Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

One of our players gets picked for England, has a decent game, and Hey PRESTO, he is linked with a top club.

No wonder I have mixed feelings about our players getting an England call up.

Overreacting massively here. He's been linked with a move for ages.

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

One of our players gets picked for England, has a decent game, and Hey PRESTO, he is linked with a top club.

No wonder I have mixed feelings about our players getting an England call up.

He just signed a 5 year contract extension like a few days ago 🤣

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Reminds me of another long term contract extension of a star player who's still tearing it up for Vill...... oh wait. 

This is completely different. Jack had us in a weak negotiating position and at the time and we got 100m for him too. 

A release clause is the rarest thing in PL so I'm confident we won't be having any of those in any contracts again 

Just now, CVByrne said:

This is completely different. Jack had us in a weak negotiating position and at the time and we got 100m for him too. 

A release clause is the rarest thing in PL so I'm confident we won't be having any of those in any contracts again 

Believe me, I bloody hope you're right. 

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

More whispers on Twix that Arsenal plan on trying to sign Ollie in January. 

It's possible that he penned a new contract with us to ensure a bigger fee out if respect for Villa. 

He is a boyhood Gunner.

I don’t think he’s a big enough name to negotiate that and I don’t think we’re small enough to accept it any more.

Could be wrong of course.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2023 at 05:02, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t think he’s a big enough name to negotiate that and I don’t think we’re small enough to accept it any more.

Could be wrong of course.

Agree with overall point.

I could see a world we were both happy with a buyout. A fee we're very happy with and one that doesn't completely shut him off. £80m?

0% chance Watkins is sold to Arsenal in January.  

I'm not saying our players can never leave etc, we're not a CL club yet and that will always bring an allure, but we're not selling big players mid-season. Just ain't happening.

We're also much better placed to hold on to our best players all round - but inevitably if we can't reach the top tier competitions and they can, there's a chance we lose them as some stage, but for big fees and then it's on us to replace well.

We're not quite at the top of the food chain yet but we are getting closer. CL is totally possible under Unai, and at that stage all bets are off as to where this club can go. 

Yeah he doesn't sign a 5 year deal then leave 3 months later.  Or even next summer unless we get an eye-watering offer and we've had a bad finish to the season. If he were to leave, it's 18 months at the earliest.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2023 at 00:35, skarroki said:

As much as I want Watkins in the squad I think based on the ability Toney has shown he should be 2nd choice behind Kane. 

I think Wilson is 3rd choice in a lot of people's eyes and he does perform very well but his legs are made of shatterproof rulers. Watkins is indestructible and good so I think he has to go, he's a safe bet and not much of a downgrade if at all on other options. 

Brentford fans that post on here say they would prefer to have Ollie over Toney

Toney has scored 7 and 14 non penalty goals in his last two seasons from 7.4 and 13.6 xG

Watkins has scored 13, 10 and 14 non penalty goals from 13, 11 and 14.6 xG 

So they both score at their rate of xG and Toney has never outscored Watkins from open play. When it comes to goals it's Toney's penalties which skew his stats rather than his open play goal scoring. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Football ain't played on spreadsheets lad.

You can see and understand more if you combine what we see with what the data tells us. This is why the people who know the most (the coaching and data teams at elite clubs) use both. 

• Like 2

Â