Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Surrounded by below average players IMO. Not going to put any blame on him with the injuries we have, needs better around him.

He was more below average than the below average players that surrounded him tonight.

He’s been absolutely superb all season, even when not scoring.

But blaming the players around him for his performance tonight isn’t right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

That was his worst game for us.

He looked a battered, tired man.

Has been massive for us this year, need to get him some help.

This is exactly it, if the Wingers did more of a job, Watkins would not be so shattered because the lads doing the Job of three players up front, that's astonishing but it's completely unfair to him.

As you said get this man some help.

Edited by Dave-R

1 minute ago, Thug said:

He was more below average than the below average players that surrounded him tonight.

It is if there performance was absolutely shocking which it were.

When you have a player like Watkins constantly putting shifts in you then get a day like to do when Watkins himself can even operate at half his normal rate. The guys running mad and most likely now running on empty all because the likes of Trez and Ghazi are not making the most of there time on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

It is if there performance was absolutely shocking which it were.

When you have a player like Watkins constantly putting shifts in you then get a day like to do when Watkins himself can even operate at half his normal rate. The guys running mad and most likely now running on empty all because the likes of Trez and Ghazi are not making the most of there time on the pitch.

Dave, he was god awful tonight.  That had nothing to do with anyone around him.  His passing was off, his control was off.  He was a big part of why we were so awful tonight.

You’re right when you say he’s been putting shifts in all season, and quite frankly he’s earned having a bad night.  But I don’t agree that he was bad because of the players around him TONIGHT. He just had a very very bad day at the office.

• Like 2

I think he clearly needs a breather.Unfortunately our other striking options are pretty crap.

Apparent again that really do need to bring in another ST for when Ollie does have a bad run of form.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Thug said:

Dave, he was god awful tonight.  That had nothing to do with anyone around him.  His passing was off, his control was off.  He was a big part of why we were so awful tonight.

You’re right when you say he’s been putting shifts in all season, and quite frankly he’s earned having a bad night.  But I don’t agree that he was bad because of the players around him TONIGHT. He just had a very very bad day at the office.

Agreed, he's worked up plenty of credit at this stage so it's no reflection of his overall performance this season to acknowledge that he was horrendous tonight. Work rate was there as always but little else, it felt like every single ball played to him - good or otherwise - bounced off him all night and his decision making wasn't there at all.

42 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

That was his worst game for us.

He looked a battered, tired man.

Has been massive for us this year, need to get him some help.

It's why we should've had an alternative striker brought into the club.  Those fans that said another quality striker would get no game time were wrong then and if they are still saying it they are wrong now (I assume they arent).  Ollie needs support, Ollie needs rest occasionally and we as a team need to be able to bring somebody on or even start sometimes that isnt going to weaken the team and maybe sometimes if the need is right to play up top with Ollie rather than just one up top.

Ollie has a great injury free record but tiredness at this level which is a lot higher than the lower leagues because it is played so much faster needs to be taken into consideration. 

• Like 2

He runs 20 yards to get to a hopeless ball lumped forward and doesn’t have a single player anywhere near him and we expect him to be able to do something.

The fact that until tonight he has been able to deal with that pretty well is a testament to him.

The fact that a bit of clever movement by him( and obviously a massive amount of luck) should really have won us the game after 84 minutes of chasing lost causes is a testament to him.

A poor game by his standards but for me it only goes to show how good he has been this season that we’re surprised that he doesn’t do more despite the dreadful assistance from his team mates. 

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It's why we should've had an alternative striker brought into the club.  Those fans that said another quality striker would get no game time were wrong then and if they are still saying it they are wrong now (I assume they arent).  Ollie needs support, Ollie needs rest occasionally and we as a team need to be able to bring somebody on.

Ollie has a great injury free record but tiredness at this level which is a lot higher than the lower leagues.

"We'Ve gOt WeSlEy cOmInG bAcK, oThErWiSe OlLiE cAn MaNaGe To PlAy A wHoLe SeAsOn" 

• Like 2

Its difficult situation with Ollie, because whilst he is obviously a incredibly fit young man, he can't be expected to work as hard as he does 2/3 times per week without a little drop off. He needs a break but sadly we simply don't have anyone else. 

We've hit 40 points now so we aren't going down. Of course Smith will have eyes on Europe given our position but we need to find a way of giving him a couple of games off. If that means Davis upfront, or even AEG (once Jack is back) so be it. 

There is 11 games left, so whilst it might sound counter productive to take our best striker out of the team for a couple of games, it would also potentially mean having a fresh Watkins and Grealish for last 8/9 games. 

One thing sticks out about Watkins when you look at his stats and that is his conversion rate which is way down on strikers who score a similar amount of goals.

Personally I would tell him to stop pulling wide so much and play in the middle ALL the time, there is no point pulling wide unless others fill in for you which evidently they don't

9 hours ago, Thug said:

Don't get me wrong he was poor but I also don't want him coming deep to get the ball like he was. 

We haven't created a single big chance for Watkins since Grealish was out.

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Don't get me wrong he was poor but I also don't want him coming deep to get the ball like he was. 

We haven't created a single big chance for Watkins since Grealish was out.

We created one last night, which should have cemented the win.

I love the guy.

I think the context of these quotes get lost if you don’t go back far enough.

my original response was to someone saying he was poor because he wasn’t getting the support he needed.  

Whilst that is true for nearly every game since Grealish has been out, last night it wasn’t the case.  Last night he was poor because he couldn’t control the ball or pass it to one of our players  - which is very unusual for him.

The more I respond to these, the more it looks like like I’m repeatedly having a go at him, which isn’t my intention.  If anyone in the team has earned a poor game, It’s Ollie.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Barkley played him through on the right hand side and his shot was saved. Around the 90th minute I believe.

Was offside in the build up. McGinn played the ball way too early to Watkins, who was offside, instead of running with it.

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 1

Â