Freedom for Tooting! And other similar nutty fringe communities

chrisp65

Another cracking good vox pop on the streets of Glasgow when asked about Independence by BBC R4

7 people asked, 5 of them thoroughly, eloquently, very much in favour of staying in the union. One actually saying England gives us money so they should have the say on what we can do. Only 2 speaking up for independence. No don’t knows.

72% of Glaswegians in favour of the union on a totally random impartial BBC vox pop.

Looks legit.

• Like 1

Poshbullyscumpraisesdeadpsycho

He said: "Thanks to Margaret Thatcher, who closed so many coal mines across the country, we had a big early start and we're now moving rapidly away from coal altogether."

He is reported to have laughed and told reporters: "I thought that would get you going."

Not a single redeeming feature to the guy. Other than his potential as a recruiting sergeant.

• 4 weeks later...

Scottish Green Party membership has voted 88% in favour of joining the SNP in government.

That gives an overall majority to pro indie parties pledged to an independence referendum within 5 years.

With a bit of luck, those top strategic minds in Westminster will say no.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sturgeon harping about Scottish independence again. Get the message, the Scottish people said no. Just let it go ffs

They voted to stay based on an entirely different set of circumstances.

This is obvious.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sturgeon harping about Scottish independence again. Get the message, the Scottish people said no. Just let it go ffs

In fairness a lot has happened since 2014. Brexit and Boris Johnson being the two biggest.

If I was Scottish and saw that a neighbouring country that was part of the same union were not just thick enough to be voting Tory but so thick and easily led that they voted Tory with Boris Johnson at the helm, and inflicted him on the Scots, I think I'd want to drop that country like a bad habit and do one.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

They voted to stay based on an entirely different set of circumstances.

This is obvious.

There was a rather big state of Scotland poll the other week with some very interesting results

Remain in the Union was ahead by a few points, it might even have been 52 / 48 :D

The need for a referendum on staying in or leaving the Union was currently considered to be not an immediate  priority by a large (around 70% iirc) proportion of the respondents

Sturgeon's popularity (not the SNPs just Sturgeons) popularity was waning

The highest scoring Scottish Party Leader was Labour's

Isnt there bigger priorities right now for the snp than a referendum? The cost of living being one.

I really dont understand why they would push for this at this point when most of the world is a mess

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Isnt there bigger priorities right now for the snp than a referendum? The cost of living being one.

I really dont understand why they would push for this at this point when most of the world is a mess

Those who want to leave the Union will believe they'll be better off financially so I'd imagine they'll believe they'll be better able to handle the cost of living crisis if they can govern themselves.

I don't know if them being better off out of the Union would be the case in fairness. What I do know is that had Scotland, along with the rest of the UK stayed in the EU, then they along with the rest of us would be better off. I guess it grieves them more as they voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU. They were never likely to be duped by self serving right wing chancers like Johnson/Farage though were they.

There is no doubt that Brexit/a Johnson led Tory government will have strengthened those who want independence belief that they would be much better off away from England. An England that has taken to self harm.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Incompetent political parties need their wedge issues to distract from the bad job they are doing with those bigger priorities. 

"We'd be doing so much better without the UK holding us back" is just "we'd be doing do much better without the EU holding us back" in a kilt.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Those who want to leave the Union will believe they'll be better off financially so I'd imagine they'll believe they'll be better able to handle the cost of living crisis if they can govern themselves.

I don't know if them being better off out of the Union would be the case in fairness. What I do know is that had Scotland, along with the rest of the UK stayed in the EU, then they along with the rest of us would be better off. I guess it grieves them more as they voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU. They were never likely to be duped by self serving right wing chancers like Johnson/Farage though were they.

There is no doubt that Brexit/a Johnson led Tory government will have strengthened those who want independence belief that they would be much better off away from England. An England that has taken to self harm.

If Scotland do go independent I will seriously consider moving there. England under Tory rule is screwed and the system is rigged to make that the most likely outcome. 

It's not that Scotland's chances are great as an individual nation, it's more that England has lost touch with reality. We cheer on a past that never existed at the expense of a future we are wrecking. I'm happy to peel off the I'm with stupid three lions shirt.

• Like 1

Â