Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 04/03/2021 at 09:13, Bazmonkey said:

He does get service but its very poor.

Long balls at 100 mph with three defenders round him.

Then should he bring it down he then has to wait for eternity for any support.

Watkins is not a 'play alone upfront player', he scores goals on the front foot, being played in.  At brentford he had this.

We play too rigid with wingers and no one is near him to support.

He then gets forced out wide and often has a speculative shot from far  out...this is where Traore or El Ghazi should be...not on the wings all the time....he could be more central then.

The main problem is the way we play...to slow....either playing forward or crossing it in....yes he had a good header last night but thats rare.....Cross after cross...against 6ft defenders...aint going work.

Look at his goals...all played in quick...either behind the defence.....grealish arsenal.....or an early cross to slide in.

He is doing all the work the so called wingers should be doing.

If he played in a team with more support round him....Leicester...who have Barnes....Maddison....Vardy all working 'together' he would score way more. 

absolutely spot on.....double spot on.

12 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I hope he gets on early tomorrow because that means we will win as the team who scores first this season at VP always wins, mad stat eh

Surely this is because Smith is not reactive to change quick enough, weather it's subs or systems?

On 05/03/2021 at 13:37, foreveryoung said:

I'd wanna be pushing for Champions League places with that many signings. No disrespect chap, but if we cut out the lazy performances and mistakes, we would have had Europa League this season.

Yeah I'd want to be pushing for Champions League. 

But our weaknesses are CDM and LW at the minute. 

Great player. I'm Irish so ive zero interest in how England go in the summer but he's my trump card if im Southgate. He would wreck foreign defences at the euro's i think. They wouldn't have a clue about him and he's just a handful.  No way you'd pick Bamford over him.

• Like 3

Played ace should of scored his two chances just like Konsa and I imagine wolves fan will be frustrated they didnt put there chances away much like us.

Cody made two howler misses though..

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Great player. I'm Irish so ive zero interest in how England go in the summer but he's my trump card if im Southgate. He would wreck foreign defences at the euro's i think. They wouldn't have a clue about him and he's just a handful.  No way you'd pick Bamford over him.

I think they would take him for granted, I also think giving him some international time may help Watkins out to be better in front of goal  Sure he tries hard,he just needs to get those chances in.

Watkins doesnt give up and we must service him more, first half he was seeing some ball time through the middle but that didnt really happen in the second.

New Dean Saunders, so much effort, goals....and also love affair with the woodwork!

Didn't mind his cameo on the left, lively and won us a few corners which is as good as it got for us in the second half up to injury time. If DS thinks a bit more clearly instead of CF must play CF every single minute of every game then that could be a nice little plan B option next season once we get a better upgrade on Davis.

One thing that annoyed me was the second chance he had in first 10 minutes, picks up the ball one v one against Coady. Shift it onto his right and instead of shooting just squares a ball to Traore who's got no chance of getting to it ahead of the defender. Hints at him not having the ruthlessness of the very best as no way a Kane would've squared it in that situation.

• Like 3

I love Watkins, his work rate and desire is unmatched. I'll also very much agree the lad is extremely unlucky but he's not getting away with that decision to pass it to Traore in the first half.

There is absolutely no reason at all to do that. He needs to be far more ruthless. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's scored 10 so far, hit the woodwork 7 times and had 2 or 3 (can't remember) chalked off by VAR). Not exactly a sick burn, mate. 

It was a joke mate. I was intimating that he was too good for us and thus would move on to a better team and be successful. It was subtle to be fair!

Edited by M_Afro
  • Like 1

A real gem. Imagine this guy in an effective setup with quality players feeding him the ball. He's leading the team brilliantly whilst looking for the likes of Traore, Trezeguet and a misfiring middle three to help him out. Hopefully Sanson will continue to start and we can get Jack and El Ghazi back into the team ASAP.

• Like 1

Â