Freedom for Tooting! And other similar nutty fringe communities

chrisp65

Really just a place to drop the occasional polling graphic or whatever to cover the SNP, or Irish Unification or Mebyon Kernow.

SNP now appear to be polling above 50% even with the don’t knows removed from the stats.

You’re in a potentially tricky place when you’re telling the majority that they can’t have a democratic vote.

(apologies if a version of this thread already exists, I’ve lost it if it does)

46 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Really just a place to drop the occasional polling graphic or whatever to cover the SNP, or Irish Unification or Mebyon Kernow.

SNP now appear to be polling above 50% even with the don’t knows removed from the stats.

You’re in a potentially tricky place when you’re telling the majority that they can’t have a democratic vote.

(apologies if a version of this thread already exists, I’ve lost it if it does)

If the majority want the vote what's the point in having it.  We already know the result.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

An interesting thing to watch will be how the unionist parties campaign in the Holyrood elections. 

They can't really go all out on the "vote for us otherwise the SNP will get a new referendum and the UK will break up" line because when the SNP get their inevitable majority then it'll be politically very difficult to not then have the referendum which they themselves said would be the consequence. 

But if they campaign on "there won't be another referendum whatever happens" then it's virtually goading people into voting SNP and increasing the size of their majority.

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

@Xannfor Culture Secretary! Less Tax for my Daughter!

UK's second lowest Council Tax, Lidl and Aldi on the doorstep and Sri Lankan mutton rolls for 80p, what else do you want?

Free beer? :)

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Genuinely thought this was going to be a thread about farting.  Don't think I've clicked on one quicker.

It must have been a blow, when you found out the reality.

• Like 1

I always get into trouble when linking or quoting things but if you Google "Paul Bigland HS2" you will find the site of a blogger who is basically pro HS2. 

I admit to being very pro HS2 myself but I understand why some people are anti.  But I've been really trying to square the circle of the environmentalists who are very anti HS2.  To my mind electric trains are by a long distance the most environmentaly friendly form of transport that exists.  It will without question take millions of car journeys and hundreds of thousands of flights away over the next 100 years when built yet they are vehemently against it. 

Yes inevitabley there will be land and some habitats destroyed to build it but there has to be some give here. People are not going to stop moving so surely the alternatives are far far worse? 

Anyway the anti HS2 hardcore are mainly middle class nimbys but have become quite mixed up with some more serious protestors such as extinction rebellion* who in turn due to infighting have some pretty hardcore and dubious splinter groups. 

Anyway if you read his latest blog he's really gone in hard on some of the individuals behind the protests and uncovered some serious issues regarding probable misuse of funding and some quite amusing stuff like one of the more hardcore ones quietly jetting off to Spain for a holiday. 

It's just fascinating, he's clearly put a lot of time in to uncover some of these things.  It just opens a window onto these professional protestors. I'll leave it to others to discuss his motives and the politics of it but he does question if the middle class nimbys who put their money into it realise where it's going and to whom it's going because outside of HS2 they would probably normally regard them as the enemy. 

* Another group whose methods I can't fathom.  How much carbon has been pumped into the atmosphere by the traffic jams they have caused.  I just don't get it. 

YesCymru_WelshIndyPolling_200827_indy.pd

Trying not to hijack the Labour thread but wanted to show @ml1dch this recent poll.

39% of people that voted Labour 9 months ago would vote yes for independence.

45% of Plaid voters from 9 months ago would vote yes for independence - less than half voting for Plaid, would vote for independence. So I don’t read that as nationalist, my take on that, is anti Westminster, because patently the London model isn’t working for them.

I really don’t think you can point at those figures and say we need to persuade ‘nationalists’ to be more ‘british’. Which is where talk of unionism gets you. There’s nothing right wing about the majority of those canvassed, they’re not first and foremost ‘nationalists’.

Â