Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Butland has nose-dived big time at Stoke, a level below where we are. He has a lot of talent but it's not just about talent. The fact he could not be relied upon adequately in the Championship suggests that we shouldn't be looking at him for the long term if we want to be pushing for Europe/CL eventually. It's a big red flag. 

Butland is also terrible at commanding his 18 yard box, that's another reason I want Martinez as he's one of the few up and coming keepers that is really good at it and coming through packed defences to claim a cross.

Bit like when we had Given who while past his best could always make a few wonder saves throughout the season but we conceded plenty due to him leaving it to the defenders to deal with crosses. Guzan in his first two seasons as number one was far more dominant at that.

• Like 1

Super keeper, since project restart he has been without doubt the best keeper in the premier league

If we can pull this off I'll be amazed.

He doesnt just save stuff, he tries to hold onto what he can, so quick off his line when he needs to be as well. I love how he angles his saves to get the ball away from the danger area too (something Friedel used to struggle with), so sharp in his thinking.

Genuinely think he will be the best goalkeeper we've had since... well for decades, if we can get him.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Butland has nose-dived big time at Stoke, a level below where we are. He has a lot of talent but it's not just about talent. The fact he could not be relied upon adequately in the Championship suggests that we shouldn't be looking at him for the long term if we want to be pushing for Europe/CL eventually. It's a big red flag. 

Oh yea I agree it’s off a cliff for him at Stoke I just don’t think he has done a joe hart or Paul Robinson and relatively it’s a small fee for someone who’s probably going to be a number 2 to push for the first team

24 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I'm baulking at the majority of fees being spent at the moment tbh, I'll only have an issue with the fees if we fail FFP or if we decide not to sign a winger or a good first team player because we've overspent on other targets. I don't think the current setup will make that mistake though. If the fee they're asking for is too much and we don't think we can do a deal that works for the club, we'll have already moved on to alternatives. 

That’s what I fear most spending so much on these players we have either signed or have now properly bid for we won’t have enough for the wide forwards and a centre back, preferably a central midfielder too. For me a goal keeper would be my 8th priority

Heard a few say this would be an amazing signing, not having a go but genuinely curious as to why?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about him other than being Arsenal's back up GK and he's Argentinian...i think?

17 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Heard a few say this would be an amazing signing, not having a go but genuinely curious as to why?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about him other than being Arsenal's back up GK and he's Argentinian...i think?

What I've seen is best GK after restart and Arsenal fans going mad on Twitter many saying he should be their #1

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Christ almighty I see Arsenal will only let him leave if they can get an replacement and top of the list is our keeper Raya 👹if this hapens and you sign Benrahma you will be responsible for decimating our team 👹

And absolutely filling your pockets with gold. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Christ almighty I see Arsenal will only let him leave if they can get an replacement and top of the list is our keeper Raya 👹if this hapens and you sign Benrahma you will be responsible for decimating our team 👹

We'll also be responsible for making paying your bills for the next 20 years

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am hesitant about this, he is 28 and has played less than 75 league games and we are planning to throw 20 million at him. Arsenal is also not known for having solid keepers and he has just played 15 games for them

10 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Because there have been other decent keepers there like Leno, Cech, Ospina, Fabianski and Szczesny. When he's finally been given a chance himself he's grabbed it with both hands but Arsenal invested in Leno so are probably going to keep going with him. 

None of them were solid for Arsenal, I think Arsenal got better when Leno got injured but thats more to how shit Leno is. Cech was past it and Ospina never really looked comfortable in England

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Butland is also terrible at commanding his 18 yard box, that's another reason I want Martinez as he's one of the few up and coming keepers that is really good at it and coming through packed defences to claim a cross.

Bit like when we had Given who while past his best could always make a few wonder saves throughout the season but we conceded plenty due to him leaving it to the defenders to deal with crosses. Guzan in his first two seasons as number one was far more dominant at that.

I've had a real dislike for Butland since staying at Birmingham Hilton few years ago. Think Stoke were playing WBA or someone the next day.

All the Stoke players were milling around mixing with each other. However I swear the previous evening and the next morning Butland never left the side of the manager (rowett) and his coaches.

He was sat at their table then followed them to sit on same sofa. It was painfully obvious they didn't even really want him there and the other players were taking the piss

Just came across as a total teacher's pet who didn't have any kind of relationship with his teamates

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am hesitant about this, he is 28 and has played less than 75 league games and we are planning to throw 20 million at him. Arsenal is also not known for having solid keepers and he has just played 15 games for them

Isn't that exactly why we need to sign him. Get him in and Arsenal won't be having a solid keeper anymore. Balance in the universe and all that. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Goalkeeping is as much about mentality than technique. Butland, Hart, Lloris and now De Gea is going that way after a few mistakes they just dont look the same keeper. 

Nyland and Prickford on the other hand have great mentalities, pity they are absolute garbage

Â