Emiliano Martínez

hippo

12 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I liked his attitude in the cup final. His emotion and want to succeed. I just genuinely don’t know Much about him other than his period this season. Prior to his spell this season, appears very much in the background. Maybe just never given the chance. Seems a good shot stopper. What’s his aerial ability and distribution like? Will he be involved with Argentina?

I only saw him in the games after lockdown and he really stood out and was a massive factor in Arsenal getting some of the results they did (eg vs Wolves, Chelsea, Liverpool).

He seems to have a great presence, confidence, assurance & is unphased (a world away from the likes of Nyland). 

He is at a good age & should have his best years ahead of him. Certainly appears to have all the necessary ingredients for a top PL keeper (good shot stopping, command of his area, catches the ball well etc.).

I, for one, would finally rest easy that we have a reliable GK for many seasons. It’s been such a problem position for us for far too long.

As mentioned, Arsenal fans do not want him to leave and many would like him to be first choice (Arteta has chosen Leno as undisputed no. 1, he’s been injured).

Edited by Jas10

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

wait, so we are improving on the offer made by arsenal? 

I thought two days ago, a February interview proved FFP meant we couldn't offer competitive wages to players?

As I thought, it was nonsense. 

He's probably one of the lowest paid players at Arsenal, I would guess at 20-30k. We can surely stretch to 50k to tempt him (I assume Heaton is close to that figure given his status over last few years).

Main thing I took from Purslow comments is we're a good 2-3 years away from paying players 100k a week so probably in the short term that's a good thing for us as we've seen under previous managers the wage bill can quickly get out of control.

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If he’s so good why has he been back up at arsenal for so long?

Because there have been other decent keepers there like Leno, Cech, Ospina, Fabianski and Szczesny. When he's finally been given a chance himself he's grabbed it with both hands but Arsenal invested in Leno so are probably going to keep going with him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I only saw him in the games after lockdown and he really stood out and was a massive factor in Arsenal getting some of the results they did (eg vs Wolves, Chelsea, Liverpool).

He seems to have a great presence, confidence, assurance & is unphased (a world away from the likes of Nyland). 

He is at a good age & should have his best years ahead of him. Certainly appears to have all the necessary ingredients for a top PL keeper (good shot stopping, command of his area, catches the ball well etc.).

I, for one, would finally rest easy that we have a reliable GK for many seasons. It’s been such a problem position for us for far too long.

As mentioned, Arsenal fans do not want him to leave and many would like him to be first choice (Arteta has chosen Leno as undisputed no. 1, he’s been injured).

I didn’t see much of Arsenal post lockdown. Sounds good to me. If we have him, Ollie Watkins and King in by the end of the week. Would be nice. I thought the position was sorted with Heaton but alas the injury.

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

Because there have been other decent keepers there like Leno, Cech, Ospina, Fabianski and Szczesny. When he's finally been given a chance himself he's grabbed it with both hands but Arsenal invested in Leno so are probably going to keep going with him. 

He's also been on loan about 7-8 times over last decade so not like he's been content to stay as 2nd or 3rd choice and just play league cup like say a Stuart Taylor (and even then it was Guzan).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I wonder if he will be better than the last keeper we signed from Arsenal? 😆

Stuart Taylor from about 6 months after joining us was just content to sit on the bench and not really attempt to become number one. When we signed Guzan he went to number 3 keeper for 08/09 but didn't go out on loan, just stuck around and played the odd reserve game.

After leaving us he joined Man. City. Unsurprisingly 0 appeareances in 3 seasons then 4 games in two years at Reading and 0 games in two years at Southampton.

He's not the only keeper to do this of course, Richard Wright was also at Man. City for years without every playing but what got me is he gave an interview bleating about not playing more games recently and not wanting to drop down into championship because he believed he was a premier league quality keeper. If he was he'd have played far more when competiting with Sorensen:

Stuart Taylor cherishes those few moments before the game starts. Almost two decades since his professional debut, the sense of occasion still strikes him as special: the vibrant green of the field, the sight of the stadium starting to fill, the sound gathering, the anticipation mounting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/sports/soccer/premier-league-goalkeeper-stuart-taylor.html

19 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If he’s so good why has he been back up at arsenal for so long?

Basically, he got pretty unlucky (like a lot of backup keepers, I suppose). Martinez signed in 2012 but, at that time, they had Szczęsny and then they brought in Cech in 2015. Leno signed in 2018 for £22.5 million, and so he naturally became first keeper when Cech got injured and later retired in 2019.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

Obligatory YouTube. A lot of these are from the end of the season too so it's not as if he's just been hiding behind a solid Arsenal defence, he's been busy. I know YouTube vids don't show the whole story but in actual full games he's looked really impressive, consistently, not just a spree of good saves followed by brain farts like Nyland. Some of the handling from low drilled shots is elite. 

The distribution at 5:45, imagine that with a fast winger. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Ok but we have a good keeper in Tom Heaton and a decent back up in Jed Steer.

Genuinely I am confused as to why he costs so much when he is basically a nobody who got some games post lock down, I am just really pessimistic on that basis alone.

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Genuinely I am confused as to why he costs so much when he is basically a nobody who got some games post lock down, I am just really pessimistic on that basis alone.

If you think he costs so much you'll be genuinely confused about PL prices for a long time

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well Heaton is still working his way back from an injury that has unfortunately finished many careers. I like Steer but we need to be looking at the position being filled by someone long-term who can do it at the level we want to be at (Europe, higher end of the table), not just an adequate stand-in. Steer's stand in appearences have been at a lower level, although, I do think he's a good keeper. 

Martinez will fetch a good price because he's shown, given a run of games at the highest level that he's more than capable and helped turn around the fortunes of Arsenal l, along with helping them bring in silverware.

If Leno didn't get injured then his price would be lower but at the same time maybe he wouldn't have been noticed so blatantly. The guy has served his time as back up and wants 1st team football. 

I get where you are coming from but at the same time, he's demonstrated what he can do, he's at a great age and Arsenal can afford to keep him if clubs are offering peanuts for him. 

Danny Ward went to Leicester for £12m playing less top flight football than Martinez. 

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If you think he costs so much you'll be genuinely confused about PL prices for a long time

Not at all I would be happy to pay that sort of price for a goal keeper (not this window) but I would have thought we could get a keeper with a bit more history for want of a better description for that price.

4 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Well Heaton is still working his way back from an injury that has unfortunately finished many careers. I like Steer but we need to be looking at the position being filled by someone long-term who can do it at the level we want to be at (Europe, higher end of the table), not just an adequate stand-in. Steer's stand in appearences have been at a lower level, although, I do think he's a good keeper. 

Martinez will fetch a good price because he's shown, given a run of games at the highest level that he's more than capable and helped turn around the fortunes of Arsenal l, along with helping them bring in silverware.

If Leno didn't get injured then his price would be lower but at the same time maybe he wouldn't have been noticed so blatantly. The guy has served his time as back up and wants 1st team football. 

I get where you are coming from but at the same time, he's demonstrated what he can do, he's at a great age and Arsenal can afford to keep him if clubs are offering peanuts for him. 

Danny Ward went to Leicester for £12m playing less top flight football than Martinez. 

This window has scrambled my head a bit I think, I can't wait until the football starts so I can clear it all up.

Also if I were to be spending some significant money on a keeper, as in a proper long term head and shoulders above anyone else keeper.... First I think I would do it in a summer after a good finish in the league so I could attract someone people like Onana might be obtainable if he still hadn't moved and we finished in the top half in a year or two.

If i were really worried about Heaton I would take the risk on Butland for 5-7 million, after all they were keen on him a year ago.

Edited by paul514
Wanted to add to it

Fabianski was backup at Arsenal for a long long time and he turned out to be a solid goalkeeper for Swansea and West Ham, I don't think being 2nd choice is necessarily a bad thing. Heaton was 2nd choice to Pope at Burnley otherwise we wouldn't have signed him 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Fabianski was backup at Arsenal for a long long time and he turned out to be a solid goalkeeper for Swansea and West Ham, I don't think being 2nd choice is necessarily a bad thing. Heaton was 2nd choice to Pope at Burnley otherwise we wouldn't have signed him 

its a combination of fee and being a back up for me that's all, I'm not anti buying him on the basis he plays second fiddle that would be like turning down the Man Utd number two.

Butland has nose-dived big time at Stoke, a level below where we are. He has a lot of talent but it's not just about talent. The fact he could not be relied upon adequately in the Championship suggests that we shouldn't be looking at him for the long term if we want to be pushing for Europe/CL eventually. It's a big red flag. 

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

its a combination of fee and being a back up for me that's all, I'm not anti buying him on the basis he plays second fiddle that would be like turning down the Man Utd number two.

I'm baulking at the majority of fees being spent at the moment tbh, I'll only have an issue with the fees if we fail FFP or if we decide not to sign a winger or a good first team player because we've overspent on other targets. I don't think the current setup will make that mistake though. If the fee they're asking for is too much and we don't think we can do a deal that works for the club, we'll have already moved on to alternatives. 

Â