Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, By the arse of McGinn said:

Right, let’s get something straight. My comments on £20M were tongue in cheek to emphasise my personal opinions about his talent or lack of. I also stated that by todays market we would get more. 

Personally, I think don’t think he can take us any further. 

If he kicks on this season and produces more like his first season then I think he’s the guy we should stick with.

Whereas if his general play is more like last season then as you say we should look for someone who can take us further up the league. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If he kicks on this season and produces more like his first season then I think he’s the guy we should stick with.

Whereas if his general play is more like last season then as you say we should look for someone who can take us further up the league. 

I’d be more than happy to eat my words if that happened 

I’m worried now it’s not just poor form for so long, that that first season was just a one season wonder or Grealish just made him look better than he is.  Even aside from scoring his all round play has decreased so much, that the attributes people say about him are much less obvious nowadays.  Archer’s performance all around completely overshadowed Ollie’s little contribution.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m worried now it’s not just poor form for so long, that that first season was just a one season wonder or Grealish just made him look better than he is.  Even aside from scoring his all round play has decreased so much, that the attributes people say about him are much less obvious nowadays.  Archer’s performance all around completely overshadowed Ollie’s little contribution.

At the end of the day he's a limited forward. He's suited to direct, counter attacking play and taking advantage of opposition mistakes. He's not what we need anymore and would look more comfortable in a side like Wolves or Wet Spam.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Needs one in off his ass

Or maguire to set him up with a tap in 

He scored against Walsall with a good finish. Since then he’s made two 45 minute appearances without a goal. Hardly a goal drought is it? 

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Different system - thrived with wide forwards where his remit was to play centrally and get the ball wide (Grealish/Traore/whoever).  FWIW, I thought he still did well last season, but was much more about holding the ball up, making runs into channels and allowing the central midfielders (Buendia/Coutinho/Ramsey) to break into space.

He's played 3 seasons as a striker and each of them has required him to play in a different manner.  Of course, he also needs to improve his game.  I think it's a mix of the two, personally.

Gerrard needs to support him best he can heading into the season. Not sure what sort of support he would react to but I get the feeling he'd prefer an arm round the shoulder for the most part.

Delicate lad is our Ollie. He'll be on four goals in two games and if he misses a sitter it's like his world is going to end.

I think he'll start at Bournemouth.

I'm not sure if this has been show on here already but I thought I'd post it. Glad it show Ollie knows where his failings were last season and is trying to iron them out of his game.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12654473/scott-chickelday-is-the-individual-striker-coach-helping-ollie-watkins-and-harvey-elliott-with-their-finishing

It has already been a busy summer for Scott Chickelday. England striker Ollie Watkins and Liverpool’s Harvey Elliott have both turned to him for help with their finishing. “It is pretty full on,” Chickelday tells Sky Sports. “I absolutely love it.”

The session with Watkins took place at Aston Villa's training ground before the rest of the squad returned for pre-season. "He has set himself a goal target this season. It is about that repetition so he is more confident of hitting that target. He just wants to improve."

• Like 1

On 19/07/2022 at 08:14, It's Your Round said:

I’m always shocked when I wander in to this thread, I really don’t understand why so many are so down on Watkins. Some of the comments are ridiculous. 

I agree....his goals ratio is not that bad, around the same as Ings and Tammy.....far better than Gabby's was.

However, we need him to score, at crucial times and he can be a bit random.

Needs this season to step up.

I think in order to improve his goals output, he needs to be in and around the box more......He drifts out too far and his game is suffering, he needs to be more selfish, and stay around the area, in a more central position.

If he wants to be a striker, he needs to stop being a forward, if you get my drift.

Edited by TRO

Can't control a ball, can't pass a ball, can't remotely one touch play, can't link up, can't strike a ball cleanly but he works hard and runs the channel.

Performances that have certainly given Gerrard 'a lot to think about'

Will start 30 league games regardless.

Works hard.

• Like 3

Â