Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

What a finish and what a player, seriously got the team out of jail today.

Even with all the plaudits he's getting I still feel he's somehow underrated at the moment. His 2023 numbers have beeb ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

He didnt look match fit to me today tbh

He seems to struggle a little bit against very physical defenders (even though he's up for the challenge) to be honest.

But, again, assist and goal.  He's basically saved us.

Just now, bobzy said:

He seems to struggle a little bit against very physical defenders (even though he's up for the challenge) to be honest.

But, again, assist and goal.  He's basically saved us.

100%. Im not going to complain. Doesnt play well gets that assist and good goal. Hopefully he will be more involved with citeh

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Peter Withe.

Just had a look at Yorke, he got 17,17,12 in a 3 year run but yep didn't get the 4th in double digits 

Withe is obviously our last 20 goal a seasons striker too which I still find mad, it's a defence of ollie when he has his dry spell and the whole "we need a 20+ goal guaranteed striker" we haven't seen one of them for 40 years 

Not sure at what stage he'll be acknowledged as our best PL striker, getting over the fondness of Carew and Benteke will take some doing 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure at what stage he'll be acknowledged as our best PL striker, getting over the fondness of Carew and Benteke will take some doing 

He's way ahead of Carew, laughable to suggest otherwise. I would say he's our best. Just ahead of Yorke now.

• Like 4

It's hard to compare Watkins and Benteke especially now because they both played in such differing quality teams. In terms of sheer ability I think Benteke is better but Ollie's all round game is better and his fitness levels/injury record are much better.

39 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Another one of those classic match threads.

"Watkins isn't doing much".

Assist, goal.

Yeah have to massively praise him because both the second line and third line above was true.  I honestly don’t mind that.  Some games are like that but a great striker can still be productive when he gets a chance and it’s something he’s added to his game under Emery.

Edited by nick76

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's hard to compare Watkins and Benteke especially now because they both played in such differing quality teams. In terms of sheer ability I think Benteke is better but Ollie's all round game is better and his fitness levels/injury record are much better.

Benteke had to many injuries and took to much time to get back upto speed after as well. He must have spent 5 months injured in his time with us, great striker in his day though. Yorke had his better days in a different shirt. Carew......nowhere near tbh, good though.

Watkins is just a better team player for us than any that come before him and he still has 5 more years to cement his place at the top. 

Â