Sergio Romero

ender4

1 hour ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I know where you’re coming from.  But Villa Park is a horrible place for a goalkeeper to “develop”.  I remember John Gregory saying how Michael Oakes couldn’t handle the Holte.  I think we’ve had our fill of goalkeepers who struggle to catch when they feel nervous!

Can’t remember our last good or competent young keeper, the better ones have been 30 + in the last 20 years Friedel , Heaton, James,   Bosnich being the exception   I  suppos yet he was 27-28 when he left, we haven’t really filled that void Long term since he left.

1 minute ago, Cosmik Debris said:

It's all relative to a degree though isn’t it.. We could always wait 9 months until he is on a free but if Heaton does not come back quickly or perform well straight away then we may be a championship team by then. 

From what I saw of him he is a solid keeper that appears to be available at a good price, we definitely need someone like him so why not him, the length left on his contract probably does mirror the reason he is only being touted at £8m...

Yes, I wouldn't say wait until next season, he probably would have better offers. I'm saying considering Heaton 33 (£8mill), Martinez 27 (Maybe £15mill), Ramsdale 22 (£18mill), Romero with 9 months left on his contract is not a good deal at £8mill.

Whilst it's nice to improve the squad as a whole, my concern is by Christmas our starting eleven could easily look like, assuming we buy Wilson (20m), Watkins (28m), Cash (16m), Romero (8m):

Heaton

Cash/Guilbert Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz 

McGinn Hourihane

Watkins   Wesley    Grealish

£72mill spent is a lot for a team that looks not massively better than what we had last season. 

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Can’t remember our last good or competent young keeper, the better ones have been 30 + in the last 20 years Friedel , Heaton, James,   Bosnich being the exception   I  suppos yet he was 27-28 when he left, we haven’t really filled that void Long term since he left.

James was 28 when we signed him but to answer your question

Football: Four-goal Atalanta close in on Champions League quarter-final,  Football News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeanVilla said:

Yes, I wouldn't say wait until next season, he probably would have better offers. I'm saying considering Heaton 33 (£8mill), Martinez 27 (Maybe £15mill), Ramsdale 22 (£18mill), Romero with 9 months left on his contract is not a good deal at £8mill.

Whilst it's nice to improve the squad as a whole, my concern is by Christmas our starting eleven could easily look like, assuming we buy Wilson (20m), Watkins (28m), Cash (16m), Romero (8m):

Heaton

Cash/Guilbert Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz 

McGinn Hourihane

Watkins   Wesley    Grealish

£72mill spent is a lot for a team that looks not massively better than what we had last season. 

It's a lot because you're assuming that both Wilson/Romero will sit on the bench, which definitely isn't the case for the first few months of the season...

Just now, Zatman said:

James was 28 when we signed him but to answer your question

Football: Four-goal Atalanta close in on Champions League quarter-final,  Football News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Genuinely think Bruce didn't rate him Gollini because he kept getting him confused with Elphick in training...

Bruce:  "Tommy!  Why are you in a keeper's kit?!?!  You should be trying to manhandle Samba in a 5 a side game right now!"

Gollini:  "But it'sa meee!!!  Peraluigi!  I'ma goallie!!!"

Bruce:  "Now you're just taking the piss!  Next thing you'll be telling me is that you missed training because your mansion gate won't open!  Don't use it as an excuse for why you can't even play as a right back!!!"  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

It's a lot because you're assuming that both Wilson/Romero will sit on the bench, which definitely isn't the case for the first few months of the season...

Which is exactly why I'd prefer to get players who are an upgrade on those positions i.e Aarons, Edouard, Rashica, Martinez etc. There's no definite's they'll blow their competition out the water, but I think we've got a good enough squad to take risk on players like we did on Douglas Luiz, Adama, Gueye, Amavi etc. that could take us to the next level. Our team is good enough now in my opinion we don't need to be like Bournemouth and over pay for average players

55 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Okay Romero is a good back up to Heaton, agreed. Maybe a very good backup.

£8mill is not a snip or even a good price for a 33 year old back up GK with 9 months left on his contract, we are overpaying. You'll probably struggle (I may be wrong) to find a team that's spent more than that on a Backup GK in the prem in the last few years. 

£8mill on a backup GK is not a sign we are focused on other areas at all. Comparatively it's a lot of money for a back up GK, if we were focus£8mill on a backup GK is not a sign we are focused on other areas at all. Comparatively it's a lot of money for a back up GK, if we were focused on other areas, we'd get a loan or let Steer start the season. In simple terms, Watkins + Romero = Edouard for example (it's obviously not that simple but you get my ed on other areas, we'd get a loan or let Steer start the season. In simple terms, Watkins + Romero = Edouard for example (it's obviously not that simple but you get my point).

You talk like it is your money! 😂Firstly you don't know how much money we actually have to spend, the amount of money we will recoup from player sales and how much money the alternative options would cost. Friedal and Reina were still decent keepers in their late 30's, as was Peter Shilton in days gone by. If the club feel it is good value and doesn't negatively impact on other transfers then who are we to say if it acceptable or not?! 

Just now, Made In Aston said:

You talk like it is your money! 😂Firstly you don't know how much money we actually have to spend, the amount of money we will recoup from player sales and how much money the alternative options would cost. Friedal and Reina were still decent keepers in their late 30's, as was Peter Shilton in days gone by. If the club feel it is good value and doesn't negatively impact on other transfers then who are we to say if it acceptable or not?! 

Not at all. You don't need to be an insider in the club to know £8mill spent means £8mill less on the budget. We've got a budget of £Xmill and I don't think we're spending it as well as we could. As fans, we are allowed to have an opinion and just because some of us are not overly happy with every single signing, just because it's a signing, doesn't mean it's wrong. 

1 hour ago, SeanVilla said:

Okay Romero is a good back up to Heaton, agreed. Maybe a very good backup.

£8mill is not a snip or even a good price for a 33 year old back up GK with 9 months left on his contract, we are overpaying. You'll probably struggle (I may be wrong) to find a team that's spent more than that on a Backup GK in the prem in the last few years. 

£8mill on a backup GK is not a sign we are focused on other areas at all. Comparatively it's a lot of money for a back up GK, if we were focused on other areas, we'd get a loan or let Steer start the season. In simple terms, Watkins + Romero = Edouard for example (it's obviously not that simple but you get my point).

And it's not like complaining we're spending £10mill on a very good player who plays Jack's position, it's like complaining we're spending £80mill on a very good player who plays Jack's position, except we can't just move the other player to another position, so one has to go on the bench. 

£7m according to Marca. 

For a 100 cap international goalkeeper. It’s nothing in 2020. It’s a snip. Let the owners worry about how much we’re spending. 

Your last paragraph makes no sense. We’re not spending a fortune. It’s £7m. 

We need a better number 2. We’re getting a very very good one for a relatively cheap price. 

what’s not to like?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeanVilla said:

The thing is as a fan, you don't have to be happy about every signing, that on the surface, would improve our squad. You don't have to be happy with signing Jota, Lansbury, Nakamba, Samatta, Hause, Hogan, McCormack, Tshibola, Bree, Nyland. Just because they appear to be "better than what we've got", does not mean you have to be happy with them.

Maybe I should have phrased it as struggling to understand why anybody would be against this signing? 

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

£7m according to Marca. 

For a 100 cap international goalkeeper. It’s nothing in 2020. It’s a snip. Let the owners worry about how much we’re spending. 

Your last paragraph makes no sense. We’re not spending a fortune. It’s £7m. 

We need a better number 2. We’re getting a very very good one for a relatively cheap price. 

what’s not to like?

You either don't understand or don't believe that a backup GK with less than a year left on his contract is expensive at £7mill.

We're not going to get past that so there's no point in having a discussion. Fine he's a great signing and a bargain and can't wait to see him play when we can finally get back into the stadium.

For future reference, every player we sign will be better than someone in the squad, so copy and paste what I've put that for every player we sign.