Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Can't get my head around how many good attacking players England have and yet our tactics seem to revolve around getting defenders to shoot from 20 yards out.  Southgate is so negative and is being bailed out time and again because the players are too good to not create a chance despite the way he tries to get them to play.  I mean just think what Emery would do with this group of players (well actually he wouldn't pick some of them that seem to have photos of Gareth in a compromising position).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Foden saka and grealish behind him and we're still this shit

Anyone seen our xG or chances created? Both feel really low

Grealish and Foden probably have playing in the National League North weighing on their minds

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Hasn't made it into any highlights even the 9min long ones so whatever this "glaring miss" was. 

He was offside is why. It was an absolute howler though, so bad it looked like he knew he was offside so didn’t try and score the header.

• Like 1

i genuinely cant remember any miss, or anything at all from him really bar the block on him in the first minute after some decent movement to get on to the deflected grealish pass

kane exactly the same

i can remember us hitting the post and a rico lewis daisy cutter but other than that england did nothing

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i genuinely cant remember any miss, or anything at all from him really bar the block on him in the first minute after some decent movement to get on to the deflected grealish pass

kane exactly the same

i can remember us hitting the post and a rico lewis daisy cutter but other than that england did nothing

He headed wide after a good ball in from foden but it wasn't a great chance. 

17 hours ago, allani said:

Can't get my head around how many good attacking players England have and yet our tactics seem to revolve around getting defenders to shoot from 20 yards out.  Southgate is so negative and is being bailed out time and again because the players are too good to not create a chance despite the way he tries to get them to play.  I mean just think what Emery would do with this group of players (well actually he wouldn't pick some of them that seem to have photos of Gareth in a compromising position).

Don’t even think about the Sultan leaving AVFC even if it is to replace that clown Southgate. Let’s face it we all have mothers who could replace him and do a better job. Mothers or ageing Aunties anyway! I’d have to put forward my Scottish Mother in law, who has no interest in football or any idea about it either, so a seem less transition anyway! I’ll see if she’s got a waistcoat so nobody would notice , except she’s a bit short. Father in law could do it though he’s quite tall and has no football management experience at any level so he’d slot in nicely for the clown. He’d probably agree to it in the belief thst as a Scot he could do damage to the England team, little foes he know!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Hasn't made it into any highlights even the 9min long ones so whatever this "glaring miss" was. 

There were 9 minutes of highlights? 🤯

I don't think I will be tuning in to them. 😂

6 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Dunno what his performance last night means, I hope he still goes to the Euros, but it’s something beaky might hold against him. Never mind the appalling performance of Slabhead, worst player on the pitch again, but he’ll still be in Southgate’s starting 11 come next summer. Which is precisely why Southgate is a complete moron.

England didn’t play to Ollie’s strengths but he was very static when we had the ball and his movement could have been better. He’s not a target man like Kane, his strength is running into space and using his pace. But at international level you have to be more intelligent in your runs and I don’t think he’s shown that. And he’s always got a bad miss in him, just see that header against Fulham as an example. 

I think if we want to be mixing with the elite clubs in years to come then we will probably need better than Ollie. It’s just how it is, but I say that regrettably because I do really like the bloke, he works hard and he’s a good guy to boot. But he’s never going to be an elite striker in my opinion and if we want to be an elite club that is what we will require.

Like you, I like him and see his many attributes...Ollie has been very consistent over the years, in his goal scoring, albeit modest...ish numbers for a striker.

I am happy for Ollie to stay with us, because over the years, we have had a lot worse.....but if he wants to improve......his football Intelligence ( movement) and his aggression, in unison, has to improve.....He should score more goals than he does

Ollie will always score, certain types of goals...but equally will struggle to score other types.....There is that instrinsic spirit of making things happen, Andy Gray had it, Peter Withe had it, Ivan Toney has it......Ollie tends to wait for things to happen, I am talking particularly around the Box.....For me he is missing out, on certain opportunities, other strikers see....I am not saying Ollie is not brave, but I am suggesting, he don't see those chances/opportunities, or fails to make something happen.

Ollie likes to run on to things, and does it very well, but he doesn't mix it up in the box, and create chaos, which can lead to goals.

That also leads on to us as a team, missing out on those elusive goals, other strikers get.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 21/11/2023 at 15:49, TRO said:

Like you, I like him and see his many attributes...Ollie has been very consistent over the years, in his goal scoring, albeit modest...ish numbers for a striker.

I am happy for Ollie to stay with us, because over the years, we have had a lot worse.....but if he wants to improve......his football Intelligence ( movement) and his aggression, in unison, has to improve.....He should score more goals than he does

Ollie will always score, certain types of goals...but equally will struggle to score other types.....There is that instrinsic spirit of making things happen, Andy Gray had it, Peter Withe had it, Ivan Toney has it......Ollie tends to wait for things to happen, I am talking particularly around the Box.....For me he is missing out, on certain opportunities, other strikers see....I am not saying Ollie is not brave, but I am suggesting, he don't see those chances/opportunities, or fails to make something happen.

Ollie likes to run on to things, and does it very well, but he doesn't mix it up in the box, and create chaos, which can lead to goals.

That also leads on to us as a team, missing out on those elusive goals, other strikers get.

Ollie was probably surprised, confused and effected by the fact he is used to being coached by an elite manager and not his postman’s best mate’s dog walker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â