Ben Chrisene

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

Well, I want the best for Ben and hope he makes his Premier League debut soon. But a word of caution about 'he played senior football for Exeter at 15'. He did but it consisted of 5 sub appearances coming on on respectively 88,89,79,79 and 89 minutes. That's a total of 26 minutes (plus added time after the 90 minute mark!).

My recollection of his senior debut (in the Small Heath area of Birmingham!) is that he didn't touch the ball in the two minutes he was on. All five sub appearances were in midfield. Three of those games were in the EFL Cup against either League two mainly reserve teams or West Ham's U21s. 

And his Villa experience is limited too, with just a handful of U21 games against League opposition due to his injury earlier this season. As others have said it would be great for us fans to see how good he is/has become but I'm not convinced that a debut marking Saka for 90 minutes is the best course.

I think he has also came back from an injury so throwing him in could be madness

On 13/03/2022 at 23:17, messi11 said:

Question for you: If we finish in 10th place with less points than we manage to get last season. Is that a better season than last season?

You didnt ask me...but!! 😜

Considering the following:

1) The very poor start to the season, where after 11 games we were on less points at that point (10 points after 11 games), than during our relegation scrap first year back in the PL (13 points after 11 games).

2) We had lost our talisman in Grealish.

3) The early injuries to our new signings (Buendia/Bailey etc).

On balance, i think 10th would be a good finish, and what happened at the start of it, i think i would argue it is better in terms of season recovery and consolidation.

Is 10th what a lot "hoped for"?, no probably not, but realistically, taking the season holistically, 10th would be a very good finish imo.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 09:16, MaVilla said:

You didnt ask me...but!! 😜

Considering the following:

1) The very poor start to the season, where after 11 games we were on less points at that point (10 points after 11 games), than during our relegation scrap first year back in the PL (13 points after 11 games).

2) We had lost our talisman in Grealish.

3) The early injuries to our new signings (Buendia/Bailey etc).

On balance, i think 10th would be a good finish, and what happened at the start of it, i think i would argue it is better in terms of season recovery and consolidation.

Is 10th what a lot "hoped for"?, no probably not, but realistically, taking the season holistically, 10th would be a very good finish imo.

seeing the weaknesses in the team as I do and have done for some seasons.......I think 9th/10th is fine.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

With Digne doubtful vs. Leicester.  Chrisene at left back or go with Young?

I would have went with Chrisene but since we could be on for a 5th loss in a row I think they will go with Young for the famous experience 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would have went with Chrisene but since we could be on for a 5th loss in a row I think they will go with Young for the famous experience 

Yeah I’d like to see him at some point, even if it’s just off the bench, but there’s a fine line between throwing him into the deep end and risking a disaster and giving him a sensible taste of top flight football 

Apparently he played Vs Brentford in the friendly last week. So we could see him. However O'Reilly and Iroegbunam were specifically called out as the two players to have impressed Gerrard by the Birmingham Mail - so may be that Chrisene didn't do quite enough to win the shirt. However the B'ham Mail 'article' was short and vague so wasn't clear cut that only those two did well..

I'd be surprised to see him start considering his lack of football and not much time spent on the bench. There have been opportunities to get Chuk and Tim on the pitch and they've been on the bench half the season, not sure I see Chrisene going from minimal bench appearances to starter. 

Maybe we can be far enough ahead to get him 20 minutes, replacing Young late on in the game?

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

if we played chrisene, chuk and timbo and lost I think fans would have more patience than playing young, mcginn and luiz

we are now at the stage of what are we showing for next year, continuing to pick players who either wont be here or wont be starters makes no sense especially when week in week out the answer to what are we showing is absolutely **** all

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Young is the most successful starting player under Gerrard so far. 4 wins and 2 defeats from 6 starts giving 2ppg avg. Also most team goals scored per game (1.67) and fewest conceded per game (0.67) of any player's starts under Gerrard.

• Like 2

Chrisene only turned eighteen in January and has missed most of this season playing just four Premier League 2 games. I want to see some more of the youngsters at least getting more minutes off the bench, but I don't think Chrisene in particular not starting tomorrow will be a reason to be critical of Gerrard

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, useless said:

Chrisene only turned eighteen in January and has missed most of this season playing just four Premier League 2 games. I want to see some more of the youngsters at least getting more minutes off the bench, but I don't think Chrisene in particular not starting tomorrow will be a reason to be critical of Gerrard

I'd say starting a youngster without preparing him enough could be a bigger reason to be critical (don't think it will happen). Hope he gets some minutes later in the game though.

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

Young is the most successful starting player under Gerrard so far. 4 wins and 2 defeats from 6 starts giving 2ppg avg. Also most team goals scored per game (1.67) and fewest conceded per game (0.67) of any player's starts under Gerrard.

That can't be right. Ashley Young is so old he can barely move.

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

So? Are you saying that's mainly because Young started, or do you think there was more at play?

It's not even as if his four Premier League 2 appearance this season have come recently and he's had a little run of games to at least get back into his stride, he's actually only played 45 minutes for the U23s since January, other than that his only other game time has come in the traing match against Brentford.

Also he's not made a single first team appearance for the first team, he's not going to from having missed most of the season, never having played for the first team, to suddenly starting in a game that really could do with winning, under the circumstances I doubt any manager would start him tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

So? Are you saying that's mainly because Young started, or do you think there was more at play?

I'm not sure I was trying to say anything particularly beyond pointing out a somewhat interesting fact. I guess maybe it shows Young starting might not be the disaster some might assume.

Also, we haven't won once when Chrisene has started so I think that says it all really.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I'm not sure I was trying to say anything particularly beyond pointing out a somewhat interesting fact. I guess maybe it shows Young starting might not be the disaster some might assume.

Also, we haven't won once when Chrisene has started so I think that says it all really.

Its like saying we have never won when Robin Olsen has started a game for us :D  

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its like saying we have never won when Robin Olsen has started a game for us :D  

We have though! I know Olsen played those behind the scenes games against Molde and Brentford a month or so ago. We’re undefeated with Olsen!

Ben Chrisene is obviously undefeated with the senior team as well, but that may be a weak argument to start him now if he’s not ready.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

10 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Apparently he played Vs Brentford in the friendly last week. So we could see him. However O'Reilly and Iroegbunam were specifically called out as the two players to have impressed Gerrard by the Birmingham Mail - so may be that Chrisene didn't do quite enough to win the shirt. However the B'ham Mail 'article' was short and vague so wasn't clear cut that only those two did well..

I'd be surprised to see him start considering his lack of football and not much time spent on the bench. There have been opportunities to get Chuk and Tim on the pitch and they've been on the bench half the season, not sure I see Chrisene going from minimal bench appearances to starter. 

Maybe we can be far enough ahead to get him 20 minutes, replacing Young late on in the game?

That really should've happened when we were 4 up v Southampton...think he was on the bench that day so would've been ideal to give him 15-20 minutes to ease him in as we did with Ramsey 18 months back.

Think he'll play safe with Young but the thought of him actually starting at LB for us v Liverpool and Man. City is pretty terrifying. 

• Like 2

Â