Sergio Romero

ender4

7 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

We'll have failed massively if we sign a goalkeeper that secures a first choice spot for 6 years?  This seems like an odd metric.

I thought that as well. Imagine being worried about the problem of having a goalkeeper we're happy with as first choice for 6 years, when for the last God-knows how long we've been trying to buy a new goalkeeper roughly every six months.

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Must really want an Argentinian goalie this window. Linked to 3 now. 

Exactly what I was thinking 😆

Had my heart set on Martinez tbh, would be such a great and long term signing.

No major objection to Romero but I don’t think Gazzaniga is very good (that one concerns me).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh I think it was Pires

I don’t think so. He wasn’t there in 98 or 06.

I’ve been looking through the most recent finals and there’s no one there from what I can see. Have we ever had one?😳 

Edited by sparrow1988

19 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

It just doesn’t feel right this one. I think we are in for a gk but I think it’s somebody else. I still think that there’s a chance Butland will end up here (pure speculation on my part).

Butland is an odd one. Rumour is he is available for £8 million (was£20+ last summer). Hard to tell if just demotivated or he is doing a full on Joe Hart?

He was always a better keeper than Hart, I wouldn't be unhappy at taking a punt. We have excellent GK coaches who could bring him on then you've got a potential top keeper for 10+ years

On 04/09/2020 at 17:51, AvonVillain said:

Personally, I think Nyland is a fine keeper. He started the League Cup Final on merit. Any mistakes in that position more often are punished. With a proper run in a less nervy side I think he would prosper.

Nyland definitely has incredible potential. His shot stopping is some of the best I've ever seen. I mean that quite literally.

But he isn't the most commanding aerially, kicking poor. But you could forgive that if he just got rid of the regular absolute brain farts, he would be excellent.

But my god they aren't just brain farts are they? He full on shits the bed and drags his arse along the carpet like that new lab puppy you are trying to house train.

Sometimes no matter how much you want it to happen, the pup had to go back to the pound!

Edited by ramshackler
  • Haha 2

This seems to have gone from nearly done, to him signing for Chelsea, and then to nothing. 

Do we think everything was agreed and he’s holding out to see if Chelsea sign Edouard Mendy from Rennes ? Maybe now we feel like the jilted girlfriend and are looking elsewhere.

Of all the keepers we’ve been linked to, I think Romero is the best we can hope for, would love to see him in Goal next week.

3 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Nyland definitely has incredible potential. His shot stopping is some of the best I've ever seen. I mean that quite literally.

But he isn't the most commanding aerially, kicking poor. But you could forgive that if he just got rid of the regular absolute brain farts, he would be excellent.

But my god they aren't just brain farts are they? He full on shits the bed and drags his arse along the carpet like that new lab puppy you are trying to house train.

Sometimes no matter how much you want it to happen, the pup had to go back to the pound!

So basically.

If nyland stopped being a steaming pile of cow dung.

Nyland wouldnt be a steaming pile of cow dung.

More news at 10.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

So basically.

If nyland stopped being a steaming pile of cow dung.

Nyland wouldnt be a steaming pile of cow dung.

More news at 10.

Quite literally my point. Sorry not literally. I used a metaphor about taking him (the puppy) back to the pound! Maybe that's where the confusion arose!

In my experience during 30 years of football, keepers that are very good on the line, reaction saves and reflexes, often fail in the commanding your box aspects or avoiding clangers. 

Not sure why that is. Even DDG falls into that pool of keepers and he's arguably one of the best in the world. 

Nyland has always been better than the first impression people got of him, but he really needs to move on methinks. Not quite good enough for this level and commanding your box is quite important in England. His confidence is probably already a bit shot. A move to Germany with a sell on percentage would be good. 

Personally I prefer Steer any day of the week and that's coming from a Norwegian. 

my only ever bit of insider knowledge; we did try and sign Etheridge from Cardiff last summer but were quoted stupid money

If hes up for grabs cheap it wouldnt surprise me at all if we go for him

10 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

In my experience during 30 years of football, keepers that are very good on the line, reaction saves and reflexes, often fail in the commanding your box aspects or avoiding clangers. 

Not sure why that is. Even DDG falls into that pool of keepers and he's arguably one of the best in the world. 

Nyland has always been better than the first impression people got of him, but he really needs to move on methinks. Not quite good enough for this level and commanding your box is quite important in England. His confidence is probably already a bit shot. A move to Germany with a sell on percentage would be good. 

Personally I prefer Steer any day of the week and that's coming from a Norwegian. 

Think it could be because they have great reflexes and athleticism so are great at making saves but aren't very good 'goalkeepers' if you know what I mean. They are reactionary rather than proactive in planning for situations. Then when they age they start making even more clangers as the reflexes go (maybe what's happening with de gea?) 

On 06/09/2020 at 08:15, ramshackler said:

Even aside from the regular brainfarts you mentioned he just doesn't convince, as far as I'm concerned. 

The cup games against Leicester look like an anomaly when you view the rest of his time with us. I was nervous about him in goal in the championship. I'd want him nowhere near the first team in the Premier League personally.  Even when he manages to save one he somehow looks unconvincing. Someone once described him to me as having crisp packet hands and I'd concur. 

There can't be too many 26/27 year old gems hiding away in the German second division either. It's not as if we signed a youngster with plenty of scope for development.

Gollini I always felt could do well either back home or in the top flight in say Portugal, Spain etc even though he struggled with us. At a standard of football where crosses/physical forwards are not so much a way of life. 

I'll safely predict Nyland's shot stopping won't be gracing the Champions League or any other reasonable standard of top flight football anytime soon. 

He's mince. 

Edited by HolteExile