The AVFC FFP thread

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

The Premier League will be delighted that one of the truly big clubs is back in the fold. They will not risk losing us, only to end up with another Bournemouth, Brighton or Burnley, no offence intended to those clubs. 

I know no offence is intended, and I know Brighton used to be a small time club, Brighton are not that small time club anymore and they have a beautiful stadium, much better then other clubs that failed to get mentioned like Palace, Watford, Southampton. 

• Like 2

Owners have categorically stated we won't fall foul. We have all seen the various workings made behind the scenes reflected in tit bits seen from companies house since Eden's and sawaris took over.

We will be fine. Had we not gone up it would have been a struggle. May have required similar tactics to derby by selling VP. But thankfully we went up 

Anyway there is strong precedent. Even if we fail, as Leicester did when they came up, they were made to lay a paltry fine. Can't move the goalposts now 

FFP is so vague and unenforceable at the best of times, so with such clear precedent there is zero chance of a points deduction. And are we bollocks under a soft embargo

2 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Owners have categorically stated we won't fall foul. We have all seen the various workings made behind the scenes reflected in tit bits seen from companies house since Eden's and sawaris took over.

We will be fine. Had we not gone up it would have been a struggle. May have required similar tactics to derby by selling VP. But thankfully we went up 

Anyway there is strong precedent. Even if we fail, as Leicester did when they came up, they were made to lay a paltry fine. Can't move the goalposts now 

FFP is so vague and unenforceable at the best of times, so with such clear precedent there is zero chance of a points deduction. And are we bollocks under a soft embargo

The rules are different now to when Leicester did that, agree aside from that.

How is the boro chairman so sure we have breached spending rules ?  - most of players have been loans - we paid fees for Mcginn and Kalnic - and our income has been boosted by me buying a villa cap - and villa dog collar  (for my dog!!) 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

How is the boro chairman so sure we have breached spending rules ?  - most of players have been loans - we paid fees for Mcginn and Kalnic - and our income has been boosted by me buying a villa cap - and villa dog collar  (for my dog!!) 

This is all because Boro thought they would get 2 players on loan and have the parent club pay the wages only for us and Derby to go in and take them onboard and pay a percentage of their salaries. Gibson is trying to make out he's a crusader for the smaller club but in actuality is being a bitter sore loser.

It's no surprise that we're the two clubs he is bleating about and demanding action against. Do one Steve, you tried to get loans on the cheap and it backfired pal.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

He isn’t that’s why he is taking action against Derby and not us.

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He isn’t that’s why he is taking action against Derby and not us.

I really don't see how we didn't breach ffp as we signed players with no one leaving for big money and we were skint! (not disputing what your saying but we must ahvw found a way to bend the rules somehow) 

I'd be amazed if we haven't breached the rules somewhere along the lines, just purely because our wage bill has been through the roof for so long, I know our net transfer spend the last couple of seasons hasn't been so bad, but we've wasted a lot of money since we came down. 

We must of found a way around it, everything coming out of the club for a good while has been saying we are compliant so I'm not overly concerned.

Also, the unclean were deducted 9 points for a few reasons, they ignored the EFL and signed a player when they shouldn't, they were warned that they were in risk of not complying and went out and spent more anyway. They showed a complete disregard for the rules. That's why they were hit so hard.

We've been a bit smarter about it and been working with the League, lowering the wage bill and showing willing, even if we didn't hit the targets.

There's no way we are going to be deducted 9 points.

I honestly think the new owners sat down with the football league and it was agreed that because the league’s less than comprehensive conducting of the fit and proper test of the previous owner ultimately resulted in the league founders nearly going out of business in less than two years, that a little bit of leeway was granted for the new guys.

The club couldn’t go crazy, but they were given a bit more freedom because of the recklessness that had been allowed to happen.

I’m sure people will disagree with that, but it would explain it. Other clubs would no doubt be pissed off, but I get the sense that the rules around FFP are in a kind of state of flux. The authorities are trying to get their heads around the issues of it still.

• Like 1

Purslow said merchandise sales were up 70% compared to last season and Villa Park had some of the best attendance figures in a long long time this year.  Couple this with the stadium restructuring, and I'm confident that we'll be compliant with whatever FFP test that needs to be passed.

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I'd be amazed if we haven't breached the rules somewhere along the lines, just purely because our wage bill has been through the roof for so long, I know our net transfer spend the last couple of seasons hasn't been so bad, but we've wasted a lot of money since we came down. 

We must of found a way around it, everything coming out of the club for a good while has been saying we are compliant so I'm not overly concerned.

All well run clubs do.

FFP rules are there to be avoided, bent and broken if you want to be a successful club. 

Its a farce but one that hopefully will be done away with in a few years.

I wouldn't be surprised if the papers just for which key words and phrases are trending online and just make up a story to benefit from click bait advertising money. I'm sure the words Aston-villa and Derby are trending so it's no surprise this garbage is written. Scum! 

If they really wanted to level the playing field with FFP:

• Player/squad salary caps need to be implemented - This would make it so someone like Man City can't have 35 players on over 100k/week wages
  • Restrictions on the amount of loans a team can have - I think this is a new Premier League policy next season.  Something like Premier League teams can only have a maximum of 8 loans at a time.  This prevents teams from buying up stables of promising youth players, and farming them all out (Chelsea had 43 players on loan last season - Seriously, I'm not making that number up.  43 players on loan).
  • Spread the league sponsorship/TV money around more evenly between all the teams, vs giving more to the top teams - This would allow mid-table teams to be more competitive and give some of the poorer clubs in the relegation zone a bit more of a chance for survival.

Let's be honest, everyone knows that FFP is designed to handcuff teams from ever pulling a Man City again more than trying to protect clubs from going bankrupt.  If their goal was protecting clubs from overextending themselves financially, there would be more rules about balancing the books vs restricting spending.

Edited by KMitch
Engrish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I honestly think the new owners sat down with the football league and it was agreed that because the league’s less than comprehensive conducting of the fit and proper test of the previous owner ultimately resulted in the league founders nearly going out of business in less than two years, that a little bit of leeway was granted for the new guys.

The club couldn’t go crazy, but they were given a bit more freedom because of the recklessness that had been allowed to happen.

I’m sure people will disagree with that, but it would explain it. Other clubs would no doubt be pissed off, but I get the sense that the rules around FFP are in a kind of state of flux. The authorities are trying to get their heads around the issues of it still.

What I heard or read somewhere - is that you can breach the losses target - show long as you show a plan to bring your finances under control - ours could have been that if we didn't go up we sell grealish for £30m ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

If they really wanted to level the playing field with FFP:

• Player/squad salary caps need to be implemented - This would make it so someone like Man City can't have 35 players on over 100k/week wages
  • Restrictions on the amount of loans a team can have - I think this is a new Premier League policy next season.  Something like Premier League teams can only have a maximum of 8 loans at a time.  This prevents teams from buying up stables of promising youth players, and farming them all out (Chelsea had 43 players on loan last season - Seriously, I'm not making that number up.  43 players on loan).
  • Spread the league sponsorship/TV money around more evenly between all the teams, vs giving more to the top teams - This would allow mid-table teams to be more competitive and give some of the poorer clubs in the relegation zone a bit more of a chance for survival.

Let's be honest, everyone knows that FFP is designed to handcuff teams from ever pulling a Man City again more than trying to protect clubs from going bankrupt.  If their goal was protecting clubs from overextending themselves financially, there would be more rules about balancing the books vs restricting spending.

A salary cap was needed a long time ago and if implemented properly there would be no need for this bollocks that is FfP. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

A salary cap was needed a long time ago and if implemented properly there would be no need for this bollocks that is FfP. 

Can't be done. 

Globally its not feasible. 

The PL would just lose all the top players somewhere else in the world and then there would be a riot. 

• Like 1

English Football in particular is unusual. It has been and continues to be a booming market with very limited resources (the best players) which are required for success in it.

Surely no surprise that the price of those resources has gone through the roof.

Its a fools errand to try and stop it with these artificial rules. If governments want to regulate a market then they should. Pass a law and enforce it. Job done. FFP rules were invented by amateurs in crafting real legislation and it shows. Bring in the pros if you want them. That means governments, thats what they are good at.

But we shouldnt, because football doesnt need that.

Instead of inventing various artificial rules to suppress the ability of athletes and coaches to be rewarded for their skills, Clubs would be better served increasing revenues. For example,  Online streaming and replay rights are horribly under exploited. 

Championship clubs were collectively extremely peed off with the deal the EFL signed for the latest TV rights. There were meetings at Villa Park amongst other places. It all seems to have died down, which would suggest possibly that the clubs have been placated in some way. I would imagine that clubs like us will have argued that the EFL have signed a rubbish deal that they were barely consulted on and so any breach of ffp rules, is in part the fault of the EFL for not getting the clubs the value they deserve. 

I’d also be reasonably confident that some extremely expensive lawyers have been consulted and that they have had a “chat over coffee” with the EFL about the consequences of any attempt to impose any draconian punishment against Aston Villa FC. These will not be the same legal minds that SHA got from Lawyers R Us. 

Â