Saïd Benrahma

MaVilla

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think our interest waned when we signed Jack to his new deal....and I know which one I would prefer.

I totally agree mate, Jack was a huge thing for us, we forget sometimes how far we have come in 18 months. To keep Jack is pivotal to villa showing we will not be bullied. To be honest I like the look of benrahma, but as I said Dean smith knows what he brings, and we went all out for watkins and I'm more than happy with that. UTV

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We dont need players that make little drone movies of having a shave at a villa . Right now he is a good player because he probably ain’t quite rich enough to stop giving a shit yet. Let’s see him in a few more years.

Lol... I see what your saying, and yeah lovely flicks and skill moves don't cut it in prem, the boy is greedy if what I'm hearing is right, let wet spam take the risk I say, I'm buzzing with our business mate 👍

• Like 1

Just now, Rossi said:

Lol... I see what your saying, and yeah lovely flicks and skill moves don't cut it in prem, the boy is greedy if what I'm hearing is right, let wet spam take the risk I say, I'm buzzing with our business mate 👍

Although I admit I was waxing lyrical about him last summer. Even compared him to Mahrez. But now I get the impression he has got the big move and ridiculous wages a little bit earlier than he is ready for.

If this happened last summer I would have been gutted. Right now I can’t help but feel we have dodged a bullet. Only time well tell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Although I admit I was waxing lyrical about him last summer. Even compared him to Mahrez. But now I get the impression he has got the big move and ridiculous wages a little bit earlier than he is ready for.

If this happened last summer I would have been gutted. Right now I can’t help but feel we have dodged a bullet. Only time well tell. 

I agree mate, the business we have done is looking unbelievable if I'm honest, I must admit myself I'm always thinking maybe 1 more signing lol, but where we are now compared to 18 months ago is unreal. I think your right we may of dodged a bullet 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Which one is it?

Haha it's a bit of both as it's a reasoning, I think he will be worth the double after having proven himself in the PL and then in hindsight we might regret not signing him come next year. That said with the facts on the table in this moment, it's crazy that a 25 year old Championship player without PL experience has a 30M price tag.

So with the club acting rational and not paying 30+ now based on the facts in this moment, I can't really blame them and understand it. But from an emotional, unrational point of view I would like us to take the gamble.

In the shoes of the one's responible for our finances it's a no. In the shoes of the emotional fan it's yes. And I am the emotional fan, so if you demand a clear cut yes or no from me in this moment, it's a yes! Yes Yes Yes! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rossi said:

I agree mate, the business we have done is looking unbelievable if I'm honest, I must admit myself I'm always thinking maybe 1 more signing lol, but where we are now compared to 18 months ago is unreal. I think your right we may of dodged a bullet 👍

TIFO podcast by The Athletic all 3 commentators were raving about our transfer business

6 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

That said with the facts on the table in this moment, it's crazy that a 25 year old Championship player without PL experience has a 30M price tag.

Been happening for seasons. Webster a CB we were "interested in" went to Brighton last season for +20 million and looks a great buy. Maddison the season before +20m

• Like 1

Do not understand why we never got Rahma, as others have said it's been seasons in the making. Now it looks like the Hammers have him.

What's most annoying is the fact that he was part of the Brentford scoring partnership to Watkins who we bought. Those two scored a load of goals between them, how could we just not buy both, seems ridiculous.

We had a good succesful window but as I've said to many a time were still abit light and need options on the bench. Josh king and a toss up between Beundia or Rahma should of happened to bring some game changing options on from subs.

30 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Josh king and a toss up between Beundia or Rahma should of happened to bring some game changing options on from subs.

1. None of those players would want to sign as bench cover. 

2. Buendia has 4 years left on his contract and Norwich aren't going to lose their best player and chance of promotion for less than silly money. 

3. If Purslow Smith et al were asked if we'd sign any of those on +15m for squad depth this window I reckon they'd laugh. 

4. Very few clubs can throw money at cover and we are still close to FFP limits by all accounts

Think this is a great signing for West Ham. From what I’ve seen he’s been arguably the best player in the league for two seasons he’s been there.

I’m very happy with our business, but I’m not going to pretend that I didn’t want him just because he’s going elsewhere.

I had West Ham down to struggle, but they’ve got a very, very good midfield and attack now, after this and the Soucek signing.

Think this will be one we’ll regret.

And incredible work from Brentford to get £80m for their front three from 18/19 season, what an excellently well run club.

7 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Think this is a great signing for West Ham. From what I’ve seen he’s been arguably the best player in the league for two seasons he’s been there.

Argue it all you want, Ollie Watkins was officially the best player in the league last year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Argue it all you want, Ollie Watkins was officially the best player in the league last year. 

Sure, and I didn’t watch much of the league last season, so I’m not in a place to give out those awards, so it’s fair enough. 

For the record, I’m ecstatic we have Watkins, and he was a far more important signing for us than Benrahma would’ve been, but I still would’ve liked him. 

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

What's most annoying is the fact that he was part of the Brentford scoring partnership to Watkins who we bought. Those two scored a load of goals between them, how could we just not buy both, seems ridiculous

I’m not sure I get your logic there Dave. Watkins has come into a team with Jack instead of Benrahama, which I can’t see as anything but an upgrade. If we didn’t have Jack fair enough, but we do. 

I think we could be light for another striker if Ollie got a long term injury but Benrahma isn’t a CF and I don’t believe he has been used as one much, if at all. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not sure I get your logic there Dave. Watkins has come into a team with Jack instead of Benrahama, which I can’t see as anything but an upgrade. If we didn’t have Jack fair enough, but we do. 

I think we could be light for another striker if Ollie got a long term injury but Benrahma isn’t a CF and I don’t believe he has been used as one much, if at all. 

I'll just say it as simple as I can DaveAV1. If Grealish gets injured or he needs subbing who do we bring on for him??

Also, Rahma and Watkins had a fantastic partnership and there is every chance they could carry that in here at Villa. I do see your point that Rahma would have to be convinced to sit on the bench but he would be an excellent sub to have. Let's face it we can't play Grealish 90 mins every game, he needs rest also, that's where Benrahma comes in as well. Yes our bench is light but we dont have no one of quality like Grealish, but it would totally hit us hard on field if he got injured.

I do see your point about a striker, I agree on that, it's a same situation if Watkins goes down and gets laid out, we will be back to who exactly. I dont have confidence myself in any of our other strikers.Maybe Wesley will surprise us, I would very much like this to happen.

Again we need options where it counts and I think addressing an option for Grealish and Watkins should be priority.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

1. None of those players would want to sign as bench cover. 

2. Buendia has 4 years left on his contract and Norwich aren't going to lose their best player and chance of promotion for less than silly money. 

3. If Purslow Smith et al were asked if we'd sign any of those on +15m for squad depth this window I reckon they'd laugh. 

4. Very few clubs can throw money at cover and we are still close to FFP limits by all accounts

They would not be bench cover but rather allow us to rotate/rest/cover injuries/make attacking substutions to change/impact games.

Signing Buendia or Benrhama would give us 5 quality options for 3 spots at 7, 10 & 11 (the current three plus Traore and one of the potential signings - I'm assuming AEG would go out).  We should be aiming for this imo.  Whether we get there in this window or not, who knows.

The rumours at the start of the window were that we had £100m to spend and we have spent about £80m so there could be headroom.  One of the podcasters, I am told, was saying that he had done the math and that we could spend in excess of £120m and still be within FFP?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

They would not be bench cover but rather allow us to rotate/rest/cover injuries/make attacking substutions to change/impact games.

Signing Buendia or Benrhama would give us 5 quality options for 3 spots at 7, 10 & 11 (the current three plus Traore and one of the potential signings - I'm assuming AEG would go out).  We should be aiming for this imo.  Whether we get there in this window or not, who knows.

The rumours at the start of the window were that we had £100m to spend and we have spent about £80m so there could be headroom.  One of the podcasters, I am told, was saying that he had done the math and that we could spend in excess of £120m and still be within FFP?

With us out of the league cup and no european campaign their really isn't much football to go around. About 40 games total if we make a FA cup run.

Jack is a nailed on starter on the left. Maybe he misses a couple games for injury/rest but ideally he plays 30+ for the rest of the season. On the right we have Trez and Traore to split 40 games. Notice I haven't even mentioned AEG.  That doesn't leave much playing time at all for a new wing player. 

If I'm Buendia or Benhrama I'm looking at our lineup and thinking where do I play.  If the manager says I'm being signed as injury cover then I'm probably going elsewhere in search of 1st team football. 

If we do sign another winger it would be a younger player. Someone willing to be an understudy to Jack for a season or 2. Kind of like where Ramsey is currently in his career. Behnrhama is 25. He is looking to make his mark. You can't do that unless you are a nailed on 1st team starter. 

• Thanks 1

Â