Sergio Romero

ender4

20 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Don't see the point in this at 33, would of rather got someone we could develop under Heaton to eventually take over as no.1. Oh well, hope he does well in his 3 games (assuming Heaton comes back okay) 

I know where you’re coming from.  But Villa Park is a horrible place for a goalkeeper to “develop”.  I remember John Gregory saying how Michael Oakes couldn’t handle the Holte.  I think we’ve had our fill of goalkeepers who struggle to catch when they feel nervous!

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

He's a backup. £7m is nothing in 2020, even for a keeper.

And he's good enough to challenge Heaton for a starting point. 

Even if it's short term, I don't really see the negative. He is an absolutely gigantic improvement on Nyland. That's the comparison.

He is a gigantic improvement on Nyland, agreed. Where people don't understand my opinion is that, yes the players we are signing are better than at least the squad players that we have. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting clear improvement on the starting XI. You're not a bad person for believing there's a lot better options out there. 

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wasnt he dropped more down to making a film with Dwight? 

No that was later. He originally came to England for Man U and played about 1 game before the work permit application fell through. Big Ron then came in and he moved to Villa. He then went back to Man U on a free and was first choice for a season after Schmeichel had left. I think Fergie then realised that he was not the most professional of footballers and moved him on to Chelsea which ended quite badly. But for a few years he was one of the best keepers in the league.

12 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

He is a gigantic improvement on Nyland, agreed. Where people don't understand my opinion is that, yes the players we are signing are better than at least the squad players that we have. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting clear improvement on the starting XI. You're not a bad person for believing there's a lot better options out there. 

But we have other priorities in improving the first XI. Tom Heaton with Romero as backup is absolutely brilliant for a club in our position. To improve our first XI by buying a better goalkeeper might cost a LOT more. Or there might not be better options available. 

We're getting a very good Number 2 goalkeeper for a relative snip in a position we already have a very good first choice in.

It's like complaining that we're spending £10m on a very good player who plays Jack's position when we've already got Jack there because we're not improving the first XI. We don't need to in that position.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

The idea of the metric is if the best we can do in 6 years is a 39 year old Romero, then somethings gone wrong. Whether that's relegation fodder or Championship. We're not going to be challenging Europe with him, although that's just my opinion

Not a club on the planet's making plans for the goalkeeper they may/may not have in 6 years time though, it's simply not a realistic or useful yardstick.  The only questions should be would he be good enough for right now, would he address our immediate need?  He might be, he might not.  But for the mooted price-tag, I'd happily see someone with years of experience on the fringes of a team far higher up the proverbial ladder over and above all of our current options for pushing/covering Heaton.  Moreso with the reported disappointment of the Utd fans at losing who they see as a reliable back-up and seemingly have little bad to say about.

Even if you want to bring longevity into the equation, we're talking about a position where the potential age/performance drop-off is so high that I'd wager you'd see little difference between a 36/37 year old Romero as you would a 33 year old Romero.  

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 2

Maybe we could be inventive with the deal

like a loan with triggers for us to make it mandatory.

skewed in our favour for the situation where Heaton does actually fully recover. Man I could recall mid season (they might fancy this if they get an injury to #1 or 2)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Maybe we could be inventive with the deal

like a loan with triggers for us to make it mandatory.

skewed in our favour for the situation where Heaton does actually fully recover. Man I could recall mid season (they might fancy this if they get an injury to #1 or 2)

Why?

When we can get him permanently for a low fee and have a proper backup to Heaton

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Even if you want to bring longevity into the equation, we're talking about a position where the potential age/performance drop-off is so high that I'd wager you'd see little difference between a 36/37 year old Romero as you would a 33 year old Romero.  

And some keepers improve in their 30's, especially if he's now playing every game rather than the odd cup and international game.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But we have other priorities in improving the first XI. Tom Heaton with Romero as backup is absolutely brilliant for a club in our position. To improve our first XI by buying a better goalkeeper might cost a LOT more. Or there might not be better options available. 

We're getting a very good Number 2 goalkeeper for a relative snip in a position we already have a very good first choice in.

It's like complaining that we're spending £10m on a very good player who plays Jack's position when we've already got Jack there because we're not improving the first XI. We don't need to in that position.

Okay Romero is a good back up to Heaton, agreed. Maybe a very good backup.

£8mill is not a snip or even a good price for a 33 year old back up GK with 9 months left on his contract, we are overpaying. You'll probably struggle (I may be wrong) to find a team that's spent more than that on a Backup GK in the prem in the last few years. 

£8mill on a backup GK is not a sign we are focused on other areas at all. Comparatively it's a lot of money for a back up GK, if we were focused on other areas, we'd get a loan or let Steer start the season. In simple terms, Watkins + Romero = Edouard for example (it's obviously not that simple but you get my point).

And it's not like complaining we're spending £10mill on a very good player who plays Jack's position, it's like complaining we're spending £80mill on a very good player who plays Jack's position, except we can't just move the other player to another position, so one has to go on the bench. 

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Have to admit I’m struggling to understand why anybody wouldn’t be happy with this Romero deal. Unless they think he is a crap goalkeeper. 

I don't think I've ever seen him play, possibly for Argentina in WC or something. 

For that reason I'm struggling to feel anything other than happiness at the thought of hopefully never seeing Nyland play for us again. 

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Have to admit I’m struggling to understand why anybody wouldn’t be happy with this Romero deal. Unless they think he is a crap goalkeeper. 

The thing is as a fan, you don't have to be happy about every signing, that on the surface, would improve our squad. You don't have to be happy with signing Jota, Lansbury, Nakamba, Samatta, Hause, Hogan, McCormack, Tshibola, Bree, Nyland. Just because they appear to be "better than what we've got", does not mean you have to be happy with them.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Will Nyland or Steer stay on? I presume we will try to give Kalinic away for free for any takers.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Nyland and Kalinic leave in this window.

16 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

£8mill is not a snip or even a good price for a 33 year old back up GK with 9 months left on his contract, we are overpaying. You'll probably struggle (I may be wrong) to find a team that's spent more than that on a Backup GK in the prem in the last few years. 

I don't think he's strictly coming in as a backup though, presumably he would be initially covering those first however many games that Heaton is out for but if he acquits himself, than it's his spot to lose when Heaton returns and we've got ourselves in the enviable position of having two decent options for one position.  Perhaps also with one eye on Heaton's injury, if it persists or worst case scenario he's not able to fully recover from it, we won't have to scramble for a very short-term fix as we did with Reina.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I don't think he's strictly coming in as a backup though, presumably he would be initially covering those first however many games that Heaton is out for but if he acquits himself, than it's his spot to lose when Heaton returns and we've got ourselves in the enviable position of having two decent options for one position.  Perhaps also with one eye on Heaton's injury, if it persists or worst case scenario he's not able to fully recover from it, we won't have to scramble for a very short-term fix as we did with Reina.

Very true, and I hope he comes in and can be as good as he has been for United because he's not a bad GK. Maybe I just really rate Heaton, but I think Heaton will be no.1 next season, which is why I don't like the idea of spending first choice GK money on a potential backup. Personally, I wanted Reina back so be steady until Heaton was back. And focus the rest of the funds on 3-4 quality players (ST, RW,LW, CM). Looks like we'll be similar to last year and spread the costs across improving the squad. We will have a better squad than last season, and I guess it's less of a risk than massively improving the starting XI, but potentially being left short with a few injuries. 

35 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Okay Romero is a good back up to Heaton, agreed. Maybe a very good backup.

£8mill on a backup GK is not a sign we are focused on other areas at all. Comparatively it's a lot of money for a back up GK, if we were focused on other areas, we'd get a loan or let Steer start the season. In simple terms, Watkins + Romero = Edouard for example (it's obviously not that simple but you get my point).

And it's not like complaining we're spending £10mill on a very good player who plays Jack's position, it's like complaining we're spending £80mill on a very good player who plays Jack's position, except we can't just move the other player to another position, so one has to go on the bench. 

It's all relative to a degree though isn’t it.. We could always wait 9 months until he is on a free but if Heaton does not come back quickly or perform well straight away then we may be a championship team by then. 

From what I saw of him he is a solid keeper that appears to be available at a good price, we definitely need someone like him so why not him, the length left on his contract probably does mirror the reason he is only being touted at £8m...

• Like 1