great market out there for keepers, who at the top table needs one? Juve? You can say man utd but they'd need to shift de gea and no one is picking him up with those wages, maybe spurs but it's not a huge competitive market for him so Oblak won't get mega money out there 

atletico would then need to replace a top 5 keeper which would easily be north of £50m, they would be better off paying Oblak the money and he would be better off taking it 

Plenty seem to be happy just being backups, Navas went from being Madrid's starting keeper one season to just being backup at PSG now and seemingly content with his lot.

Aerola perhaps not in that bracket but he rotated between Real Madrid and PSG for a bit aswell. Reina years back went from being Liverpool number one to warming Bayern Munich's bench for one season.

If Emi has a storming world cup they'll be interest in him especially if we're just stuck in bottom half still.

Handanovic must be not far off 40 now at Inter Milan so that's a regular CL club that might look at hime although perhaps they'll be in for Oblak.

Â