Freedom for Tooting! And other similar nutty fringe communities

chrisp65

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

What we need to do is show the people of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales what we are delivering for them.

spacer.png

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, bickster said:

Huge shift in NI population stats in the census results

For the future make-up of the United Kingdom, this part of the polling seems more important:

Identity: British only, 31.86%, Irish only 29.13%, Northern Irish only, 19.78%.

A decade ago: British 40%, Irish 25%, NI 21%.

That's a pretty sharp tumble for Britishness, more so than the fall for Protestantism.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Still wouldn't convert to many seats, but the only thing that was keeping the Tories alive in Scotland was that they've been the default pro-union vote since the SNP rise. If that switches to Labour, you'd expect a virtual Tory wipeout in Scotland. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Brexit gives Scotland all the argument it will ever need for independence.

Well it does and doesn't. Scotland as an independent nation would trade far more with the rump of Britain than Europe, so that would have to be considered if they left the union and wanted to join (rejoin?) the EU. Plus I would think most of the EU would wish this just went away  as if this happened there would be massive pressure on Northern Italy and parts of Spain to do the same.

It might just be the high water mark of Scottish Nationalism. Quebec held 2 referendums and the second one the Independence vote actually lowered. Plus demographically Scotland is ageing rapidly which probably result in a more conservative  (with a small c) vote for unionism. 

5 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Brexit gives Scotland all the argument it will ever need for independence.

It has to be said also though that there is no guarantee that an independent Scotland would be able to join the EU.

Spain absolutely guaranteed to veto their membership

They'd have more chance of rejoining the EU as part of the Union when/if the UK decides to rejoin.

Spain far less likely to veto a combined UK rejoining

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, blandy said:

Fair enough. My reason for thinking so is that (as with NI) England leaving would cause all sorts of trouble on the Island of Ireland - the Throbby DUP types would go mental. England being the most populous part of the UK, having that London as part of it, Westminster having the main "control" currently over the UK, the Bank of England controlling currency, the nations diplomats and so on being essentially London based and largely "English" and the perception/confusion abroad around England being Britain..and so on. 56 million "English" leaving seems to carry more weight to me than 2 million NI, 3 million Welsh or 5 million Scots. But others may argue along different lines.

To get back on subject, the break up of the UK seems more likely due to Tory party Brexity games and general horribleness than at any time in living memory.

This felt like it was hogging the wrong thread really.

Surely there’s no difference? If Scotland voted to leave, they would need all that governmental infrastructure replaced, they’d need currency, they’d need new passports, some people would throw a wobbly. If England left, well then Scotland would need all that governmental infrastructure replaced, they’d need currency, they’d need new passports, some people would throw a wobbly. Whether or not its actually viable for Scotland, whether they will prosper, whether some people will want dual citizenship or relocate, it doesn’t change that does it?

Am I missing something? I can’t see how it would be any different? They might not like the timing, it might not be convenient, there would be emotion, but in practical terms what would Scotland have to do different if it instigated a split, compared with if England instigated a split?  

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Am I missing something? I can’t see how it would be any different?

Because if England left, every other part would need to replace all the stuff that England currently does “for” them as part of GB, so 3 other parts all have replacement stuff to sort out, including currency, diplomacy etc. if one of the others left, they’d take the hit, but everyone else would be less affected. Wales wouldn’t be as badly affected by disruption If Scotland left compared to if England left…etc. Just my theory, anyway.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Because if England left, every other part would need to replace all the stuff that England currently does “for” them as part of GB, so 3 other parts all have replacement stuff to sort out, including currency, diplomacy etc. if one of the others left, they’d take the hit, but everyone else would be less affected. Wales wouldn’t be as badly affected by disruption If Scotland left compared to if England left…etc. Just my theory, anyway.

But for each individual nation, they still have to do the same things as if they had been the instigator. It won’t make any difference to the people of Scotland if the people of Wales suddenly have to print their own tax forms. That pain is still only on Wales. Except, except, potentially there’s a scenario where they could share some of the logistical pain. Wales could remain the mint for N.I. and Scotland, N.I. could be home of the navy, Scotland could do taxes. Or whatever. Pure conjecture and spitballing.

Three nations of 5, 3, and 2 million might be a more equitable fit? 

But fundamentally, all three smaller nations combined could not prevent England leaving if it wanted to. England (as in Westminster) alone, appears to believe it can stop all or any of the other leaving. 

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Even in resignation she loves the sound of her own voice  , all it needed was a 11 seconds  ..  I've been rumbled and I'm out of here  , Goodbye 

I can't stand her,  she is deluded, dangerous and dishonest as a base line and makes Nigel Farage look intelligent.

Sturgeon and Truss have not done women in politics any favors either,  two bottom of the barrel people that managed to fail upwards.  

Scotland will never leave now,  she has managed that I suppose.  @tonyh29 I will watch and laugh at her for you 👍

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I can't stand her,  she is deluded, dangerous and dishonest as a base line and makes Nigel Farage look intelligent.

Sturgeon and Truss have not done women in politics any favors either,  two bottom of the barrel people that managed to fail upwards.  

Scotland will never leave now,  she has managed that I suppose.  @tonyh29 I will watch and laugh at her for you 👍

Nadine Dorries says hi. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â