Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I really like the look of him on the wing. I also think it comes naturally to him. Get another striker in the summer and it could be an option to have. 

Weird, I think he looks pretty bad on the wing. Doesn't have good enough ball control & vision for it imo.

Opinions eh! :D 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It was a joke mate. I was intimating that he was too good for us and thus would move on to a better team and be successful. It was subtle to be fair!

Fair enough dude! Hard to tell on here sometimes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AV82 said:

Nice to see him comment on how he should've took the shot instead of passing to Bert when he went past Coady in the box.

Wonder why he didn’t ?as he wasn’t lacking confidence with his shot’s first half

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Weird, I think he looks pretty bad on the wing. Doesn't have good enough ball control & vision for it imo.

Opinions eh! :D 

He's got excellent technique imo. Have a look at how he won penalty at home to Southampton earlier this season, drifted past one of their defenders with ease from out wide who then fouled him.

Even yesterday he simply couldn't get in the game second half but we moved him out wide for last 10 and he at least won a couple of corners, one of which we should've scored from.

I think it's a plan B option we should consider for next season say for home and away games v top 6.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Wonder why he didn’t ?as he wasn’t lacking confidence with his shot’s first half

He knew that with how things are going for him lately, it would have deflected onto the post, bounce back off the keeper's face onto the bar, and cleared off the goal line.

I actually think he is most naturally a number 10 (in say a 4-2-3-1). That was his position he was used in when he broke through into league football. Yes, I know there are quite a few options for Villa in that role (Barkley, Grealish etc). But imagine a Villa side with a different natural front man (Wesley, Abraham) with Grealish left of the three and Watkins linking the forward play as a number ten...and threatening either a central run at defenders and shot on goal ... or the late run into the box beyond the striker.

(don't get me wrong - we Exeter fans are enormously grateful that Brentford played him as a striker so helping to generate the goals and transfer fee. That 15% of Brentford's profit is what is keeping the club going through Covid)

• Like 2

On 07/03/2021 at 15:33, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tbf I’m probably comparing him to yesterday’s wingers. 

If he was so shit as a winger, it obviously took his managers a decade to find out. Lol

If we say ' Wide forward ' people might like that more. Lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's got excellent technique imo. Have a look at how he won penalty at home to Southampton earlier this season, drifted past one of their defenders with ease from out wide who then fouled him.

Even yesterday he simply couldn't get in the game second half but we moved him out wide for last 10 and he at least won a couple of corners, one of which we should've scored from.

I think it's a plan B option we should consider for next season say for home and away games v top 6.

Didn’t Smith say the other day that Watkins doesn’t like playing out wide? Smith said he knows he(Ollie) wouldn’t have liked being moved out wide the other day.  If that is the case and despite footballers have to play where they are told/picked I’m not sure it’s going to be positive long term for us putting Ollie out wide when he doesn’t want to play that role for any material game time.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Didn’t Smith say the other day that Watkins doesn’t like playing out wide? Smith said he knows he(Ollie) wouldn’t have liked being moved out wide the other day.  If that is the case and despite footballers have to play where they are told/picked I’m not sure it’s going to be positive long term for us putting Ollie out wide when he doesn’t want to play that role for any material game time.

Not wanting to hurt his feelings again....he's doing a pretty good job for us so far with room to improve further with his finishing but dosen't mean there aren't any forwards in world football we could potentially sign in next few years to push us on even further into the top 6 and beyond.

Certainly be odd practice to refuse to sign one just in case we upset the existing forward. I'm sure Tammy is hating what's happening to him at Chelsea currently but Tuchel won't give a stuff about that and it's what big clubs who are serious about winning stuff do, they have more than one proven striker in the squad so you have to be flexible and adapt as say Rashford has done at Man. United. Even up to 18 months back he was dreaming of being their CF but didn't prove himself enough in that position and now he's found a nice niche for himself on the left.

Richarlison another at Everton who can play centrally but he's doing his thing out wide given how good Calvert Lewin has been this season. Salah and Son other examples.

If Giroud randomly woke up one day end of the season and decided his one big ambition left in football was to sign for Aston Villa I'd sign him like a shot. Ollie would still get loads of games down the middle but he'd also have to accept having to play sometimes out wide. Either that or the bench so I'm sure he'd prefer to be out on the grass.

This season has been generally excellent but it's not realistic going forward to be demanding european qualification with just one serious striker in the whole squad so eventually we will sign another good one and figure it all out from there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Not wanting to hurt his feelings again....he's doing a pretty good job for us so far with room to improve further with his finishing but dosen't mean there aren't any forwards in world football we could potentially sign in next few years to push us on even further into the top 6 and beyond.

Certainly be odd practice to refuse to sign one just in case we upset the existing forward. I'm sure Tammy is hating what's happening to him at Chelsea currently but Tuchel won't give a stuff about that and it's what big clubs who are serious about winning stuff do, they have more than one proven striker in the squad so you have to be flexible and adapt as say Rashford has done at Man. United. Even up to 18 months back he was dreaming of being their CF but didn't prove himself enough in that position and now he's found a nice niche for himself on the left.

Richarlison another at Everton who can play centrally but he's doing his thing out wide given how good Calvert Lewin has been this season. Salah and Son other examples.

If Giroud randomly woke up one day end of the season and decided his one big ambition left in football was to sign for Aston Villa I'd sign him like a shot. Ollie would still get loads of games down the middle but he'd also have to accept having to play sometimes out wide. Either that or the bench so I'm sure he'd prefer to be out on the grass.

This season has been generally excellent but it's not realistic going forward to be demanding european qualification with just one serious striker in the whole squad so eventually we will sign another good one and figure it all out from there.

I don’t disagree.  I think we need somebody that is an out and out goalscorer...a young Luiz Suarez type figure without the biting 😉.  I don’t think Ollie out wide is good when we have a poor alternative at the moment but if we had a top class striker, that been my issue when it’s been talked about this season.

I think Ollie would be awesome on that wide forward side but it really concerns me he doesn’t want that role.  That’s not positive long term so there will need to be a lot of work on that if the club does decide to buy a top notch striker.  

It’ll be interesting to see what the club does in buying another striker, I think they’ll want Ollie to stay as main striker and just buy an alternative to him and Ollie will stay central is my gut feel.  I think Ollie is awesome and will only get better but we do need options I agree if we want to progress.

29 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Ollie Watkins has hit the woodwork as many or more times (7) than 65 of the 98 teams in Europe's top five leagues this season, just a thought, has anyone checked his boots.

I always thought Jack was the POSTer boy of the club 😂

• Like 2

A man who has in his first season ripped up some defences. Held the ball up well, got double figures , lead the line like a boss and probably should be on 15 PL goals if he had a tiny bit more luck.

He is getting better every game. I can see his touch is getting sharper, his hold up play and speed of thought to retain the ball is getting better. He is reacting a lot quicker and his one touch play is getting crisper.

He will get 20 goals next season no bother and unlike Bent and the like he will actually contribute to all phases of the attack.

Put him on the wing. Pffft.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

A man who has in his first season ripped up some defences. Held the ball up well, got double figures , lead the line like a boss and probably should be on 15 PL goals if he had a tiny bit more luck.

He is getting better every game. I can see his touch is getting sharper, his hold up play and speed of thought to retain the ball is getting better. He is reacting a lot quicker and his one touch play is getting crisper.

He will get 20 goals next season no bother and unlike Bent and the like he will actually contribute to all phases of the attack.

Well said, looks a bargain to me.

Would love to know what his xG is or whatever the terminology is, how many goals should he have if wasn't hitting the post or disallowed goals that should stand etc.

Some wiz on here should know this.

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I do love that he never looks out of breath.  He runs and runs and runs but looks less out of breath than I do after walking upstairs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t disagree.  I think we need somebody that is an out and out goalscorer...a young Luiz Suarez type figure without the biting 😉.  I don’t think Ollie out wide is good when we have a poor alternative at the moment but if we had a top class striker, that been my issue when it’s been talked about this season.

I think Ollie would be awesome on that wide forward side but it really concerns me he doesn’t want that role.  That’s not positive long term so there will need to be a lot of work on that if the club does decide to buy a top notch striker.  

It’ll be interesting to see what the club does in buying another striker, I think they’ll want Ollie to stay as main striker and just buy an alternative to him and Ollie will stay central is my gut feel.  I think Ollie is awesome and will only get better but we do need options I agree if we want to progress.

Oh I agree. Sometimes my posts read like I'm some massive Ollie hater but I've genuinely been impressed how well he's adapted to the prem. Just have my doubts whether he'll become quite good enough to ever fire us into the top 6 for instance. I had no doubts over Benteke when he played for us but the rest of our team was miles off what it was now.

He also needs some help. Again I've defended Davis in the past but his presence around the squad just sitting on the bench is starting to annoy me now as it seems to give us the excuse every window not to go out and get in another decent striker.

Got Wes of course but he'll need to be integrated back into action slowly given how long he's been out and lots of patience will be needed.

Ultimately for all our improvement we wouldn't be making europe while our back up strikers remain one who last scored a league goal in 2017 and the other who last played on the first day of 2020.

• Like 1

Â