Matty Cash

paul514

I've always been a fan of Matty Cash, but he needs the rest of the team to be on their game, and when they're not he goes from a consistent 7/10 performance to a 4 or 5.

• Like 2

He gets too tight and fouls way too often. The needless pushing he does frustrates the life out of me. Gives so many dangerous free kicks away.

Oh and being deeper than the rest of the line and always playing people onside.

Edited by villan95

Matty Cash was great for where we were, not good enough for where we are.

He's been good for the Villa but we need someone better in this position, been saying it for a while now so it isn't just reactionary to his performance today

• Like 1

Played himself out of trouble really well, looks up, doesn’t see two villa players in miles of space, panics, passes to Martinez who is immediately pressured and we go onto concede 

he could be brilliant but he’s simply too thick to play in this system. 

He's always struggled when up against a decent winger one on one.  He's had the run around from Barnes before when he was at Leicester, Estupinan tied him up in knots in the Brighton game at the end of last season and today he managed to make Gordon look way better than I've ever seen from him before.  If his forward play is meant to be his saving grace, the appalling miss today indicates he's not good enough at that either.

2 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Just does not look happy playing out of pressure.

agree with this, he is just very poor technically, watching him try to play intricately, in tight spaces under pressure is painful.

I think he stands off too much also, he just allows opposition players to progress with the ball, its like he just runs alongside them until they are right on the edge of the box, then he just kind of...stands there and lets them cross or try to cut in.

I honestly think he is one of the glaring weak spots in the starting 11.

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Played himself out of trouble really well, looks up, doesn’t see two villa players in miles of space, panics, passes to Martinez who is immediately pressured and we go onto concede 

he could be brilliant but he’s simply too thick to play in this system. 

i commented on that too at the time to my missus, he kind of got out of a sticky situation fairly well, then he had at least two very good opportunities to just lay it off to a Villa player, then he goes all chicken head, doesnt pass, gets himself in a mess, passes to Emi who was then also under pressure and Emi has to kick it out.

If it wasnt for all the other comedy going on in the match it would have stuck out even more, but that did stick out for me at the time, i just sat there....said "wtf" and shook my head, it was thick as s*** what he did.

A big fan but I feel sadly we have outgrown him, he seems to be the weakness opponents exploit.

I don't like bagging one of our own but I feel it's an objective opinion not hating on him.

Not a great game, but Newcastle is a stiff game, they are very good out wide and expose space well. 
He may not be good enough for where we’re going, but in most games he’ll be fine.

Edited by mikeyp102

3 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Doesnt want the ball

Struggles with it.

Positional awareness is shocking.

Served us well...but we definitely should be looking for an upgrade 

Didn’t he used to be a midfielder though? How can he not want the ball?

We can’t be a team challenging at the top end of the table with any player that doesn’t want the ball.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Gash in every way today. How he missed that opportunity ill never know and the third goal was all his fault

It rebounded to him quickly and bounced so the ball was at an awkward height. That meant he didn't have enough time to get his body shape right. It's not an excuse: he should have scored, and a better player would have done. But it's not inexplicable. 

We need another RB; that was clear before today as well, but I think the logic was that Konsa could provide the competition/different option on the right side. Now it's much clearer that Konsa will need to play a very large part of the season at CB, so there is literally no backup for Cash. The club need to do something about that, whatever they can do with whatever money is available. 

• Like 1

Â