Sergio Romero

ender4

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe I should have phrased it as struggling to understand why anybody would be against this signing? 

I'd take him over no one/ our current no.2/3/4/5 (we like to buy GK's 😂), 100%. Many I'd have instead of him, disappointed we couldn't get better or didn't spend that 8mill else where. That's my view

11 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

I'd take him over no one/ our current no.2/3/4/5 (we like to buy GK's 😂), 100%. Many I'd have instead of him, disappointed we couldn't get better or didn't spend that 8mill else where. That's my view

Dunno mate. Not many top keepers out there for 8m.. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Doesn't he have 90 odd caps for Argentina?

Who we getting better than that for £8m?

Hasn't played for Argentina for 3 years. Plenty of GK's ahead of him. Maybe he'll become number one if he's playing regularly? Got about 4 GK's ahead of him atm 

1 minute ago, SeanVilla said:

Hasn't played for Argentina for 3 years. Plenty of GK's ahead of him. Maybe he'll become number one if he's playing regularly? Got about 4 GK's ahead of him atm 

Unsurprising, considering he had been de gea's back up during that time. You don't get 90 caps for Argentina unless you are a pretty decent GK. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Unsurprising, considering he had been de gea's back up during that time. You don't get 90 caps for Argentina unless you are a pretty decent GK. 

Are Argentina known for their GK's? can you name a world class Argentina GK of the past? Nyland has 28 caps for Norway and Kalinic has 19 caps for the current World Cup Finalists

34 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

You either don't understand or don't believe that a backup GK with less than a year left on his contract is expensive at £7mill.

We're not going to get past that so there's no point in having a discussion. Fine he's a great signing and a bargain and can't wait to see him play when we can finally get back into the stadium.

For future reference, every player we sign will be better than someone in the squad, so copy and paste what I've put that for every player we sign. 

Your issue is with the fee then. Not the player. 

I don’t think it’s expensive, no. Fair enough if you do. But I think turning your nose up at a player of his quality as our number two because of 7m in 2020 is a bit much. It’s neither here nor there really. Maybe we should only be paying 5 for him? I think we’ll survive

1 minute ago, SeanVilla said:

You're right. Playing a handful of games for your National team makes you a class GK 🤦‍♂️

He’s got 100 caps mate. For one of the best national teams in the world. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

I guess we have to assume until we see him play he's world class

He won’t be world class but if he is deemed good enough to be number 2 for one the biggest clubs in the world he must be adequate at the least.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He won’t be world class but if he is deemed good enough to be number 2 for one the biggest clubs in the world he must adequate at least.

Yeah to be fair, he will be adequate, like the rest of our signings I'm sure. Probably won't do anything spectacular but hopefully we'll be steady. Not sure Grealish will accept another mediocre season, but oh well.

Just now, SeanVilla said:

Yeah to be fair, he will be adequate, like the rest of our signings I'm sure. Probably won't do anything spectacular but hopefully we'll be steady. Not sure Grealish will accept another mediocre season, but oh well.

I think 8m is decent value for Premier League adequate. Worst case Heaton comes back in. Best case Heaton can’t get back in.