Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Was impressed with Ollie today. Obviously a quiet game for him but he played for the team and didn't get pissed off at not scoring like he would have done previously.

That's because he's in a good space within the team, confident in his role and learning everyday from a brilliant coach - in my opinion anyway.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I can’t wait for him to beat Agbonlahor’s premier league goals record. It genuinely annoys me every time he’s mentioned as our top scorer. 

It annoys me that we talk of premier league goals rather than just league goals.  Agbonlahor is a mere footnote when you have Harry Hampton out on 242 or something.

edit: sorry, it was 215 in the league and 242 in all competitions.   2 short of Billy Walker on 244 in all competitions.

Edited by Stephen_Evans
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephen_Evans said:

It annoys me that we talk of premier league goals rather than just league goals.  Agbonlahor is a mere footnote when you have Harry Hampton out on 242 or something.

Harry's hampton scored 242 goals for Villa? Impressive.

My partners son has become a massive Ollie fan (and we have got him an OW shirt for his birthday). Is there any way to get something signed or a message from Ollie for him? He’s started playing football regularly and wants to be like Ollie but confidence holds him back, so thought it might make a good morale booster. He absolutely follow me everywhere and wants to come to a game with me one day too 😊

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

and wants to be like Ollie but confidence holds him back

Sounds just like Ollie.  When Ollie is high on confidence he’s brilliant but when low on confidence he’s poor…Ollie’s confidence holds him back from being elite.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sounds just like Ollie.  When Ollie is high on confidence he’s brilliant but when low on confidence he’s poor…Ollie’s confidence holds him back from being elite.

I said that to him ❤️

I love Ollie.

but I do get a tad frustrated for him at times.....He could have his numbers serving him much better with a few better finishes....Ollie is just a tad away from being awesome.

We are doing great, so I am not getting on to him....I just feel he is his own worst enemy at times....He should be the nailed on bridesmaid to Harry Kane.

Instead Wilson and Toney keep hovering around like the 2 ugly sisters.....he should be streets ahead of them, if he could only get to some of these easy chances.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I can’t wait for him to beat Agbonlahor’s premier league goals record. It genuinely annoys me every time he’s mentioned as our top scorer. 

It's really sad that that's the case. But his name has become synonymous with the take-the-money-and-put-your-feet-up era that lasted so so long at the club. Imagine such a thing now? Equally desperate for Oliie to take the crown.

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

I love Ollie.

but I do get a tad frustrated for him at times.....He could have his numbers serving him much better with a few better finishes.

We are doing great, so I am not getting on to him....I just feel he is his own worst enemy at times....He should be the nailed on bridesmaid to Harry Kane.

Instead Wilson and Toney keep hovering around like the 2 ugly sisters.....he should be streets ahead of them, if he could only get to some of these easy chances.

Wilson is a miles better finisher than Ollie, it's just his injury record that has prevented him being absolute top class.

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

I love Ollie.

but I do get a tad frustrated for him at times.....He could have his numbers serving him much better with a few better finishes.

11 minutes ago, Risso said:

Wilson is a miles better finisher than Ollie, it's just his injury record that has prevented him being absolute top class.

Ye, Watkins has a lot of areas of his game where he is levels above Wilson and Toney.

Unfortunately, the one area where he is clearly behind both is finishing and being clinical.

i dont want to be down on Watkins he is a very good striker who has a lot to his game, but he isnt elite.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Ye, Watkins has a lot of areas of his game where he is levels above Wilson and Toney.

Unfortunately, the one area where he is clearly behind both is finishing and being clinical.

i dont want to be down on Watkins he is a very good striker who has a lot to his game, but he isnt elite.

I agree.

but quite apart from the finishsing....the other 2 are more aggressive with their opponent.

They make their opponent, make mistakes....Ollie tends to wait for the mistakes, more than they do.

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

wonder if there's still people out there that think we can get better?

I think there’s always going to be some who think we could have a more consistent finisher leading the line.

They’d probably be correct.

But we’d lose so, so much elsewhere. And fwiw I think he’s probably a pretty good finisher relative to other forwards, although I’d have to see his various xG stats to back that up.

Â